It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 06:13 AM   #1

Jille HB User
OCD or just a phobia out of control??

Kind of embarrased to share my phobia, if it is just a phobia, or if I am just obsessing over it...... Haviing a hard time finding the difference between my fear of "bats" (yes, those that fly), or if it a case of OCD?

Long story short, I've always been freaked by bats, don't knwo why, just always have been. Neighbor had one in her house two years ago, I obsessed over it so much it drove me crazy, i.e., checking curtains, making sure one wasn't in my house etc.. Now, 2 years later, a friend of my husband's, his wife, woke up in middle of night with a bat in their bed, it had bitten her! Went to the hospital for shots, etc., the bat later tested positive for rabies, and on and on THey are fine thank goodness, but, now, I keep thinking "why do I have to know someone who was now bitten by a bat that had rabies!"

I have been checking my house religiiously for the past two weeks since it happened, and I don't think I will get it out of my head till the first frost and the little flying animals are somewhere hibernating!!

IS it just a phobia out of control, or am I obsessing? THe last time I obsessed when my neighbor had one flyiing aroudn her living room, I thought I was losing it!

Do I sound like your typical average nut case?

Old 09-17-2004, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
Re: OCD or just a phobia out of control??

A phobia is an unreasonable fear of something. If your neighbor was bitten by a rabid bat then maybe the bats are nesting in the facia or attic of her house. Bats will avoid you as they fly around eating insects. I lived in the country and they flew around at dusk, no one ever got smacked by one. So you have a phobia in my opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: OCD or just a phobia out of control??

It sounds like a phobia, which is an unreasonable fear of things, as the other person who responded said. However, phobias generally include avoiding certain situations or things etc, and I've never heard of a general phobia where one compulsively checks places for things. I think maybe what you have here is not full blown OCD, but your fear has an OCD like quality to it. I think probably if you do not have any other OCD symptoms, it would not be classified as OCD (I could be wrong). If it is just an isolated issue with the bats, it probably just is similar to the disorder.
For instance, I have occasional hallucinations and delusions that do not always appear to be linked with my mood (I'm bipolar I), which generally would indicate schizophrenia, but my doctor tells me it is NOT full blown schizophrenia, it is just some schizophrenia-like symptoms. My guess is that something similar is occurring here.
Kristina

Old 09-17-2004, 09:02 AM   #4

Jille HB User

I will worry and worry, and then later on, realize I am worrying about something that the chances of happening are slim, tell myself I'm, nuts and move on, but sometimes it comes back! Drives me nuts. I've been pulling the doors shut, like if my husband goes out and just lets the screen door close on it's own, my first thought it is "quick close it, a bat might get in".

I don't know what to think. Am I just goofy?

Old 09-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Jille,
I think you're suffering from a phobia, as well. I remember growing up as a kid and we'd get them in our house from time to time and they seemed quite frightening to me, as a child. However, now as an adult, I realize that all they simply wanted to do was get as far away and out of the house as they possibly could get!

There's an old saying, "We tend to fear most, that which we don't understand." For example, I used to really be spooked by snakes. Then, I moved into the country where I started to come across them all the time. I'd start researching them on the internet to see which ones were venomous and which one weren't and along the way, I began to learn things I never knew and came to appreciate them for what they are and the purpose they have in the world. Same thing with bats. I'll bet if you started reading about them, you'd find out things you never knew! Granted, I don't think they're the prettiest creature God created but they truly are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Closed Thread