It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2004, 12:48 PM   #1

Pugbear HB User
Spider phobia is controlling my life...

Hi everyone.

I saw someone else had posted a message about phobias and so i thought i would ask about mine.

i know this is an incredibly common phobia, but i really do think mine is more serious.

I am absolutely petrified of spiders. My heart beats incredibly fast, i get very hot and sweaty and take short breaths. I feel in a total state of panic.

I feel this has been worsened by some events. When i was in school i had a very large spider crawling on my neck and it ran down my chest. Thats was very scary. The i was driving one day, i pulled down the sun shield and a very large spider dropped down right in front of my face, i crashed into the wall and sold the car the next day. i was too scared to get in it again. There has also been one in my bed...and many many more that have scared me.

Im just getting to the point where i have had enough. Im only 21 and its controlling my life. I daren't go into the bathroom because i saw a spider in there that wasn't dealt with...i dread the next time i have to pee...and just silly things like this all the time.

I am going to America in the summer to teach on a summer camp, and i am petrified i will come across some big spiders but i know i cant let this stop me.

i know this sounds trivial to some people, and i know myself that its stupid, they cant hurt me. But i just cant describe how scared of them i am .

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Re: Spider phobia is controlling my life...

There are therapists who work with people with phobias and they help them get over it. In the case of spiders, what they do is over a period of time, slowly get you to become comfortable with a spider nearby, and eventually get you to even hold it. Yeah I know, sounds scary....I have the spider thing too, always have. And I've had the spider in the car...fortunately my husband was driving but did almost go off the road because of me. Anyway, there are people who help with this sort of thing and know how to treat it....and I've also heard that hypnosis can work, too.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Re: Spider phobia is controlling my life...

I have this exact same phobia...it's so bad I have a hard time sleeping. Sometimes I can't close my eyes!!!!! What I'm the most scared of us is one being in the shower (have had that happen to me a few times and I almost passed out) and of course them being in the bed. It sucks so bad because I live in the woods and they are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you the best of luck conquering this fear!!!

Last edited by littleone314; 05-03-2004 at 11:37 PM.

Closed Thread