It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Anti Social HB UserAnti Social HB UserAnti Social HB User
Angry Extreme Dental Phobia-Help!

I may sound silly & immature for 23 yrs old but I am EXTREMELY afraid of the dentist.I have a really bad needle phobia that has prevented me from seeing a dentist in about 10 yrs until yesterday.After having about 10 anxiety attacks and getting myself into such a state I w/ for an exam to have my teeth cleaned.Well according to the dentist I have bad gums but good teeth w/ no cavitys and very well may loose some teeth before I turn 30.Needless to say that scared me.I know that by not seeing a dentist in so long has messed my gums up but I honestly did not know it was that bad.One could not tell by looking at my teeth that my gums were that bad.In fact my teeth look "perfect" but its my gums that are the problem.

I may have to get my wisdowm teeth pulled and I am deathly afraid of having a needle stuck in my gums.Just the thought of it actually makes me physically ill w/ anxiety.I am aware of the dangers that may occur if I dont keep up w/ the checkups but I cant have a needle stuck in my gums ..I just cant..Anyone suggestions on what I could to help w/ this phobia??

Old 02-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #2

Doppler4000 HB User
Re: Extreme Dental Phobia-Help!

First of all, you may not believe this- but if the only thing you fear is getting anaesthetic, you've got one of the easier dental phobias to get over. Make a decision to beat it, then make a commitment, and you will. As far as the wisdom teeth go- that's going to be the easiest part. You can get all that work done under conscious general anasethesia by an oral surgeon (don't have your wisdom teeth removed by a general dentist). Yes, you'll have to get the drugs through a TINY little IV, but that will be not problem and then you can get the rest of the anaesthetic after you're already asleep. You'll wake up and it will be all finished. As for taking a local for other types of treatment, you have to trust that getting the injection is quick, and nowhere near as bad as what you've got imagined in your head. It really isn't. You need to find an understanding doc that you feel comfortable with, and then you have to take the responsibility to practice relaxation techniques and a little work on your own. Practically speaking, when you get the local, you'll first get a topical gel placed on your gum to numb it- and the stuff DOES work. When you get the actual injection, you don't have to watch- and you'll just feel a bit of a pinch more than pain. Nobody likes it, sure- but once you've had it a couple times, you'll wonder why you were so afraid. Anyway, the point is that you really CAN do it, and you'll feel good when you have a healthy mouth again. You can get more help by doing a search for anxiety disorders.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

The PP is right about the gel and I think its a relatively new thing (so you may not have ever had experience with it). When I need a filling or something the assistant puts it on my gum for several minutes with a swab. By the time the dentist gives the novacaine I honestly can't feel anything but pressure. That may be all you need since its the needle you most fear (me too) and that gel helps to alleviate that fear. You could call and ask if your dentist uses it first. I think most do now. If not, try another dentist.

Nancy

Old 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aquarius0121 HB User

I'm afraid of the dentist too. But I'm also afraid of my teeth rotting to that's my motivation for going. I'm afraid of the needle most of all too (not really the drill) and I usually shake and cry in the chair every time I'm at the dentist. I've learned to suck it up, get in my car, and go to the office... but once I'm there it's another story. The best thing you can do is say, yes, I'm afraid but I'm still going to take care of my teeth. Nothing is wrong with being afraid once in a while

Old 02-25-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Man....I feel for you, I have the same problem! I hate going to the dentist!

Old 02-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Hello,

I have a terrible phobia when it comes to dentists as well. I have such anxiety that I don't sleep the entire week (maybe even longer) before my scheduled appt. and when I get there I could be sick. I shake and my heart pounds out of my chest.

About 5 years ago I found a dentist (I live in NY) that specifically works with "Apprehensive Patients". They treat you with concious IV sedation. I have done it quite a few times. When you arrive they can give you a small pill if you would like to calm you down. About 30 minutes later they walk you into the room where they do the work and prepare you. You will get a small IV needle in your arm. If you can stand the IV need without the pill, it may be easier to wake up afterwards. In any event, all the work in your mouth, including the needles to numb you is done while you are under sedation. You don't feel anything and when you are done they wake you and it's over! I have an appt. on Saturday to have a molar extracted and some gum work done too. I am so upset that I am losing my tooth, I am beside myself. I will have to get a bridge or some sort of replacement. I think you should look into this type of treatment for yourself. It could save your teeth. You are too young to lose teeth, if you can bring yourself to looking around for this type of dentists, you will feel much better about going, especially since you have a full mouth of teeth.

I am so scared that I am embarrased but as I have gotten older, I realize this problem is more common than we think.

There are some dentists in the NY area that do this type of dental work. I know there is one in the NJ area as well.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Anti Social HB UserAnti Social HB UserAnti Social HB User

I am scared of NEEDLES,so anything to do w/ IV's just freaks me out!..If its possible to be knocked out BEFORE they put in an IV then ill be ok..Just as long as I DONT feel the needle being stuck in me.

Old 02-28-2005, 03:20 PM   #8
(female)

spiritedeye HB User

I have a fear of dentists as well, but it's no where near as bad as it used to be. The thought of even making an appointment made me feel sick!

The dentist I had when I was a teenager wasn't very good, and she was very rough, which gave me a huge fear. After about 8 years (now 21), I told myself I have to go because I don't want to lose my teeth. The dentist I go to now is great! When I made the appointment, I told them how I felt... When I got there, she was really understanding. I don't really feel that nervous about going anymore. Luckily, I just need a few fillings and a root canal that was finished recently.

As for needles, I too had a fear of them. I think when I had my first blood test a few months ago got me over that fear. I was absolutely petrified, and I even started crying when the doctor told me I needed one lol. I didn't feel a thing, and I wondered what I was so worried about. I know it's different having a needle in your gum, but I expect you'll think the same thing when you've had the injection

Old 02-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #9

Doppler4000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedeye
As for needles, I too had a fear of them. I think when I had my first blood test a few months ago got me over that fear. I was absolutely petrified, and I even started crying when the doctor told me I needed one lol. I didn't feel a thing, and I wondered what I was so worried about. I know it's different having a needle in your gum, but I expect you'll think the same thing when you've had the injection
You are exactly right. The number one thing that builds phobias and keeps them alive is continued long-term avoidance of that which you are afraid of. That's all there is to it. It takes a committment and perhaps some gradual working up to getting that exposure, but once you do it you'll realize your fears and imagination were way out of sync with reality.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

Hello again,

You can get a pill before the IV..........yes, it will put you to sleep and then you will feel nothing. I am going on Saturday for work (UGH) and I am not going to take the pill first. The dentist told me that you come out of it much faster this way. This will be my first time just going in and getting just the IV (I am a little nervous too) so I can't tell you which one I would recommend more until after Saturday. I hope you really try to find a solution, my mom always told me and still tells me to "take care of your teeth". She is speaking from experience and a set of false teeth on top. I truly believe there is nothing like your own! Try and see if you can get help to be treated this way. I think Phobia is much more common than we think. Staying away just makes it worse. Face it and find a solution and, in the long run, it will benefit you a million times over!

Good luck and ask around or look around the internet for IV sedation dentists, perhaps in your area......where you live.

Let me know how you make out!

Closed Thread