HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Phobias (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/phobias/)
-   -   denture phobia's (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/phobias/175002-denture-phobias.html)

peyton03 05-18-2004 07:45 AM

denture phobia's

i just read beatifulonce's thread and am in the same situation. i could handle the pain anyday though, its the embarrasement that im in total fear of . i keep making excuses and finding reasons to put off making that first appt. call, week after week. the thought of getting in that chair and opening my mouth terrifies me, and it seems all the dental assistants are young and gorgeous and have perfect teeth, i imagine them gasping in horror when they get a look at mine. could some of the people who have been in that situation give us chickens some thoughts on how they got through that first visit and exactly what happened? maybe jennifer walker ,who works in a dentists office could give us some advice and support?

gad_1961 05-18-2004 08:52 AM

re: denture phobia's

Hi Peyton03

After 20 years of dental phobia I finally managed to see a dentist in January of this year and if I had known how easy it would be for me with the help of the right dentist then I would have saved myself from many years of pain, humiliation and misery.

I got to the point where my fear of not going to the dentist was nearly as bad as going so I decided to see a dentist who advertised in treating phobic patients. My first appointment was just for a chat but I felt so comfortable with him that I allowed him to look in my mouth despite the acute embarrassment I felt at the time. Embarrassment was definitely a major factor in me not going to the dentist for a very long time because I was so ashamed of the way my teeth had deteriorated. However, my dentist reassured me that my phobia was not my fault and that the people really responsible for it were those connected to my dental management as a child. Once my dentist knew the extent of my problem I stopped feeling embarrassed because he reassured me that he could have me smiling again in no time. True to his word, I now have gorgeous looking upper teeth and most of the work done on the bottom Ė 3 more extractions and a partial denture fitted will make my treatment complete for now.

I canít tell you the difference it has made to my life and I hope you find the courage to make an appointment soon. Donít let your embarrassment ruin your life because most dentists will be completely understanding and will just want to help you. Good luck.

gossgal 05-18-2004 06:20 PM

I was in your shoes in mid febuary! i was soo scared of being laughed at. my teeth ALL when i say this were rotted to gum line from years of eating disorders/neglect.I finally just made the apoointment and when i got there i told them straight out that i was 25 and knew how bad i looked so i didnt need to hear that but rather what they could do to help me.Also ask and make sure they feel comfortable treating dental phobia people. I had all 31 teeth pulled april 1 and am waiting for dentures on june 8.Once the appointment is made you will be scared but also relieved knowing that help is on the way! i also suffer from panic disorder/ agoriphobia so if i can get myself thru this i have faith you will also prevail. keep posting on here because i owe all my leaps to the helps i have had on here.Just go meet some dentists and see who you feel comfortable with.Please save what you can while u can!I'll keep you all in mind and prayers. Update us please....hugs gossgal

ljason 05-18-2004 06:56 PM

Peyton,
I have the same phobia... But today I finally found a dentist in my home town that does extractions all at once and put the immediates in and I made the appt.. I was sweating up a storm the whole time I was talking to the lady on the phone.. I have two fears going in for the appt on Mon.. One, him looking in my mouth and what he is going to say to me and the Two I am so scared he is going to say he can't do it and I am going to have to see an oral surgeon.. Don't get me wrong I would love to be knocked out but I am trying to save my family as much money as I can... My seven year old will be referred to the orthodontist? in July... I want to spend as much as I can on my kids having the smile I always wanted...So I will keep you updated w/ my situation if I don't get kicked out again..I don't know what I keep doing wrong...

peyton03 05-19-2004 06:36 AM

thanks so much for all your thoughts , it means alot to know im not alone in this and i know that the 'fear' is worse than what im afraid of ! can anyone tell me if the term 'gentle dentistry' means they cater to chickens like me? lol

savanannastar 05-19-2004 04:59 PM

Gossgal How did you sit there to have 31 teeth pulled ecspecially with the panic disorder,I think that scares me the most.

sim884 05-20-2004 06:22 AM

Hi Peyton, I too was in the same boat back in Jan. I even cried a little in the dentist chair on the first visit. He asked if he had hurt me. I told him no I am just so ashamed of my teeth. he told me dont be ashamed you have taken the first step now together we can get you that beautiful smile you want. I am now at 8 wks with my immediate denture and sooooo happy. The teeth feel like they are my own and they belong in my mouth. I am pretty sure that gentle dentistry is where they will do whatever it takes to make you at ease. Including sedation if need be. I think I am right if not someone please correct me dont want to give false answers. The intial fears are so hard to overcome but once you have gone that extra step and have your immediate dentures a couple of weeks you look back and say WOW it was well worth the worry, pain, and everything to have a smile you dont have to hide. Follow thru with your plans you will be pleased in the end. Take care and keep us posted. Sincerely Dena

Jennifer8216 05-21-2004 06:00 PM

How sweet! :D

I truly want you to know that we are there to help you and everybody! I honestly LOVE having people like yourself come in because I can envision what you will look like when all your work is done! I cannot wait to get in there and clean a persons teeth that desperately need it! Sounds weird, but it is great to get all of that off a persons teeth so they can see just how nice it looks (and feels) to have a clean mouth.
Please remember, that many times, people tend to disassociate their mouths from their bodies. Oral infections affect the entire body and all of the latest research is linking periodontal disease to heart conditions as well as premature births etc.
Now, as far as it looking 'ugly' like I said, I think about how great you'll look when done. I don't see it any differently.
I always tell those patients that come in wringing their hands, maybe tearing up, clearly scared to death that THEY are in control! I tell them what I am going to do before I do it. I describe what it is, tell them what it will feel like, will it be uncomfortable or not. Basically no surprises. I ask repeatedly if they are doing ok and do they want me to stop? Over and over. And many, I'd say a vast majority, tell me to keep going. And they are honestly happy that they were able to get through it alive! ;)
Tell your doc or hygienist that you are very nervous. Its OK because most people are!
I think I've said this here before, but I was one of those kids that cried when I had to go to the dentist. I would worry for weeks when that recall card came in the mail knowing my time was coming! I'd cry when I got the shot, I cried when I had to have teeth pulled for braces. I had a filling every tme I went I swear.
Now, look at what I chose to do! I've been there and I know how scary it is for people.
The only way to get over your fear is to just go do it! Just do it, make that appointment, show up and do it! :D

blythe 05-21-2004 10:15 PM

I used feel embarrassed about mine teeth too, but then I started thinking how boring the dentist profession would be if everyone had perfect teeth and all they did was cleanings. I'm sure most dentists/hygenists find people with teeth like ours a welcome challenge to the boring day to day checkups of perfect teeth! :) Right????!

BeautifulOnce 05-21-2004 11:05 PM

peyton~ i cried when i got there, i will admit it. my boyfriend had to stay right with me to make sure i wasnt going to take off! i told the dentist, with my head down and my hand in front of my mouth that just him standing there was making me feel sick. he took his mask off and asked me what about him was scaring me. i told him that i felt there would be judgement from him because it had happened previously. honesty was the best policy. he talked me through the exam and as i lay in that chair and shook he'd stop and tell me to relax, he was just looking and to rest assured, he understood that the pain and humiliation coming from my teeth was more then i deserved without him heaping guilt on me. he knew it was a legitimate fear and he handled it because i needed him to. i go back monday for the consult about the oral surgeon and am hoping to rid myself of these bad ol teeth within 2 weeks.
GOOD LUCK PEYTON! I am TOTALLY rooting for you!