It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2003, 11:11 AM   #1

Serena1 HB User
Vomiting Phobia

Does anyone else suffer from this? Sometimes I feel so sick and make myself naseous because I am so scared that i might get ill. It's gotten to the extremes that sometimes i can't even eat in case i get sick and throw it up. I have really important exams coming up and I can't cope with this phobia and studying when being sick is constyantly on my mind, does anyone else have problems like this?

Old 12-16-2003, 08:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLee HB User
Re: Vomiting Phobia

You are not alone! There are lots of people scared of vomitting around here! I hate to do it myself, but my real fear is of other people throwing up. I am scared to have children because of morning sickness and then the children throwing up. It is really affecting me. I am thinking about getting hypnotized--I got hypnotized to not be afraid of spiders and it worked alright. Anyways, just thought I'd let you know there are others out there like you! Good luck with your exams, I'm taking some this week too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2003, 08:40 PM   #3

stephr217 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLee
I am scared to have children because of morning sickness and then the children throwing up.
I am the same way I want children but this phobia makes me not want to have morning sickness. I also wont take any medications that have vomiting as a side effect. It is a wierd phobia I realize but I suffer from it. You not alone.

Old 12-17-2003, 11:13 AM   #4

VeganLady HB User

I'm a big emetophobic, as well. If a stomach virus is going around I lock myself away. I can't watch many movies or television shows because I'm afraid someone might vomit. When I go in public I freak out because I'm afraid someone might vomit. Or worse, I may vomit in front of them! I have a pretty long, as in 5 years, non-vomitting period.

So, nope, you are not alone. I heard that this phobia is actually rather common.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-21-2004, 05:28 PM   #5

Skippy HB User

Check out this site
[url]http://www.gut-reaction.freeserve.co.uk/emetophobia.htm[/url]

Everything there fits me to the T.

edit: Links are not working - Copy and paste the link

Last edited by Skippy; 06-21-2004 at 05:35 PM.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
eleanor_rigby

Wow, I guess there are a lot of people who share this phobia.

When I was in fourth grade, I began to have an extreme obsessive phobia of germs and raw eggs and meat. I wouldn't touch it, because I was afraid I would get sick. This then escalated into a fear that I would throw up. I was terrified to death of vomiting in school. Of course this anxiety made me feel nauseous all the time because of the strong powers of the mind and they was obsession hits you in the gut. I would be on pins and needles all day, worrying that any minute I would have to run to the bathroom and throw up. I was 9 years old!!!! If any one of my friends threw up, I would feel angry and nervous and I would freak out. If my sister had stomach flu, I was so afraid that I was uncompassionate and downright mean to her, because I was afraid I would get it. I wouldn't go out to the movies for fear I would throw up in the theatre. When I went to the mall once with my mom and sis, I all of a sudden knew I was going to throw up and I went to the bathroom. I stood in front of the sink, waiting for it, but of course I never did. I waited so long that my mother, frustrated and hurting for me, picked me up and dragged me to the car. I was crying and made her stop at every trash can because I thought I was going to be sick. I wouldn't eat in school for fear I would throw up there. It got so bad that my lack of eating made my stomach chew itself up, so of course I really did throw up - worst fears coming true because of what OCD can do to you. The strange thing is, when I was little I was fascinated with throwing up. I liked to read stories in which the male heroes threw up. Maybe it made me want to be motherly to them and care for them, lol.

Just so you know, you are once again not alone. This was one of the toughest times in my life. It went away for a while in fifth grade, and came back full throttle in sixth and eighth grades. I don't know what made me get over it; I guess I just grew up a little and learned not to focus on it. The obesessional focus went away. I learned to take control of my mind in that aspect and my gut as well. I took a lot of deep breaths and tried to get outside of myself and think about other things. I hope you find help soon. If you need advice, don't hesitate to ask!

Eleanor

Old 06-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

i know exactly how you feel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it sucks big time!! just today i went for lunch and my bacon didnt look right and didnt taste right hubby said it was fine but i refused to eat the other half anf wondered for hours if i had food poisening its been 8 hrs now so i doubt it but it still upsets me. after this i got very seaty and felt hot and flush and dizzy and wanted to cry but not because i felt ill but because i was worried i might be ill. i cant watch vomiting on tv it makes me want to vomit ironically i have the strongest stomach ever!!! i mean no one likes throwing up but i constantly think about it specially when im eating at someones house, at my house im ok now i will only eat things that dont spoil easily. id rather have teeth pulled than vomit. i have 4 kids and worry every night if theyre going to vomit, my hubby takes care of it if they do and i feel neasous as soon as i know someones throwing up, it really upsets me. i mean i always hated it but since my ocd got bad for a while now thats really kicked in but since i started my meds its SO much better, dont know if ur on any. but yes this is a terrible phobia i think its beause we have no control. i remember the last time i vomited from something i ate 5 yrs ago im not sure what it was but i remember thinking after i did it once how it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be and relivied i lived through it also 3 yrs ago i had the stomach flu and threw up and dry heaved for 2 entire weeks it was so horrible!!! but im not sure why im like this now. i have never let it obsess my thoughts or make me worry everytime i eat something that i was vomit until lately. i tell u gravol is my best friend and i go into a HUGE panic when i worry i may throw up, its not nice but i mean we cant control it right, good luck and get on some meds if you can trust me mine helped.p.s my hubby sees vomiting as nothing more than an inconvenience i think he is insane!!!!

Old 06-22-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
(female)

JessiMessy HB User

Oh my god, I had no idea this was so common just like skippy, everything fits me to a t, the not wanting to get pregnant, the locking myself away if the stomach virus is going around, I know this other girl who is just as bad as me. If this is so common, then they should have some kind of help for it, it really does affect my life in a negative way, I mean to not want to have children because of it, thats serious. Good luck on your tests

Old 06-24-2004, 08:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Let me be yet another person to add that you're not alone. This is stupid to remember, but the last time I vomited was January 15, 1991 when I was 12 years old. I was riding quite the vomit-free streak over 13 years and I was convinced I could will myself not to be sick. But last February, it happened. I woke up at 3:30 in the morning and knew it was going to happen. I was terrified and kept pacing up and down the hall between the bathroom and my bedroom. Now, my roommate was visiting family at the time and I was so scared that I would choke and die. And then it happened and it was over quickly. I think it was just something I ate that didn't settle because that was the one time it happened that night. Now I think I may have gotten over my fear slightly, but I could definitely be happy not vomiting for another 13 years!

Old 06-26-2004, 10:24 AM   #10
(female)

daftthing HB User

My girlfriend is emetophobic, she's doing much better, but is still fighting.

Old 06-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
(female)

Dixie Chick HB User

We are certainly not alone. I last threw up November 10, 1967. I swore I would never do it again. My kids know they are not allowed to throw up ( or at least don't tell me about it). I run out of public restrooms if I even hear someone coughing. I don't want to see it, hear it or smell it.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:48 AM   #12

seminolechic HB User

Whenever I Feel Nasuos I Always Freak-out About Throwing Up. I Have To Keep Coughing To Make Sure I Won't.
You Are Not Alone.

Closed Thread