It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Inactive

PapaRoux HB User
Agoraphobia With Panic Disorder

I'm 48 now and have had panic attacks since my mid-teens.
At this age I am agoraphobic, trying to avoid situations that would give me a panic attack. So--officially my diagnosis is :

Agoraphobia with Panic Disorder

Anyone else with diagnosed Agoraphobia???

PapaRoux

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 07:55 AM   #2

Angievanhorn HB User
Re: Agoraphobia With Panic Disorder

Hi there,

I am not agoraphobic but I wanted to tell you about a program I rent through a couple years ago that has virtually taken my life long anxiety disorder away. It is called Attacking Anxiety and Depression. The program is by Lucinda Bassett and you can find it online at www.anxietysolution.com. This is a WONDERFUL program. It was a little pricy but WELL WORTH IT!! Check it out you won't regret it.

Been there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #3

Ammy HB User

I have Panic and Anxiety Disorder with Agoraphobia, and I also have Dysthymic Disorder (depression). Mine got so bad that I was housebound twice, for over a year each time.

As for the Attacking Anxiety program... I tried that back in 1994. It didn't do a thing for me at all. But, what works for one won't necessarily work for another. If you think it's worth a shot and may help, then go for it!

Old 07-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I was agoraphobi for a few years to back in my 20's and I tried Linda Bassett program plus every other program out there and it didn't work. cognitive therapy gave me tools to work with but it came back and here I am at 55 going through it all over again after 10yrs remission. Ya got to try all that is out there, one will work for you and if not it can give you tools to work with to keep it minimal.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I was agoraphobi for a few years to back in my 20's and I tried Linda Bassett program plus every other program out there and it didn't work. cognitive therapy gave me tools to work with but it came back and here I am at 55 going through it all over again after 10yrs remission. Ya got to try all that is out there, one will work for you and if not it can give you tools to work with to keep it minimal.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #6

atmont1977 HB User

i have panic disorder with agoraphobia and the only thing that gets me out of the house is a steady dose of valium or some other benzo. its sad.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:30 PM   #7
Inactive

Binky74 HB User

I had problems with pretty bad agoraphobia in the past. I couldn't even leave the house without risking a serious panic attack, and sometimes I'd have a panic attack even inside the house (e.g., seeing certain outdoor scenes on TV would get me really anxious). I felt dizzy and disoriented all the time, as though I were on a ship at sea being tossed about by huge waves, or as if I were on a roller coaster ride that wouldn't end. This was when I was about 21 years old.

What worked very well for me was a fairly high dose of Zoloft (other SSRIs like Prozac, Paxil, etc., also work well for this) and an "emergency prescription" of Xanax to rely on while waiting for the SSRI to start working, or (later on) if I had a particularly bad day in spite of the SSRI. After a month or so on the Zoloft I didn't even need the Xanax, but I kept it around just in case.

There are a lot of good drugs out there -- don't be afraid of them. Find one that works and stick with it. Use benzos like Xanax or Valium if you need to, but you might not need benzos at all, or only once in a blue moon, once you've been on the right drug for a while. (Again, the SSRIs are often recommended for this sort of thing.) While you may still have the occasional twinge of fear while being in wide open spaces -- I still avoid them when I can -- the treatment of "constant SSRI, plus benzo when needed" has worked quite well for me and avoids benzo addiction. You might want to check with your shrink about it.

Good luck to all...

Closed Thread