It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2003, 02:38 AM   #1
Inactive

GertieMae HB User
Phobias-Fears and Motherhood

Hello-

Iam getting married in the Summer and have a question.My Fiance has two small children,and Im consuming myself with worries at how I can be the best Mommy to them when I fear so much.

For example:I have a slight fear of going to the Doctor.I go but dont like to.Iam TERRIFIED of Dentists,but go if/when I must.Children need frequent check-ups and get sick from time to time.

Iam nurturing and have Motherly instincts so there will never be a problem with the children not being taken care of properly.

Do you think it will help me or make me a nervous wreck everytime they get sick or need medical care?

I know it is ridiculous,but I cant continue letting my Phobias and fears get in the way of Motherhood.

Im concerned what Pregnancy will be like for me because of my fears and Phobias.I so much want to be a Mother.

Old 12-06-2003, 04:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User
Re: Phobias-Fears and Motherhood

Hi Gertie

Bless your heart You sound like you are trying so hard. I think you will be an excellent mom I think you are focussing too much on your worries. Once the kids are around, they will keep you occupied and you won't focuss so much on the doctor/dentist thing. You will be more worried about them. And just like the pregnancy, I think you will be focussed more on your baby and not worried about being scared.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you hun,

Chantel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 05:31 AM   #3

Havisham HB User
Smile Re: Phobias-Fears and Motherhood

HI,
As the mother of two small kids (well, one four, one 13 - a whole different set of problems!) I know where you're coming from. I am TERRIFIED of the dentist, can't even go when I know I need to! However, I find that taking the kids to the doctors or the dentists is much less stressful than going for myself.
As for pregnancy, it's one of those things that you just kind of do and one day it's all over. Not much help, but you'll get through it!!!
Hang in there - it's all good!!
Not everything you do is going to be a masterpiece, but you get out there, and you really try, and sometimes it really happens. The other times you're just stretching your soul..... Maya Angelou.[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=Indigo]

Old 12-06-2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Inactive

GertieMae HB User

Thank you both so much!Iam a protective,nurturing & loving woman who loves babies and Children.

I remember before having Panic Attacks and being so fearful and Anxious,I handled stressful situations more calmly when kids and even adults were sick and needed medical attention.

I just pray that it will be the same when I become a full fledged Mommy!I worry worry worry waaaay to much!!

Old 12-07-2003, 06:59 AM   #5

Havisham HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertieMae
Thank you both so much!Iam a protective,nurturing & loving woman who loves babies and Children.

I remember before having Panic Attacks and being so fearful and Anxious,I handled stressful situations more calmly when kids and even adults were sick and needed medical attention.

I just pray that it will be the same when I become a full fledged Mommy!I worry worry worry waaaay to much!!

I know exactly what you mean - if we have to go anywhere where we have to drive any distance, I lay awake for nights before hand worrying that we'll crash and all be killed (it's really not me that I worry about it for, it's my kids!). All the time there's this rational voice inside my head saying, 'hey, chill out!'.
Ikeep trying to laugh at myself when I get like that - it's really the only way to handle it!
Another good way of improving things is to get in your car (alone - I hope that's an option!) and turn up some music really loud and sing at the top of your voice! Don't worry about what other people think, just sing and really let yourself go - it's great!!
Hang in there and feel free to chat if y ou'd like!
Not everything you do is going to be a masterpiece, but you get out there, and you really try, and sometimes it really happens. The other times you're just stretching your soul..... Maya Angelou.[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=Indigo]

Closed Thread