It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

dd annie HB User
Social Phobia?

I was doing some research, trying to learn about mental health. I came across social phobia and noticed that I have most of the symptoms of it. I fear going out by myself, I am scared of talking to strangers even people at the video store, I am even afraid of my family get togethers, to talking to people I have not seen much or do not know. I am scared of answering the phones. When I do go out to meet with people, I get severe headaches, I studder, my mind goes blank, and I tremble. Now, I want to know, how do you really know if you have a problem, and how do you treat it? Are there any natural ways to over come this? My research has not gone well, as it seems like websites only want to sell you something.

Annie

Old 01-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Re: Social Phobia?

I think the difference is degree. Sometimes social phobia is "situational" - you might be uncomfortable with strangers, but not with friends. So on and so forth. Do you feel really bad about your social skills? If so, you might want to talk to a professional. If shyness is severe, sometimes anti-depressants can treat it really well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: Social Phobia?

From what you described, it sounds like you do have a pretty significant problem. Also there are a whole bunch of conditions that have similar names and symptoms, so you might want to look at a whole bunch of them... there's social phobia, social anxiety disorder, agoraphobia, and then probably a whole bunch of other things relating to phobias... xenophobia is the fear of foreigners etc... there's a lot of social stuff. Schizoid personality disorder wouldn't apply in your case; they don't like social things and stay as secluded as possible, but there's no anxiety.
So I would look into all of the social anxiety stuff... google it or whatever... there's a bunch of conditions. A professional of course knows best, but it's important to familiarize yourself with this stuff as well!
Kristina

Old 01-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
(female)

dd annie HB User

Thank you for replying to my post. It feels good to know that some people out there have the same problem. Anyways, I bought a book on overcoming shyness and social phobia.

Annie

Old 02-02-2005, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

LoriGymnast HB User

Hello hbannie,
My 17 year old son suffers from shyness and some social phobia also. What book did you buy and have you read any of it yet? If so what do you think of the book, is it answering some of your questions and is it helping you at all? I wish you all the best and Jesus can help you if you trust in Him and believe! God has you here for a reason and it takes all different kinds of personalities to make the world a better place. Just because one person has the gift of gab, if everyone did it would be boring and we would get on each others nerves. Try to love yourself first and others will like or love you too. Try your best not to think so much before hand about dealing with people, just go along and relax and be yourself and conversation will come easier. I hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:23 PM   #6
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I remember reading a book a long time ago, when I was having severe anxiety symptoms. The book didn't help. And yes, I believe in Jesus. Jesus was carrying me all by himself then. I changed my meds and instantly got better.

Books can make you feel a little better, like you're not alone, but if the problem has a medical cause it should be treated medically. When your frontal lobe doesn't work right, it can cause all kinds of symptoms - depression, anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations, shyness and fear, to name a few. And we always feel like it's our own personal failure. Why would we choose to feel terrible? I certainly didn't. I use what works - meds.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User

I had social phobia for most of my life, until I was finally diagnosed when I was 19. I started taking an anti-anxiety drug called Rivotril because situations that scared me and it helped a lot. After awhile, I was able to confront those situations without the drugs.

I'm still shy, but now I'm able to apply for jobs, make phone calls, ask strangers for informations and I even found myself a boyfriend. There *is* a light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 02-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
(female)

dd annie HB User

Thank you again for all the replies. It's been several days now and I have finished a book, seen a doctor and lots of other stuff. I have been shy for most of my teen years and now in my 20s. The book I read is called Painfully Shy. Apparently it is popular because my local bookstore was sold out.

I got it from the library and it really helped me to be educated. Also got the Lucinda Basset program. A cd, relaxing tape, and a workbook. I saw a doctor for the headaches and was prescribed Lepraxo. I joined a fitness gym and started working out every day. All of these are helping me a lot in combating this shyness problem. Now I know that it is okay to feel shy and uncomfortable, it's not going to hurt me, no one even notices that I am shy or nervous. Also, since I understand more, it has helped me not to feel scared in the social situation, I can make phone calls now, and talk to strangers, but still working on it.

Old 04-16-2005, 04:45 AM   #9
(female)

Sheri198 HB User

hello,

i am 19 yrs old. i have aways been shy and socially withdrawn. i found out that i had SAD(social anxiety disorder) about 2 yrs ago. i thought i was the only one going through this. when i was in the 10 grade it would be soooo hard to go to school, everything i was around people my stomach would hurt , i would feel like i had a fever, and i would sweat excessively. to stop this feeling...i simple stopped going to school. my mother found out because through the school and she had a meeting w/ the principal. i was put out of the school (it was a magnet school) ..but i could finish the 10th grade. my mom pleaded with me..she wanted to know where i was when i wasnt at school..and what i was doing. i would/n't tell her. until a yr later. i told her i was at home. my grades became low... i was in danger of not graduating...
not only did it affect my schooling...it affected everything!....from doing to the store....to signing my name while someone is watching....
now i realize i have this problem...i dont go to therpy or anything like that. i give myself pep talks...i have to teach my self to be assertive...and take chances..no matter what others my think...

btw...another thing.....it caused me to be obsessively concerned about my physical appearance than before.

YOUR NOT ALONE!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
(female)

BethyGirlie HB User
Talking Re: Social Phobia?

My best friend had a huge degree of social anxiety. He was afraid to go into certain stores by himself, he was afraid to call people (even his family members), he was afraid to answer the door if we ordered a pizza, etc. He got into therapy and didn't even need medicated, he just got to talk about what was going on and his therapist gave him tips and they worked. Now he is almost like a new person. He takes it day by day. What I'm getting at is sometimes all ya need is a therapist to talk to (an unbiased opinion) to give you tips and pointers and sometimes that's all it takes. Hope I helped ya.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #11
(male)

Rick1234 HB User

I have had social pobia since I was 8 (started with a bad experience at school) I'm now 33 and signed off sick from work. I got panic attacks in meetings and when I had to give presentations, just wondered if anyone else gets similar. Thx

Old 06-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #12

Cudlow HB User

ive suffered with it for 6 years now (im 21) its got worse with time. I avoid meeting new people.....afraid i mess up all the time. ive tried 2 types of meds, none made me feel any better. a couple of months ago i started councelling (involved a lot of sneaking to make sure no one thought i was going!). i went for a few sessions and the councellor kind of give in, its more the physical symptons of blushing that effect me, and being a man it makes it more difficult as in society you expect women to blush e.g "the blushing bride" at a wedding , not a 6 foot man to be blushing just because its the first time he has spoken to someone and worry what they think!

what makes it worse is that no one knows how i feel and i have to keep it all bottled up 24/7 - i have no one who i feel close enough to let my heart out to. i actually started crying when i was in councelling as it all got too much.

next time i can sneek off to doctors i am going to try to get on a waiting list for an operation to stop blushing, hopefully it could change my life

Old 06-06-2005, 08:59 AM   #13
(female)

LOtRsfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbannie
I was doing some research, trying to learn about mental health. I came across social phobia and noticed that I have most of the symptoms of it. I fear going out by myself, I am scared of talking to strangers even people at the video store, I am even afraid of my family get togethers, to talking to people I have not seen much or do not know. I am scared of answering the phones. When I do go out to meet with people, I get severe headaches, I studder, my mind goes blank, and I tremble. Now, I want to know, how do you really know if you have a problem, and how do you treat it? Are there any natural ways to over come this? My research has not gone well, as it seems like websites only want to sell you something.

Annie
i have this problem too, so your not alone, i don't like going out on my own either, i refuse to just go down the shop to get a pint of milk or something, and i too get nervous and i don't really like family get togethers coz one half of my family we never see anymore (we used to see them often) and i get nervous when my family says we should get together, as theres about 6 or more, and there my Auntie and Uncle and Cousins that have grown up with kids of their own, and last time we met up at a funeral my young cousins looked at me as if i was a complete stranger, and it made my shyier, and not what to start talking to them,when when they were much younger, and we used to visit them often i used to carry them round, and talk to them, but now its not like that...i am also nervous of talking to strangers, i went to college but then left coz i was getting abit bullied i think by my shyness, i get nervous in just saying hello to strangers too...

Closed Thread