It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Phobia's and Anxiety

I have not been diagnosed with anxiety but am considering going to the Dr and discussing what is going on. My basic question boils down to...Does this sound like anxiety?

I have always been what I call a fearful person. I have told people that I am just phobic about certain things. I am afraid to the point of panic if a bird or a mouse gets into our garage. I am afraid any time I don't have a clear way out of a situation with animals. I am afraid of mice, frogs, june bugs, etc. I have listened for years to people tell me that they can't hurt me but it doesn't matter, I still get an intense panic around them.

I can watch a scary movie and be afraid to go to bed for days. I can watch recent happenings on the news and be terrified for my family to the point of picturing something bad happening. A few years ago, we had 4 children die in our extended family. All were younger than 2 and about the same age as my own children. I KNEW something was going to happen to my kids. I planned how I would react and how I would cope. Luckily, I have phased out of that.

I get very upset if I feel that we are going to be late to something. I get upset if we are low on money. The list just goes on. To look at me, you would think that I was emotionally healthy as most of my family just laughs all of this off. It is very serious to me and I am realizing that it is no way to live. I am tired of being afraid of everything.

Does this sound like anxiety or something far different? TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Phobia's and Anxiety

Hi mom,
you have phobias about the things you mention, phobias are excessive fears, you are more fearful than is appropriate or needed

you also worry too much and are very suggestable
all these things are classed as anxiety disorders and the doc will probably want you on an antidepressant med, try also to get some valium or similar

learning how to relax and not worry will also help you a lot

Old 10-31-2004, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Thanks so much hry33, good to see you BTW. I go through periods of being very tired and down. I DID go to the Dr about that and was put on Elavil. That didn't work so I was put on Trazadone. That didn't work either so I gave up on the antidepressants.

Do you think an antianxiety med would work better in this case? I wonder also about how counseling would work. I have gone to counseling before but my family is so dysfunctional that the anxiety wasn't even mentioned!!LOL

Do you know the standard protocol for treating phobias? Will treating one phobia help with the rest of them? Thanks again

Old 10-31-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi
I would suggest you try some more antidepressants as there are several types and often 1 will work when others havent, valium when needed also helps a lot

prozac and effexor are 2 types of antidepressants you havent tried

you need to learn to relax and stop worrying, self help books have the info you need or you may be able to find a helpful therapist, but he will be probably teaching you the same stuff as is in the books

Old 10-31-2004, 09:12 PM   #5

jess301 HB User

you should really think about combing talk therapy with meds--it can make all the difference, and i have to disagree that you can get the same effect from a self-help book. sure, those books can be very helpful, but what you have described says to me that you have alot going on and could benefit from a professional helping you sort through it all. good luck!

Closed Thread