It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2003, 02:56 PM   #1

dd78749 HB User
Med phobia

I was wondering if anybody else has an extreme med phobia like myself. Right now I take clonazepam .25mg twice a day and it works reasonably well for my anxiety and panic attacks. I took Paxil (varying dosages) for 3 years but weaned myself off it over a year ago because I was just tired of the side effects.

Now my current dilemma is taking two antibiotics that I was prescribed for diverticulosis/diverticulitis. I've had the meds now since Friday afternoon (12-5-03) and am too fearful to take them because I looked them up on the internet and some of the possible side effects are extremely scary. The antibiotics are Flagyl and Levaquin. The doctor prescribed them even though he didn't find any evidence or symptoms of infections (urine and blood work showed no elevated white blood count) and I'm not having any fever, chills, nausea or vomiting. The doctor said that this was just the standard treatment protocol when having abdominal pain due to diverticulitis. As this is the first attack I've had and it actually feels like it's getting better just on its own, I'm very hesitant to take medications that I don't need and am extremely paranoid about potential side effects and adverse drug reactions.

Has anybody ever taken these antibiotics and if so, any problems with them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
Re: Med phobia

Did you inquire about getting different, older antibiotics for this condition? Newer ones seem to have more side effects than older ones. Be very insistant about it, because doctors usually want to prescribe the newer ones at the urging and promotions of the drug companies since they cost more too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Jennita is right.
I have tons of allergies and don't like to try new medications...or food for that matter, just in case I might be allergic to it.

I know that Erythromycin works for me and that I don't have any problems with it.
That's what my Doctor always gives me, but I lost a filling a few months ago and my Dentist wanted to give me a different antibiotic.
I flat out told her that I wouldn't take anything but the Erythromycin she wasn't happy that I wouldn't take what she wanted to give me, but she did end up giving my the one I wanted.

I look at it this way, I was paying her and I wasn't going to take something just because she wanted to write a prescription for it.

If you know that a certain antibiotic works for you and you're not scared to take it, you have every right to ask for it.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User

I also fear taking meds. I think it's going to cause me to have side effects that are similar to my derealization episodes that frightens me. It took me 3 years to finally start taking meds for my panic disorder. Motrin and antibiotics are the only meds I can take without freaking out. Flagyl and Levaquin are both very common antibiotics. I've taken both of them for different reasons and though everyone can react differently to meds, I did fine. Just know the the Flagyl tastes really nasty and leaves a horrible taste in your mouth if you don't get it down fast. I agree with the other posters. If you are that uncomfortable taking them talk to your doctor about something else. However, I wouldn't decide against the meds just because you think you are getting better. It's important to follow their orders. If you tell them you don't feel comfortable taking them and they say it's not necessary at this time, then you can go without them. Otherswise, you need to take those meds or something else that treats your diagnoses. Take care!!

Old 12-07-2003, 10:31 PM   #5

dd78749 HB User

Thanks to everyone who replied. Lots of good advice. I think I'll call my doctor tomorrow and inquire if I could take other antibiotics that I've taken previously without any problems.

It's just so hard, even when you know that reactions are very unlikely, to try new meds. I've never had a severe reaction to any type of medication that I've ever taken, but I get myself all anxious and then think this is going to be the one that will do me in! Aaargh....it just drives me nuts!

Old 12-07-2003, 11:28 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Good advice, Gracie! How are you these days?

I'm glad we could help you dd. Hopefully you can get something better for your condition.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jennita,

I'm doing great...still weaning off the Xanax with no problem.
I was starting to think that maybe it was taking me to long, but my Doctor told that it didn't matter, going slowly was always best.

Other than that I need to finish my Christmas shopping...I was going to go on Friday, but we got hit with a snowstorm!
I'll have to do it sometime this week...before it snows again

How are you?

Old 12-08-2003, 12:32 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

I'm doing good, thanks....glad to hear you are having no problems with the tapering...your doc is right about the slow part. The faster way usually ends up bad...boy do I know that. Before you know it, you'll be off of it anyway.

Christmas shopping it pretty stressful, but I can't imagine not being able to do it according to my schedule; since we never have severe weather here in South. Calif., I can go anytime! I hope you can finish soon (last minute is the worst, ugh. ) I'm already 98% done!

Old 12-08-2003, 01:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Christmas shopping stressful?
Whatever gave you that idea?

Yes, it is stressful...not the shopping itself, just all the rotten nasty people.
I mean come on it's Christmas, don't they know they're supposed to be nice?
I makes me so mad when I see someone screaming at a salesperson because the store is out of something...as though that poor salesperson has any control over that!!

Well, I think I'll be able to finish on Wednesday..we're supposed to have a heatwave...in the 40's!!!
I'm almost done, Hubby, kids and cats are done.
Only have my Niece, Sister, BIL and MIL to finish...MIL is a real hard person to buy for and of course Hubby is no help!!!

Glad you're doing well.

Closed Thread