It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #1
Inactive

GertieMae HB User
Question Phobias

Hi,

Are there any of you that absolutely refuse to do something from being Phobic?Not meaning Agoraphobia only..

Like if you have a fear of Doctors,rain or storms etc.How do you work thru this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: Phobias

I'm not sure this is really what you're looking for, but here goes.

I'm scared of thunderstorms, so if we have one and I'm here alone with my kids I just turn up the tv so I don't hear it.
I'm scared of clowns and I won't go to parades or God forbid the Circus.
I love Stephen King, I've have every book he's ever written I even have "It" but I've never opened the book, because I know it involves a Clown....I know I shouldn't avoid it and I know they aren't really going to hurt me, but I just can't look at them.
Okay, this is the strange...I'm scared to death of birds.
I blame this one on my Mother...when I was very young the movie "The Birds" was on televison and she was watching it, I told her that the movie was scary, but she told me it wasn't real and that birds won't really do that.
I know she was probably right, but everytime I see one all I can think is that they are going to peck my eyes out.
Last one...WalMart...it's not that they scare me in anyway, it's that the lighting in those places freaks me out for some reason.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 12:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Cool Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciecat
I'm not sure this is really what you're looking for, but here goes.

I'm scared of thunderstorms, so if we have one and I'm here alone with my kids I just turn up the tv so I don't hear it.
I'm scared of clowns and I won't go to parades or God forbid the Circus.
I love Stephen King, I've have every book he's ever written I even have "It" but I've never opened the book, because I know it involves a Clown....I know I shouldn't avoid it and I know they aren't really going to hurt me, but I just can't look at them.
Okay, this is the strange...I'm scared to death of birds.
I blame this one on my Mother...when I was very young the movie "The Birds" was on televison and she was watching it, I told her that the movie was scary, but she told me it wasn't real and that birds won't really do that.
I know she was probably right, but everytime I see one all I can think is that they are going to peck my eyes out.
Last one...WalMart...it's not that they scare me in anyway, it's that the lighting in those places freaks me out for some reason.
Dear Graciecat,
I guess I could say that I am afraid on snakes. I don't know if I am afraid or just respect them. I have an unual ability to spot them now. I simply let them have their space and I go my way. I have had many encounters with snakes by accident when I was growing up and as a young man. I guess that is why I am cautious now an know what to look for. I once I stood straddle legged over a coiled rattlesnake for what seemed the longest time. I kept my cool as long as I could and I don't think I bent my legs when I finally went straight up in the air and ran for at least a 100 yards before I could get my composure back. I walked in the rear of a few guys crossing a narrow weeded area between two rice fields once. The others were already out ahead and when I looked at the grass ahead of me moving all over the place, I realize what it was and how thick they were in there and I stepped back off to the edge. I said, "Hey you guys, Look down at your feet". I have never seen such a high step run as they did coming back to where I was in my life. I mean they were really getting some gold medal height. I was bitten in the arm by a rattlesnake once and I could see the hospital from where I was at along the river. I had the other guy drive me to the emergency room and I went in. It was very crowded and there was a long line of people waiting to be helped. I was not in the least bit of panic so I got in line. I calmly waited until the nurse at the desk would ask back along the line, "What are you here for"? When she finally got to me, I calmly said, "Ah yes, I've been bitten by a rattlesnake in the arm", an held up my arm or club at that point. She turned around to the window and their was all this noise and camotion going on in the treatment area and the doors flew open with two guys pushing a gerny. They grabbed me and put me on it and flew back through the doors into the treatment room. The doctor then asked for a scapal and suction device and at that point I realized I guess I was supposed to be freaking out, so naturally I did. I lay there for about 10 minutes while the Doctor was treating others and the suction device fell off onto the floor. I really freaked out then. Started yelling, "Hey Doc it fell off, if fell off, get this thing back on". The snake did not harm me, but they certainly scared the crap out of me. And there were many other encouters as well and that is why I kind of have a phobia of snakes or I should say respect for their environment. I have other phobias also but I just don't think about these things. It is not the clown that scares us, it is what intention actually hides behind the mask. We can not allow our childred to be trusting as we once could and for a very good reason.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-08-2004, 06:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

You have a way when you tell a story...makes you feel like you can actually see what's happening.

You're hit the nail on the head with the clowns.
What has always scared me, is what's behind the paint...for some reason all I can think of is that they're evil.
I don't know, must have something to do with the fact that most of them have painted on smiles and for some reason that makes me think that they aren't smiling behind the paint.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Unhappy Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciecat
You have a way when you tell a story...makes you feel like you can actually see what's happening.

You're hit the nail on the head with the clowns.
What has always scared me, is what's behind the paint...for some reason all I can think of is that they're evil.
I don't know, must have something to do with the fact that most of them have painted on smiles and for some reason that makes me think that they aren't smiling behind the paint.
Dear Graciecat,
Now days you have to do this with smiles that aren't painted on as well. Evil has many faces and it is not a phobia at all. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
Inactive

GertieMae HB User

Im more Phobic of Thunderstorm(like you Gracie).Iam usually fine if Im at home,but if Im at someones house and they get all scared I freak.

Like this last Summer.We had several Tornados where I live and I was at someones house and they made me a grown Woman get in the hallway.Ive never seen this person act this way before.It was like we're going to be hit and all die.

I dont like walking or driving in Snow or Ice so I refuse at all costs.Im afraid of heighths,snakes.I dont like being in a boat out on water.I was in a wreck once(me alone)and for the longest time after,I was comfortable with my own driving but to ride with someone else I flipped.

These are just a few things Im Phobic of.I refuse doing or being apart of.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
Wink Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertieMae
Im more Phobic of Thunderstorm(like you Gracie).Iam usually fine if Im at home,but if Im at someones house and they get all scared I freak.

Like this last Summer.We had several Tornados where I live and I was at someones house and they made me a grown Woman get in the hallway.Ive never seen this person act this way before.It was like we're going to be hit and all die.

I dont like walking or driving in Snow or Ice so I refuse at all costs.Im afraid of heighths,snakes.I dont like being in a boat out on water.I was in a wreck once(me alone)and for the longest time after,I was comfortable with my own driving but to ride with someone else I flipped.

These are just a few things Im Phobic of.I refuse doing or being apart of.
Dear GertieMae,
I don't mind thunder storms except that I might get a surge and burn up my computer. I am not a lover of Tornados though. I have been in one only and I came from a state that does not have them so that was quite an episode for me. I have always been afraid of the ocean. Airplanes, I usaually sleep as soon as we take off and don't wake until the plane lands. Once when I was in the military, I fell asleep and was seated in the very last seats in the tail. I was flying from Dallas to Oklahoma and when I woke they anounced that we had arived in Kansas City. I told the Serwart, I'm supposed to be going to Oklahoma and she said, "We just came from there". I thought, "Oh crap, they are going to kill me". She told me to just stay in the plane it was returning to Oklahoma on the next flight. I did this on a bus once also, and had to buy a ticket back on another bus back where we had just left from. When I was in the military and they were flying me overseas, I woke and one of the engines was on fire. I just went back to sleep because being on the way to somewhere you don't want to go seemed to make me not care. When I left to come back home, I was awake the whole time worrying and thinking, "Please don't be anything wrong with this plane". I loved flying in helicopters and I used to love siting with the door open with my feet hanging out. When they would bank turns and you were hanging on looking straight down, it was a rush. I am sure I would have a painc attack for sure doing that now. I don't think a lot of things I am afraid of are actually phobias. I remember the things I did when I was young and think, "I can't believe I thought that was a thrill". Good night GertieMae.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Closed Thread