It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
(female)

charzysbebe HB User
Does anyone one have a phobia??

I was just curious if anyone else besides me, has a phobia that causes anxiety attacks?? I have emetophobia (fear of vomit) and it has run my life for as long as I can remember. I feel so alone, and no one understands me. It would be nice to know that there are others out there who's world revolves around an irrational fear.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User
Re: Does anyone one have a phobia??

Hi charzysbebe,

I believe I am also emetophobic though I have only recently admitted this to myself. I wish I could go seek treatment but my parents would basically laugh in my face and truth is, I'm too afraid. I have been diagnosed with chronic GAD with frequent PA's, but now I normally have PA's over feeling sick or imagining someone else is going to be sick, and since I'm going to be studying dentistry at uni, I think it's quite important I do get over it soon!

I just wonder if you're the same... If a family member is sick (even not vomiting/non contageous) you can't touch anything they've touched? Can't be in the same room? Can't care for them? Avoid them as much as possible? You wash your hands a lot? Can't cook your own food? Scared of going to restaurants in case they haven't cooked it right? Scared of going on holiday in case you catch something or the different food makes you sick? Scared of long plane, car, train, bus journeys in case it makes you sick? Scared of going on planes in case you catch something with all that recirculated air?

Yeah and that's just a sample! Lol!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 07:30 AM   #3

Jesussavesme HB User

My phobia is HIV im constantly reading the symptoms and thinking im having them, Night sweats weight loss swollen glands so and and so on, The more i read the more symptoms i expierence

Old 01-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

anxiety sufferers often get phobias or excessive fears, that bring on panic attacks, the panic attack of course cements the phobia into your mind

Old 01-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #5

natalie_ogle HB User

charzysbebe-

I thought I was the only one with a phobia of puking. I didn't even know it had a name. I've always been afraid of it since I can remember but when full blown anxiety came about 2 years ago my life was controlled by my fear of it, until I got anxiety under control. I would get panic attacks because I was afraid of getting a panic attack because I would think that I would puke. My number one symptom that I have now when I do get anxious is a tight feeling in the throat that makes it feel like if I move too fast or speak or swallow that I will gag. It even has made me gag. It is the most awful feeling in the world. This feeling was so intense for like a year an a half if I would go ANYWHERE. Glad to know I'm not alone. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
(female)

islandkate HB User

I am claustrophobic..............has caused some embarressing situations sometimes because it also bring on a panic attack.........one of those ones where HAVE TO GET OUT OF THERE!! LOL!!

Old 01-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #7

Zeethan HB User

I developed a fear of bridges during my first pregnancy in '93, even though I am from the Bay area and have been on the Golden Gate more times than a ride at Disneyland. I also have a small failure to deal with crowds now. Went to the mall a few days after xmas and all the people there just drove me nuts, I didn't panic like I did once, but still, it was uncomfortable.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I have a big fear of the unknown such as swimming in the ocean...whats under me...JAWS???? It mixes with my fear of death...I do NOT want to die because of the unknown....
The one that affects me on a day to day basis is the fear of flying bugs! Roaches, moths, butterfly's, bee's....things with *******s, little nasty legs. YUCK. If one lands on me my friends think its hysterical...I seriously get sick to my stomach and hypervenalate and I WILL shove one of my friends in the path of the creature.
I sometimes get panick attacks if I don't have control over something.....being in the car with someone else driving....I have to have a way I can control my surroundings. I'm not real good with authority...I obey the law don't get me wrong but I can NOT stand someone who thinks they are above me and bosses (we are equal). Then the claws come out! So that's my dumb panick and anxiety attacks...........OH I almost forgot the biggest one.....I HATE HATE HATE to be snuck up on and scared! I will swing! Usually happens mostly with the bugs but on occasion my four year old will quietly sneak up on me at night, he's been lucky so far....I usually will yell out a swear word OPPS!

Old 01-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
(female)

teko2000 HB User

I have had a phobia ever since I was young. My mom would over emphisis that as a girl i should watch my drink so someone doesnt put drugs in it. My first panic attack i thought someone put something in my drink. I have to laugh at myself while im writing this because i at least know where this anxiety came from....my mom! to this day if a anxiety panic attack comes on i look around and see who may of slipped something in my drink, then i have to remind myself I've felt like this before and no one is out to get me. gee thanks Mom

Old 01-09-2005, 11:11 PM   #10
(female)

charzysbebe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemonkey
Hi charzysbebe,

I believe I am also emetophobic though I have only recently admitted this to myself. I wish I could go seek treatment but my parents would basically laugh in my face and truth is, I'm too afraid. I have been diagnosed with chronic GAD with frequent PA's, but now I normally have PA's over feeling sick or imagining someone else is going to be sick, and since I'm going to be studying dentistry at uni, I think it's quite important I do get over it soon!

I just wonder if you're the same... If a family member is sick (even not vomiting/non contageous) you can't touch anything they've touched? Can't be in the same room? Can't care for them? Avoid them as much as possible? You wash your hands a lot? Can't cook your own food? Scared of going to restaurants in case they haven't cooked it right? Scared of going on holiday in case you catch something or the different food makes you sick? Scared of long plane, car, train, bus journeys in case it makes you sick? Scared of going on planes in case you catch something with all that recirculated air?

Yeah and that's just a sample! Lol!
Oh gosh yes...that is me, and you are an emet!! Just by what you have described to me, those are sure signs of emetophobia! I have panic attacks when someone around me vomits, and/or may feel like vomiting. If my kids are sick, (or even if they just act sick or "different") I won't touch what they touch, and I cannot care for them. (my husband does most of it) I get scared at restaurants too...scared to ride in the car with someone else, for fear they may get car sick. I won't go on planes because I am afraid it will crash, but also because of the nasty recirculated air!!! ICK!!! You sound like a typical emet. Do you fear yourself vomiting, others, or both?? Either way, it is emet. My list can go on and on about my stupid rituals and irrational thoughts and behaviors with this phobia. I hate it, and no one understands. [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails - no websites ] Nice to meet you!!!! Charlotte

Last edited by moderator2; 01-10-2005 at 07:23 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails - no websites

Old 01-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #11
(female)

charzysbebe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie_ogle
charzysbebe-

I thought I was the only one with a phobia of puking. I didn't even know it had a name. I've always been afraid of it since I can remember but when full blown anxiety came about 2 years ago my life was controlled by my fear of it, until I got anxiety under control. I would get panic attacks because I was afraid of getting a panic attack because I would think that I would puke. My number one symptom that I have now when I do get anxious is a tight feeling in the throat that makes it feel like if I move too fast or speak or swallow that I will gag. It even has made me gag. It is the most awful feeling in the world. This feeling was so intense for like a year an a half if I would go ANYWHERE. Glad to know I'm not alone. Good luck!
Wow!! Another person with a phobia of vomiting!! Yeah, it is called emetophobia, and as I said in another post on this thread, there is an emetophobia forum that you can get lots of support from. It is awesome!! Sad the we have phobias, but glad I don't feel so alone!!! Charlotte

Old 01-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #12
(female)

charzysbebe HB User

Wow all you guys!! It is so hard to believe that some of you go through panic just like me...but with different things!!! I bet to some of you, vomiting is nothing to worry about...whereas, your phobia to me, wouldn't bother me either! WOW!!! Just goes to show you how our minds are the same, but yet different ya know?? It would be great for me to get to know about some of your different phobias in comparison to mine...and see if we have the same behaviors. It is also great that we can all support each other with these issues!! Oh, by the way...I feel like an idiot...I just noticed that the title of this thread says "Does anyone one".....LOL!! One to many ones! Oops!

Old 01-09-2005, 11:49 PM   #13
(female)

suzyisdizzy HB User

I too have emetophobia. BIG TIME! It has ruined my life. And then if things couldn't get any worse I have developed an inner ear disorder that makes me dizzy 24/7. The dizziness is also motion sickness, so I feel nauseous a lot. I can't believe me of all people would developed a disorder that makes you nauseous! It has been pure hell, but I am trying to get by.
Be grateful that you don't have an inner ear disorder like me. Now I wish I hadn't spent all those years worrying about puking when really there was nothing wrong with me. I hope you learn to cope with it and over come it.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #14

zzzzlady HB User

WOW ! I am amazed at all the other emetophobics out there besides myself!!! I have suffered with this phobia for 30+ years, and I did not have children because this terrible fear has gripped me for so long. My life is totally controlled by this fear. I dont wish this on anyone, but I am glad to know that there are others out there that can relate !

My Psyciatrist has me on 1.5 mg of xanax per day. It kinda helps, but whether it helps or not, I REFUSE to up the dose. I would much rather find a natural alternative so that I can stop taking this xanax.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User

OMG.....I always thought I was the odd one out! I can't believe all these posts, they sound just like me. I have a HUGE fear of vomit, as far back as I can remember (grade 1) and I didn't know it had a name. I can't stand someone else driving, airplanes, illnesses, SUZY - I have a middle ear disorder too (NOT FUN), someone else posted something that they got so worked up they always gagged -- happened to me more than once on the elevator at work...........what kind of help is out there for us? I take Trazodone at night and Zoloft during the day for another condition (fibromyalgia).

Whew, I feel so much better already!

Oh, and I too am petrified of having children -- what am I going to do when one day I have to clean up after them????

Closed Thread