It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
storm phobias and fears

perhaps we should give some thought to those anxiety and panic attack sufferers with storm phobias, especially in the USA which has extreme weather, compared to other countries

the USA has more than its fair share of hurricanes and tornados.

I know of several who retreat to the cellars of their houses for long periods when bad weather is forecast, or happening.

there is a TV weather channel which they monitor more or less permanently, desensitisation for this phobia hasnt helped them, and more benzos are the usual treatment

one sufferer had to move as the almost daily thunderstorms ( florida) were too much to cope with

Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
(female)

Ladybandit08 HB User
Re: storm phobias and fears

Wow, this is exactly me, and has been since i was a small child. My mother was extremely afraid of the weather, used to hide me in the closet, basement, car, garage, when storms and bad weather threatned. Now as an adult, 24...i am EXTREMELY afraid of bad weather, especially thunderstorms..the summer and spring bring plenty of them, I watch the weather channel constantly..i think this is where my panic started. I used to hold the Bible and pray and read verses while it stormed, im starting to get a LITTLE better, but not much. I hide , and i cry my eyes out and panic extremley when it storms...i think i know more about weather now than the meteorolgists! Im also afraid of snow storms, but the being stuck without being able to get to the hospital in case im gonna die, its a little different than the Thunderstorms. Before my panic attacks got really bad and i could stay alone, i would NOT stay by myself if bad weather threatned, i plan out where i would go to stay if it was going to storm, or if it was forecasted to storm. I remember one time i was about 17 and was home alone and a storm came, i went into bit of a "shock" was hiding in the corner , my mom came rushing home knowing that i would be a mess...

any one else like this?? any tips?

Take care,
Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #3
(female)

Tiggerredz HB User
Re: storm phobias and fears

I live in Evansville, IN. and work in Newburgh were a tornadoe just came through and destoryed many homes and killed 24 poeple, it has been awful here for several weeks, last week we had a scare were another line of storms came throguh and they said it would be worst than the first, well we were all on edge, people I thought were strong as rocks were panicky, crying and scared because the weather was so up and down all day, finally our boss let us go home, we also volunterred for a few days and that helped alot..I felt bad for everyone because I was panicky but had meds and I knew what everyone was going through. It really puts things into perspetive, the tornadoe was so bad because it was at 2:30 a.m. and most were asleep unable to hear the sirens, it was a mile from where I live and I slept right through it...my in-laws were in Texas and called to check on us and that is how we found out...scary..all of the stories and seeing the devastated areas is surreal knowing you drove by there everyday and now it is just gone....like a bomb went ff or something..

Closed Thread