It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 08:02 PM   #1

Duckei HB User
Question Do you think I have a phobia?

I'm not sure of this belongs here, but I looked at all of the other boards and I didn't find any other place to put this. I'm trying to figure out if I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting) or not. I know it sounds like a stupid question. There is no doubt I don't like vomiting and that I fear vomiting but usually people with this phobia are afraid of touching door knobs and going places (atleast thats what I read), take care of sick people, and are afraid of seeing vomit. I don't like to spend time with people who have the flu, but I will because i know i should take care of them and all. But when I feel like I'm going to throw up I get hot and sweaty and nervous and feel like I want to cry because I am really afraid to vomit, and basically i just Freak Out! so i haven't vomited in 5 years

another thing I want to know is if there is some way I can get over this fear. my parents would definatly think that treatment is a wait of time... but It's just as bad when you feel terrible and the only way is to throw up but you're scared to do it.

sorry i'm rambling on about vomiting (not a very fun subject), but I wanted to know if there was some way to get over this fear i wasnt afraid when I was little, but now that i'm a teenager i'm really afraid

Old 08-11-2004, 08:10 PM   #2

karigirl HB User
Re: Do you think I have a phobia?

hey there
well, think of it this way
noone likes to throw up. its gross, it smells. its just putrid. I tend to be like you and have more of a fear of it, than just a dislike.
youll never enjoy it...but you CAN realize that its human, just like pooping, or peeing, or breathing, or sneezing. its the bodys way of saying " get out of here" ...
when you feel nervous and sweaty and emotional, just tell yourself. ok..im having a panic attack. calm down. im not going to throw up, theres no reason for me to...take deep breaths, and replace that time with soemthing more important. you must be stronger than this phobia. it is possible to get over. trust me.
just remember, its human, part of life. its of no threat to you.

hope that rambling helped

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2004, 09:36 PM   #3

cupcakes HB User

Hi,
I want to let you know that you are not alone in feeling the way you do about vomitting. I absolutly hate it and almost start crying when I think I'm gonna do it. But I hate it even worse when other people do it.

I have obsessive compulsive disorder, and I know there are a lot of other OCD'ers out there who have the same types of fears. For me, it's gotten to the point that eating supper with my family is torture.

It is quiet enough in the room for me to hear them chewing and swallowing. It is sooo disgusting that I have to plug my ears to get it out of my head. But I can just see it in my head in a scene playing over and over again that someone will take a bite of food and suddenly start puking all over the place. It sounds weird but it is a huge source of anxiety to me.

I wish I knew of a way to get over the fear of vomitting for all of us, but I don't. I do think karigirl has a helpful and logical way of looking at it, though. Good luck and God Bless.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:05 AM   #4

karigirl HB User

thank you...
its good to look at things from all angles when you can...
because of this thread, i had a nightmare about being vomited on....strange eh

i think you may need psychotherapy...have you had anyone to talk to about this? there are many psychotherapists out there trained to deal with OCD.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:28 AM   #5

Duckei HB User

Thanks Karigirl, I guess that's a good way to look at it. I'll try to remember that if I ever get sick and feel like i need to throw up.

Sorry this thread made you dream of being vomitted on! I almost never dream...

Old 08-12-2004, 09:32 AM   #6

karigirl HB User

so. have you ever talked to a doctor about this?

i have nightmares pretty much every night so its not a big deal

Old 08-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #7

Duckei HB User

no, i haven't talked to a doctor about this...

i keep thinking that maybe if I get sick and throw up (not that I'm trying to), I might get over it. But I'm not trying to make myself sick anytime soon. I don't know, do you think I should talk to a doctor about it? Or wait until I can conquer my fear of it i'm not sure if it will go away one day, but i'm in no hurry to make it go away... it's confusing

Old 08-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #8

karigirl HB User

if it is interfeiring with your daily life, which it seems to be...then i think you should definately talk to soemone about this. i dont see it just 'going away" one day. Unfortunatly things like this; phobias, OCD, anxiety, etc remain there, but is a matter of how you deal with it. If you let it control you, or you control it.
if psychotherapy doesnt work, there is always medication, but that should be a last resort

Old 08-12-2004, 02:36 PM   #9

Duckei HB User

i have talked about it with my parents, but it comes across as nothing serious. they just tell me that I will feel a lot better afterwards and that it won't be that bad and stuff. i really don't know if I have a phobia or not since its been so long since I've vomitted, so I figured the only way to find out if I could get over it was to vomit.

its not really interfering with my daily life, but I thought I would post on the board and ask about it anyway. I mean, I don't walk around afraid to get sick or touch things, but sometimes when I see someone else get sick or something I realize I can't avoid it forever.

Old 08-12-2004, 03:18 PM   #10

karigirl HB User

my parents are the same..they try to understand but they sorta brush it off and just hope it will go away....
and im not too sure what making yourself vomit would actually do for you..

well. if all you are looking for in this thread is for soemone to tell you if you have a phobia or not, then id say yes. but what difference does it make whether you have a name for it or not.
the feelings are still the same, right?

Old 08-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #11

Duckei HB User
well,

I guess it was stupid for me to post this question, but I do appericiate all of your advice.

Closed Thread