It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #1

TWISTED II HB User
being around this phobia won't work

well, i know some phobias are treated by slowly increasing exposure to the item in question. well, i have a fear of death and dying, so i'm in need of another alternative. from that, branches me being a hypochondriac. scared of having a disease, which will make me die. so, if i feel if i get the root of the problem, the tree will follow. any ideas on ways of kicking this phobia? no meds will ever be taken, so lookin for other things that would work. thanx

Old 10-07-2004, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: being around this phobia won't work

I have no ideas but I hope that others do. We all have to die and it is scary. There are others who I have heard say that they are not frightened of dying because there is a life after. I don't know if I believe that concept but if I did maybe I wouldn't be so afraid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 11:29 AM   #3

TWISTED II HB User

if i knew there was life after death, i would not be scared at all. i'm scared because its unknown, and i can't control it. too bad the only way i'll ever know, is to die, then it won't do me any good, lol. ever see "Crossing Over with John Edward." ? he helps me believe, but i wish i could talk to him in person.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Yes, I have seen John Edward and I wish that he could convince me but sometimes he seems to be guessing or something. And maybe the people are reaching to get answers. I don't know. It would be nice to believe.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #5

natalie_ogle HB User

Hey, maybe I could be of some help...maybe. Ever since this whole anxiety has started I've become more and more spiritual because I find it interesting and it also gives me hope for many different things. I used to be afraid of death (not as much to call it a phobia though) but now I see death more as a transformation instead of a dark, scary end. Everybody has their own beliefs about God, religion and the after life and it is definitely your decision to decide what beliefs are right for you and find certain ideas that call to you. I wouldn't say that I am a part of a certain religion, but I am more spiritual. About John Edwards, I also have doubts that what he is doing is real but of course I will always have doubts and so will you because we are human. If you don't have any direction that you specifically want to go now, I suggest that you read some of Sylvia Browne's books (particularly the ones about the Other Side which is about the afterlife). The only real way that you can get rid of this phobia (I think) is to create for yourself a different perspective of death instead of being a dark, scary, end to everything and actually trust yourself that this belief is true for you. After getting involved in this stuff I've actually realized that I'm excited to die (although that sounds weird and I wouldn't ever commit suicide or anything). I've also heard that the birth process is the scary and awkward transformation instead of death. These are just some of my beliefs and hope that you can find some of your own. Oh yeah, find what you can about near-death experiences. I find that it is something very easy for me to believe because out of all the experiences I have heard about, they all are VERY similar. I sure hope this helps...maybe even just a tiny tiny tiny bit. God bless!

Old 10-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

I agree with the near death experiences. Those do seem a little out of the ordinary. I went to see Sylvia Brown when she was touring our city. One of the ladies that I went with was able to ask her a question about her sick husband. The answer was not correct or even close. That is when I started doubting. I used to watch her on Montel and it seemed like she had it all together. Also, there were some others in the audience that got replies from her that didn't seem right. On the other hand, there were some that did.

I am glad that you have your spiritual side developed. I think I did at one time and maybe I just need to work on it a little harder. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:25 PM   #7

TWISTED II HB User

i also used to watch sulvia brown on montel. my mom has all of john edward's books and a few sylvia brown books. shes more into it cuz she likes spooky, unexplained stuff, haha. but in any event, i am going to read some of her books along with some of J E's books. i've also heard that the hardest transformation one will go through is birth, not death. very interesting perspectivce, because i'm sure they are the same in a sense. i didn't know i was being born, just like i won't know i'm dead. well, until i'm already dead, lol. i was raised christian, roman catholic, but have kinda drifted away from religion. i'm only 22, i can't live the rest of my life worrying about this stuff. nor can i live the rest of my life worrying about getting diseases. lord knows what i'm gonna do when i'm old and might actually have some of these illnesses i think i have now, lol.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #8

natalie_ogle HB User

Just always remember that you are not alone. Whatever you are suffering from, there are other people out there suffering from the same thing...just like our anxiety. Support and reassurance from loved ones that everything is gonna be alright really calms my fears.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #9

TWISTED II HB User

its just ridiculous that i am scared of something like death. me and death cannot coexsist, so why should i fear it. i will never be faced with it. its not like spiders, where one can crawl at me, or i may have one jump at me. if i die, i'm dead, lol. i cannot coexsist with my fear, so i dunno how i can conquer it, besides with spiritual stuff or CBT which is my next step.

Old 10-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #10

natalie_ogle HB User

I don't know what you can do next to get rid of it. It's hard to get rid of phobias. I have a phobia of puking. I just try not to think about it or let it take over me. I think if you have a phobia of death you will have it always but it's just a matter of dealing with it and not letting it consume you. Have you ever been in a car accident or fallen down unexpectedly or something of that nature? Have you noticed how you don't even know what has happened till afterwards? That is how it is for me. I used to ride horses and there was one horse that I fell off of a lot and I wouldn't even realize I was on the ground till after it happened. I expect death will be something like that unless you die peacefully in your sleep or something...just a thought.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:25 PM   #11

TWISTED II HB User

i kinda know what your talking about. i crashed a motor cycle a few years back. and i felt it going out of control, and i can remember crashing....but it wasn't till i stopped sliding across the cement that i kinda realized "oh boy, i just crashed." thats a very scary feeling, and i can only hope i die in my sleep. i wonder if i had a choice of knowing when i am going to die, if i would want to know. cuz i say i wanna die in my sleep...but i don't want to have any undone business. i don't want to go to bed thinking "tomorrow, i'll tell this person i love them." and then drop dead. man, i'm only 22 and i am thinking like this. i need to stop this. i only get one shot at this thing called life and i'll be damned if i'm gonna live it like this.

Closed Thread