HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Phobias (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/phobias/)
-   -   Cancer phobia Please help!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/phobias/251288-cancer-phobia-please-help.html)

maggiekitty 02-09-2005 08:45 AM

Cancer phobia Please help!!

Hi everyone. I am new to this board and feel like I know everyone. My phobia started 6 yrs ago when I lost my mother and mother-in-law within 8 months of each other. They both died of cancer. So, can you guess what my phobia is? You got it Cancer!! I am convinced with every ache and pain that I have cancer. It totally stinks. It's been really bad since I turned 40 last year. I have had a new ailment every week I swear. Right now my abdomen is sore and I just finished my period which was lighter than normal. Now, in reality, I'm thinking that my period was lighter because I had been taking alot of Motrin and muscle relaxers for a back injury and my abs hurt because I just had my period and am now ovulating. But, in non-reality world, I think I have abdominal cancer or ovarian cancer. Also, the bone on my right leg between my knee and ankle is sore in a couple of spots. Now I think I have bone cancer. This is driving me (and everyone else) crazy. I also look at my two kids ages 6 and 4 and wonder if they will be okay if something really does happen to me. This is a horrible way to live. Now, if you were me and had these symptoms, would you think you had cancer? Please someone give me some help. I'm getting desperate. Thank you.

hry33 02-09-2005 10:57 AM

Re: Cancer phobia Please help!!

Hi maggie
your fear or phobia is common
cancer sociaties probably woulf have help and advice

religion sometimes helps with problems like yours

maggiekitty 02-09-2005 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=hry33]Hi maggie
your fear or phobia is common
cancer sociaties probably woulf have help and advice

religion sometimes helps with problems like yours[/QUOTE]

Where do I find a cancer sociaties? Thank you.

Sunlover 02-09-2005 02:21 PM

I am just like you! - except at least you had a REASON! One thing goes away just to be replaced by something else, it's constant! When younger I'd comfort myself with "I'm too young" now I can't say that anymore and I get so depressed. (by the way I'm 46) I've "had" stomach cancer; bowel cancer; uterine cancer; ovarian cancer; brain tumors; skin cancer; throat cancer... I probably missed a few! :eek: Sometimes one overlaps the other, sometimes I can be ME for a few weeks until I get some other symptom. When whatever it is goes away, I look back on it and think how stupid I was and laugh, then when the next thing hits I think, "Now THIS time it's the real thing!! I can't keep dodging bullets forever! This is it!!" And the cycle starts again.

CorieLynn 02-09-2005 02:46 PM

I'm the same way, too. I get pelvic pain and think I must have uterine or ovarian cancer. I get a severe headache or head pressure and think I could have a tumor growing in my brain. Abdominal pain.... must be colon cancer, etc. I currently have a couple swollen lymph nodes and have convinced myself I might have lymphoma.
I've also had chest pain and trouble breathing for awhile. I was sure I had heart disease, but since I had any heart problems ruled out by a Cardiologist...I've now moved on to thinking I must have some type of mass growing in my chest. It's never ending! I keep going to Dr.'s thinking it will ease my mind. It does help for awhile and then I come up with something else that could be wrong. It really is a vicious cycle. ~C

Madonna 02-09-2005 03:06 PM

I had to quit reading medical encyclopedias because I was catching everything in them! It was torture. I just went to the doctor because I "Had MS". When he told me I didnt, I started crying because I was so relieved. He looked at me like I was crazy and said MS never even entered his mind.

I have had everything you can think of. Eye disorders, skin cancer, brain tumors, lung disorders. I know one day I am going to die from something but what will it be??? And if I really do have something wrong, will I fool myself and talk myself out of it because I am too scared to face the truth? OMG, I am driving myself crazy.

chuzzlewit 02-09-2005 04:26 PM

I also worry about cancers and other problems, my symptoms seem so real. Trouble is, I really did end up with a brain tumor, surgically removed January 2004. Now I'm on to new forms of cancer and other hideous illnesses I diagnose myself with on the internet! :eek:

weezer121 02-09-2005 05:32 PM

I also have fear of cancer my father died of kidney cancer about 4 years ago and my mother was diagnosed with lou gherings recently. I have a lump behind my ear and Ive had 3 doctors look at it and they all say it's nothing...plus now my lymp nodes are swollen. :-(

maggiekitty 02-10-2005 07:09 AM

I am so glad that I'm not alone in this fear. Right now, my bladder is not right. Feels like I have to go alot and it feels like it is in spasm sometimes. Probably just an infection. However, this morning, I woke up and have small white things on the front of my tongue. Looks like thrush to me, which is caused by yeast. Is it possible for me to have a yeast infection in my woman area that has spread through my body to my mouth? I have a dr appt today at 3:10, but would like anyones opinion until then. Thanks.

pillzpillzpillz 02-10-2005 09:52 AM

Well, I am 36 years old and REALLY DID have cancer! Small Cell Ovarian cancer at the tender age of 22, found with the birth of my youngest (and last) son. It was a very rare, fatal form and there isn't a lot known about it b/c most women didn't survive it. I went through intense chemotherapy and radiation and I am STILL HERE :)

Living your life fearing death is no way to live, and I did have to learn how to live not fearing death after my bout of cacner- I could be having a good day and all of a sudden, I would think about cancer/death and get extremely depressed and scared, or I would have a pain and that would do it - even though the rational side of me knew it couldn't be, I still scared myself. One thing I can tell you is that there are many symptoms when you have cancer - I'm not going to tell you what they were for me b/c then you will have the symptoms too :=) Our mind is powerful and can play tricks on us...having a pain in one area is likely NOT cancer because when you start feeling the pain, it often means the cancer has advanced and you would be having a lot of other symptoms (prior to the pain) and would most likely have been to the Dr. for the other issues before you got the pain... :) At least that was my experience. I was pregnant and had a few issues PRIOR to the pain I started to feel in my 7 month and I wouldn't have felt the pain had it not been for the fact that being 7 months along there wasn't much room in there when you figure the baby was about full term and when I delivered 6 weeks later, the tumor on my left ovary was 5 pounds and my son weighed 7lbs 10oz - I looked like I was having twins, but had lost so much weight that I was rail thin through the back end etc. Only my belly was HUGE! All the nutrients went to the baby and the tumor...

Anyway, take it from me, if you had cancer there would be many signs that would likely bring you to the dr.'s BEFORE you felt the pain..OK...so, if you have been healthy right along and all of a sudden your lower back aches, or you have abdominal pain, chances are it's NOT cancer... :-)

-Pillz

pillzpillzpillz 02-10-2005 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=maggiekitty]I am so glad that I'm not alone in this fear. Right now, my bladder is not right. Feels like I have to go alot and it feels like it is in spasm sometimes. Probably just an infection. However, this morning, I woke up and have small white things on the front of my tongue. Looks like thrush to me, which is caused by yeast. Is it possible for me to have a yeast infection in my woman area that has spread through my body to my mouth? I have a dr appt today at 3:10, but would like anyones opinion until then. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have a urinary tract infection, common in women. It can be very uncomfortable and cause a twinging pain when you urinate as well as abdominal tenderness and frequent urination. As far as the white spots on your tounge go, I would rather doubt they are related to the urinary tract infection you have - could be 2 different things - I am guessing about the UTI, it sounds like it but of course I'm not positive - Yeast infections tend to be very itchy (down there) and can get painful if you itch too much, unlike the Urinary tract infection which causes you to have to go pee frequently and can cause pain and abdominal tenderness as I mentioned.

-Pillz

hillaryb 02-10-2005 10:10 AM

I had cancer when I was 16. It is NOT worth worrying your life away. You could die an hour from now in a car crash. We dont know when we will die. We dont know how we will die. I believe that it is HOW you spend your life, and if you are constantly in fear of dying, you are not really living. I used to worry too, for good reason. But I realized that this is totally out of my hands, and gave it up. I live from hour to hour, day to day, and know that when it is time for me to go, I will go. After all, everyone is going to die. That is all we know for sure. You will die someday. Everyone here will. You are worrying about something that will inevitably happen. You need to enjoy the times that you are alive and well. It is such a waste not to. If you were diagnosed with cancer, your biggest regret would probably be wasting the time that you were healthy and could do the things you wanted to do because you were afraid. Plus, I had cancer, lol it stinks (big time!!!!) but though a recurrance looms over me (I know there is always a chance it may return) I wont let it win. I beat it once, and if I spend the rest of my days letting cancer rule me, I lose, it wins.

Madonna 02-10-2005 12:47 PM

Thank you for the wise insight about not worrying about cancer. You guys are so right, we should not worry so much about our health. It is just hard not to. My arm starting hurting and feeling "funny" this morning and I knew the doctor was wrong at my visit last week, I really do have MS. Now isnt that crazy? Then I realized it was because I have had my arm proped up for the last two years at work using my mouse. I changed my mouse to the other hand (hard to get used to) and now my arm feels fine. :rolleyes:

Why do we torture ouselves so much?

And to Hillaryb and Pillz, I am so glad you guys are survivors. Your words are filled with wisdom. I am very grateful to have you here on the boards with us, as I am sure everyone is. You are two of God's angels :angel: I am going to pray for both of you that the rest of your lives are filled with health, love, and happiness.

pillzpillzpillz 02-10-2005 12:57 PM

Madona, thank you...

chuzzlewit 02-10-2005 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=maggiekitty]I am so glad that I'm not alone in this fear. Right now, my bladder is not right. Feels like I have to go alot and it feels like it is in spasm sometimes. Probably just an infection. However, this morning, I woke up and have small white things on the front of my tongue. Looks like thrush to me, which is caused by yeast. Is it possible for me to have a yeast infection in my woman area that has spread through my body to my mouth? I have a dr appt today at 3:10, but would like anyones opinion until then. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I also am currently worried about my bladder, and I have a bunch of white stuff on my tongue! I am a male, but this is still a weird coincidence!