It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
Perimenopause with Anxiety, Agraphobia and Panic Attacks!

Ok ladies, anyone want to join in, join in. Some of us have insurance, others don't. Anxiety with perimenopause can leave us feeling really alone and panicky. So we are going to begin our session here by helping each other on this board get through every pain and agony from perimenopause to anxiety all the way to not wanting to leave your home to panic attacks!

Today, I went out to the store, had to shop for my daughters camp belongings. I was in the store and doing well. First time in almost 4 months that I went to the store and actually spent a good hour or more in there. At times I felt nervous, but just took deep breathes from the diaphram, and for the ones who don't know how to do this, look up anxiety on a search engine and learn to breath from the diaphram. Also know that the body has its own rythm of breathing, so no matter how hyperventilate or tight from feeling as though you can't breathe, you can and your body will always kick in and take over, so don't try to control it. If you have to breathe shallow, breath shallow, eventually your mind will throw your breathing into normal due to the fact it wants to wash out all the carbon dioxide from the body. So breathe and don't concentrate on it. Let your belly expand on breathing in and shrink down when breathing out. Now, I went to get something to eat with a friend and noticed I felt sleepy and my head felt spacey. I began to feel a little panicky and said to myself, okay, if you're going to have a panic attack then I will sit back and watch you. Face, Accept, Desensitize (do not get into your body and what it is doing) and then let time pass. If you have Xanax, keep it with you at all times, just incase you feel a bit jittery after it's all over with. Well, didn't have a panic attack. Made it through.

On the spacey, dizzy feeling or equiliberium, if you been checked out by a doctor and everything is normal, then walk pass this feeling. Just keep walking as if it doesn't bother you. Don't let your body fool you by letting it think it's gotten the best of you, this will cause adrenaline fear adrenaline response and make everything worse or give you a panic attack.

Let's work together, from IBS to acid reflex to pains and anxiety. We can do this, we can share and tell each other what helped us through that moment. Just remember, every perimenopause symptom that is bothering you is being aggravated more by anxiety. Let's work together. Now, if you post and noone has an answer for you immediately, don't panic, we will be on here to help each other soon enough. Just be patient and let time pass.

God Bless,

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User
Re: Perimenopause with Anxiety, Agraphobia and Panic Attacks!

You are right we need to stick together and help each other. I think this is the hardest time I have been through. Had a panic attack at 1:30am last night. Woke up and just out of the blue. I hate waking up feeling nervous in the mornings. Anyone else do that? Reading these boards has really helped me because you realize you are not crazy. I started HRT yesterday. Hope it helps plus been taking Zoloft for 2 1/2 weeks.
God Bless,
Jacqueline

Old 06-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqbu
You are right we need to stick together and help each other. I think this is the hardest time I have been through. Had a panic attack at 1:30am last night. Woke up and just out of the blue. I hate waking up feeling nervous in the mornings. Anyone else do that? Reading these boards has really helped me because you realize you are not crazy. I started HRT yesterday. Hope it helps plus been taking Zoloft for 2 1/2 weeks.
God Bless,
Jacqueline

It take the Zoloft 4-6 weeks to work. It took Prozac sometime to work for me. You might want to pick up the book Hope and Help For Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes. Also her second book, Peace From Nervous Suffering, by Dr. Claire Weekes. These books really help. Yes, you have perimenopause but this will not be enough for you. You need to accept that you have anxiety with it and once you face, accept, not concentrate on the sensitations your body is fooling you with from adrenaline then let time pass. Taking hormone supplementation may not be enough. Also, you might want to read the book called "The Pause". No, you're not crazy and you cannot go crazy with anxiety. IT seems so at times when the mind raises. But you are not going crazy. It's because you are a sensitive person and intelligent and creative that you have experienced anxiety with perimenopause. I would also suggest that you find a therapist to talk to. You will find this to be the most wonderful experience to be able to release. Even if it is just about perimenopause. My therapist and I talk all the time about perimenopause between other subjects. Give the Zoloft more time to work and then also begin to work on accepting your anxiety. Read up on it, as much as you can and accept. This is the beginning of healing from it. Let me know your stages and how you are feeling and we go from there. It's not been easy for me either and these boards are great. KC is going to jump in this too, she liked the idea that we help each other and the more who participate, the better. But what I would like to do, is not just vent about this, but for us to get out and work with ourselves both outside and inside without concentrating heavily on our ailments with peri but to search and share what helped us through that moment. If we have a panic attack, then we have one and share the experience. Then one of us who've been through it can give suggestions on how to accept the next one until there aren't anymore panic attacks with perimenopause and our hormones can relax a bit. I have had many awakening panic attacks. They are very scarey. I have awakened almost for 3 months of so with rage early in the morning or an adrenaline surge where I would be so nervous I just had to get up and pace. I'm not saying that you will never have a panic/anxiety attack like when it is close to your period or hormone changes, etc. Some can't be avoided, but you will learn that you are not crazy and how to deal with them if they were to sneak up on you suddenly. Panic attacks do that. I'm sure I'm not finished with them, but you must ride it through and not run from it or you create secondary fear. Then it becomes adrenaline fear adrenaline. You aren't going to hurt yourself, the adrenaline is only going to pump up so high before another safety kicks in and begin to counterattack it. Let's begin.

God Bless,

Andrea

Old 06-19-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I understand that we can have panic attacks in peri, but what about generalized anxiety? Some of us have had anxiety at different times in our life, but it seems with menopause my anxiety is now 24/7. Is there anything to relieve this or at least put a dent into it. I hope so.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twanger
I understand that we can have panic attacks in peri, but what about generalized anxiety? Some of us have had anxiety at different times in our life, but it seems with menopause my anxiety is now 24/7. Is there anything to relieve this or at least put a dent into it. I hope so.
Hi Twanger, yeap that's me. I'm pretty much generalized now with peri. You need to do the same as you would do for panic attacks. Sometimes you will need totake meds while going through desensitization, but you need to handle it the same as panic attacks and stress.

Andrea

Old 06-19-2004, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Twanger, if you give some examples of your personal general anxiety symptoms, perhaps some of us can work with you and also you can in turn share what helped you through it. Accepting this as a part of perimenopause does help. You might have had it before, but it will return with the meno.

Andrea

Old 06-19-2004, 10:13 AM   #7

DeAnnaV HB User

what about when you start the breathing problems as you stated and then you go numb....your hands curl up and toes criss cross...no feeling anywhere ...slowly you find you can't move or talk and can actually feel you lungs drawing up under your rib cage like when a baby kicks during pregnancy...eyelids start flickering.....chest pains and heart flopping around....and then passed out in a covered sweat from having it scare the heck out ya...and feeling yourself sinking away....antivan, zanax doesn't work...been complaining about fogetfulness for over a year and being a waken with severe leg cramps...i keep a blow dryer handy so i can quickly apply heat to relax the muscle............is it possible this is a central nervous system problem? nothing brings it on or not.....i have been so angry over something and nothing happens....i can be extremely happy and nothing happens....but it has happened just from eating a salad....a meal...avoiding caffeine and sugars....ect.....physical exhertion brings it on more times then not...but not one thing is a sure red flag to say here we go...because the rapid heartbeat stays...and is only a trigger of what...? away....should not at least nerve pills improve the frequentecy or at least give me one hour a day of my chest not being tight and beating fast...this never goes away...why i don't know...had blood work and ekg....doc said anxiety....i am not comfortable off of two test to feel good about that...help!!!

Old 06-19-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAnnaV
what about when you start the breathing problems as you stated and then you go numb....your hands curl up and toes criss cross...no feeling anywhere ...slowly you find you can't move or talk and can actually feel you lungs drawing up under your rib cage like when a baby kicks during pregnancy...eyelids start flickering.....chest pains and heart flopping around....and then passed out in a covered sweat from having it scare the heck out ya...and feeling yourself sinking away....antivan, zanax doesn't work...been complaining about fogetfulness for over a year and being a waken with severe leg cramps...i keep a blow dryer handy so i can quickly apply heat to relax the muscle............is it possible this is a central nervous system problem? nothing brings it on or not.....i have been so angry over something and nothing happens....i can be extremely happy and nothing happens....but it has happened just from eating a salad....a meal...avoiding caffeine and sugars....ect.....physical exhertion brings it on more times then not...but not one thing is a sure red flag to say here we go...because the rapid heartbeat stays...and is only a trigger of what...? away....should not at least nerve pills improve the frequentecy or at least give me one hour a day of my chest not being tight and beating fast...this never goes away...why i don't know...had blood work and ekg....doc said anxiety....i am not comfortable off of two test to feel good about that...help!!!
Have you checked your thyroid? If this is normal and you have gone to a neurologist to see if this was total nerve problem and that is still normal, then yes, this can be anxiety. Are you in perimenopause or menopause? Are you seeing a therapist or a Psych?

Andrea

Old 06-19-2004, 12:22 PM   #9

DeAnnaV HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainfante
Have you checked your thyroid? If this is normal and you have gone to a neurologist to see if this was total nerve problem and that is still normal, then yes, this can be anxiety. Are you in perimenopause or menopause? Are you seeing a therapist or a Psych?

Andrea

my thyroid was checked in the bloodwork done that day...it is borderline on th high side but not crossed the out of range reading....which there really is no true range for everyone from what i understand...i requested to see a neuro but my doc sent me to a shrink..to look into anxiety....no meds are helping and i not sure why i am even there....but would like to be sent to a card and neuro at the same time while i am doing this because it isn't working or the meds....ativan...antarax....not helping...i am 34 healthy and have had three children. i am tall and skinny...no weight problem factors.....so i am feeling over looked guess you would say.....i have complain for well over a year or so about memory problems...forget what i am doing as i am doing it kind of thing...forgetting a stove is on..or what i was doing....and severe leg cramps..mostly in my right leg....just as my right arm went numb the other day as one of these spells starting coming on....but did not get as severe....i just don't know if a ekg and bloodwork is enough to answer that this is anxiety....and just let it go at that given i effected everyday by this....gee i am soo confused and troubled by how my health symtoms over the past year or so keep getting worse....LOL DeAnna

Old 06-19-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAnnaV
my thyroid was checked in the bloodwork done that day...it is borderline on th high side but not crossed the out of range reading....which there really is no true range for everyone from what i understand...i requested to see a neuro but my doc sent me to a shrink..to look into anxiety....no meds are helping and i not sure why i am even there....but would like to be sent to a card and neuro at the same time while i am doing this because it isn't working or the meds....ativan...antarax....not helping...i am 34 healthy and have had three children. i am tall and skinny...no weight problem factors.....so i am feeling over looked guess you would say.....i have complain for well over a year or so about memory problems...forget what i am doing as i am doing it kind of thing...forgetting a stove is on..or what i was doing....and severe leg cramps..mostly in my right leg....just as my right arm went numb the other day as one of these spells starting coming on....but did not get as severe....i just don't know if a ekg and bloodwork is enough to answer that this is anxiety....and just let it go at that given i effected everyday by this....gee i am soo confused and troubled by how my health symtoms over the past year or so keep getting worse....LOL DeAnna
Why don't you go directly to a neurologist and forget about a referral. Do you have HMO or PPO? If you have a PPO, you do not need a referral. Please go, it will at least give you some comfort. Same for a Cardiologist.

Andrea

Old 06-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

I spent the morning in the ER. My heart raced all night long. I finally broke down and went. Did a EKG abd blood work and gave me shot of ativan. I have to go see the cardiologist monday. They said when your heart races that fast you need to come in. I am so tired of all this that I cannot express. I pray for all of you.
God Bless,
Jacqueline

Old 06-19-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
Quote:
I spent the morning in the ER. My heart raced all night long. I finally broke down and went. Did a EKG abd blood work and gave me shot of ativan. I have to go see the cardiologist monday. They said when your heart races that fast you need to come in. I am so tired of all this that I cannot express. I pray for all of you.
God Bless,
Jacqueline
So sorry you had to go into ER. Geez, I hope you're better. What did they say? How fast was your heart racing? I had heart palps that lasted for a few seconds or minutes and I was worried - but here you say yours lasted all night long! I'm sure that was really scary!! The same thing happened to Oprah - she thought she was having a heart attack and went to all these drs. only to find it was menopause related....hope that is just the case for you. Please let us know what your cardio says on Monday.

molly

Old 06-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

My heart rate was 160. My blood pressure was 156/100. I had started wearing the hormone patch Thursday night. I wondered if I had a reaction to it. I just feel so trapped in a horrible nightmare. I dread going to bed at night. It is so frusterating trying to find answers.
Jacqueline

Old 06-19-2004, 06:51 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
My heart rate was 160. My blood pressure was 156/100. I had started wearing the hormone patch Thursday night. I wondered if I had a reaction to it. I just feel so trapped in a horrible nightmare. I dread going to bed at night. It is so frusterating trying to find answers.
Jacqueline

Sounds like you had a reaction to the hormones. Estrogen will do this. Also, could have been your thyroid. I would check this out, didn't you say you were on sinthroid? Also Jac, if this doesn't stop, please ask your doctor for a beta blocker if you do not have asthma. When I was going throught that horrible time with a high t4 thyroid, my heart would race like that too and they finally gave me a beta blocker (Inderol) and this will stop it. Also it will help you with anxiety. Just make sure you take a small dose, since it will drop your heart rate and blood pressure. I would have a talk with your gyne, cause the hormones you are taking might be too high for your body. Please stay in contact, I'm worried about you.

Andrea

Old 06-19-2004, 06:52 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jac, remember that your heart can race, beat up to 200 and you will still not harm yourself if you are healthy. This can happen more than a week or so and you can still be fine, just to help you calm down, okay? But I know how frustrating it is to feel this kind of heart beat.

ANdrea

Closed Thread