It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
Panic/anxiety induced Agoraphobia

Agoraphobia:Anxiety about being in places or situations from which escape might be difficult (or embarrassing) or in which help may not be available in the event of having an unexpected or situationally predisposed Panic Attack or panic-like symptoms. Agoraphobic fears typically involve characteristic clusters of situations that include being outside the home alone; being in a crowd or standing in a line; being on a bridge; and traveling in a bus, train, or automobile.

Has anyone elses panic/anxiety brought on agoraphobia?
I have barely left my house in 5 months and although I am reluctant to admit it, I think I have agoraphobia. The reason I am so reluctant is because I already feel crappy before even stepping outside. I am ok inside and out in my yard but I have a hard time going anywhere else. I did have a successful trip to Walmart(first time to a store in 3 months) the other day-I mustered up enough courage. Unfortunately I had a bit of a panic at the grocery store yesterday which set me back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Re: Panic/anxiety induced Agoraphobia

There was a period of time...when I was having panic attacks....that I wouldn't leave my house.
My Husband had to do the grocery shopping, take the kids to the Doctors...you name it he had to do it, because I was scared to leave the house.
I couldn't even go to Church because I was scared I wouldn't be able to take it and that I'd have to get up and go outside for a little while...I was sure if I had to do this that the Priest would stop Mass just to ask me where I was going...I know how dumb that sounds...but I was sure that he'd do it...even though part of me knew he never would.
The only place I ever saw a movie was if I waited until it came out on video because I couldn't go into a movie theater.
Places like Wal-Mart were the worst for me...I think it had something to do with the bright lighting...home improvement stores were really bad too...I couldn't stand the smell of all that wood for some reason.

Then one day I just told myself that I couldn't live my life just sitting in my house, I wanted to do things with my Husband and kids and I wasn't going to let anything stop me.
It was almost like "mind over matter" for me.
I took Xanax when I was still having panic attacks and I knew they'd stop an attack in it's tracks IF I had one while I was out.
I only ever took 1/4MG twice a day...I never took more, but I told myself that those pills were in my purse and if I had an attack and I couldn't take it that it wasn't going to kill me to take another 1/4MG.
But the funny thing is...I never had to...like I said it was "Mind over Matter"

Good for you that you were able to go to Wal-Mart...that's a big step...I know because I've been there.
Don't beat yourself up over what happened in the Grocery Store, everyone has set backs...don't even call it a set back...just think of it as a little bump in the road.

There was a time in my life that I thought I'd never leave my house again and I never thought I'd stop having panic attacks...but I did...I haven't had one in a very long time....I don't take medication anymore either.

Like I said, don't beat yourself up over the little bumps in the road... instead pat yourself on the back for the little accomplishments you make.

You honestly can feel better, I know that because I do and you can too.
Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

Thanks so much for your reassurance. When I went to Walmart I had my Ativan in my purse(just in case) I didn't have to take one though. I didn't have them when I went to the grocery store so it may have been in the back of my mind. I hate being stuck at home in fear. This all began last November and I missed my sons Christmas concert and many other events being stuck at home in fear. I keep telling myself to take baby steps, the more I reassure myself I can get through this, the quicker I will get through it. I appreciate hearing from others who have been there. Thanks

Old 04-27-2004, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

You're welcome Abby.
Taking baby steps is the right way to go.
IMO every step...no matter how small..is a step in the right direction.

Closed Thread