It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 08:31 AM   #1

covergal HB User
People with social phobia disorder usually experience significant distress in the

situations:

Being introduced to other people

Being teased or criticized

Being the center of attention

Social situations where the person exhibits excessive self-consciousness

Being watched or observed while doing something

Having to say something in a formal, public situation

Meeting people in authority ("important people/authority figures")

Feeling insecure and out of place in social situations ("I donít know what to say.")

Embarrassing easily (e.g., blushing)

Meeting other peoplesí eyes

Swallowing, writing, talking, making phone calls if in public

I can't tell you enough how much I relate to each and every situation. It's sad.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:37 AM   #2

covergal HB User
Re: People with social phobia disorder usually experience significant distress in the

Social anxiety is the fear of social situations and the interaction with other people that can automatically bring on feelings of self-consciousness, judgment, evaluation, and criticism. Put another way, social anxiety is the fear and anxiety of being judged and evaluated negatively by other people, leading to feelings of inadequacy, embarrassment, humiliation, and depression. If a person usually becomes anxious in social situations, but seems fine when they are alone, then "social anxiety" may be the problem.

Social anxiety disorder (social phobia) is a much more common problem than past estimates have led us to believe. Millions of people all over the world suffer from this devastating and traumatic problem every day of their lives, either from a specific social phobia or from a more generalized social phobia. In the United States, epidemiological studies have recently pegged social anxiety disorder as the third largest psychological disorder in the country.

People with social anxiety disorder usually experience significant emotional distress in the following situations:

Being introduced to other people

Being teased or criticized

Being the center of attention

Being watched while doing something

Meeting people in authority ("important people")

Most social encounters, particularly with strangers

Making "small talk" at parties

Going around the room in a circle and having to say something

This list is certainly not a complete list of symptoms -- other feelings may be associated with social anxiety as well.

The physiological manifestations that accompany social anxiety may include intense fear, racing heart, turning red or blushing, dry throat and mouth, trembling, swallowing with difficulty, and muscle twitches. Constant, intense anxiety that does not go away is the most common feature.

Last edited by covergal; 02-24-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread