It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 05:47 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
phobia

was looking for a phobia forum but could not find one. wondering if there is anyone like me....super scared of balloons? how do u cope wif it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 10:01 AM   #2

Tanki HB User
Re: phobia

Well you kind of have to ask yourself, what is the fear? Are you afraid of having it life off the ground and carry you away? Or is it the hot air balloons that scare you because of it's hieght, and somewhat lack of control.

Did something happen as a kid to cause this fear? Usually it is something, so think way back and figure that out. The only way to get rid of a fear is to face it head on. That's the only way to be rid of it really. You can avoid it but that will only make it worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

i am scared of it bursting

Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #4

Tanki HB User

What do you think will happen to you if it breaks?

Remeber that it's just, rubber? no, can't remember what balloons are made up of. It cannot hurt you, it is just air. Nothing more. *hugs*

Do you recall anything when you were younger to start of up this fear?

Old 06-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

try to gradually desensitise yourself, play with baloons and think about the worst that can happen if it does burst

if its a serious problem, causing panic attacks, etc you could be gradually desensitised by a type of psychologist called a behaviourally trained or inclined one

Old 06-09-2004, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

i am afraid of sounds. even sounds caused by the bursting of paperbags, gun sounds etc. i really cannot be near balloons.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:06 AM   #7

Tanki HB User

Ok , try to break it down then.

Why is that something you are scared of? Witnessed something? Heard something that resulted in something that affected you? Been in a car accident, anything like that? Anything that sounded like what you said that scared you, even has a young kid? Maybe even a baby?

Old 06-24-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
Inactive

opielonghorn HB User

i totally know where you're coming from, i have the same exact phobia and have had it as long as i can remember. i am now in cognitive behavioral therapy and it is working. i hate loud noises like cars backfiring, fireworks, jackhammering, but none of them generalized into a phobia except for the balloons. you CAN change it, i promise. you just have to get the right help and not be even the slightest bit ashamed, because it's not your fault. ask me anything you want about my experiences and the therapy.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:30 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

how scared were u of balloons?

Old 06-25-2004, 08:10 AM   #10
Inactive

opielonghorn HB User

very very very scared! terrified. when i was a child i would run, scream, cry, whatever it took to get away from them, even if they weren't blown up. as an adult i was able to be around balloons, but i was would feel my heart start beating and sweat on my palms and back. it was somehow worse if the people around me knew about the phobia- then i had added anxiety that they would taunt me somehow and put one near me, or pop it, or whatever. what prompted me to get help was that i was starting to feel it getting worse than it had been. right now, the things you can't imagine yourself doing are completely possible. i thought i would never in a million years be able to blow one up, hold it, and pop it, but i've been doing just that. before, i probably couldn't have read or written that sentence without starting to panic.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:00 PM   #11
(female)

genie04 HB User

I've always been scared of balloons bursting although I would never say I have a REAL phobia about it. I think there was an occassion that while blowing one up it burst in my face which was horrible.

opielonghorn - there is always someone who finds it hilarious to taunt people whether it is with balloons, spiders or anything else they dont like! I'm sure that a phobia of this nature must be a fairly simple one to treat if you seek professional help. Its just lucky its not THAT often we're in a situation where there are balloons around!

Old 06-25-2004, 11:01 PM   #12

wizzii HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxy
was looking for a phobia forum but could not find one. wondering if there is anyone like me....super scared of balloons? how do u cope wif it?

omg....same here...I can play with it and stuff but each time it touches me I get freeked out....thinkin it will pop in my face and hurt me some how...I definitely can't blow a balloon for sure....way too scared...

Old 06-26-2004, 08:56 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

think if i go to a professional, he will burst one infront of me n i dun want tt to happen....

Old 06-28-2004, 08:09 AM   #14
Inactive

opielonghorn HB User

the thing is, a therapist would never do anything that you're uncomfortable with, and if he ever did, you can just leave. but at least you would have tried. you have complete control of how your therapy goes. it's just getting there that first time that's the hard part.

i went for weeks before anyone popped anything!! and when she did, she let me leave the room first.

Closed Thread