It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

jessica129 HB User
people phobia

I get very uncomfortable around people because i can't help but think about how "gross" everyone is. Simple things like shaking someones hand makes me sick. I keep thinking of all the gross things humans do on a daily basis and how everyone is dirty even if they appear well-kept. It seems to be getting worse and worse. All i can think about when i'm talking to someone is all the gross things they do in private. It's almost getting in the way of potential relationships. Is there some sort of diagnosis for this or am i just crazy? I was thinking something along the lines of ocd but i'm not sure.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: people phobia

probably just a people phobia from OCD
most of us, come to think of it are dirty and carrying lots of germs and parrasites, but things have always been that way

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Rark HB User

Classic case of OCD as far as I can tell.

I had a similar problem, but not with people (most people anyway). I wouldn't touch certain objects that just seemed plain dirty to me. I tried this technique I read about where I touched a public toilet and didn't wash my hands. It was gross for MAYBE 15 minutes. Afterwards I was talking with my friends, and while I initially avoided touching my face, or them, or most anything for fear of spreading my "contamination", I quickly forgot it all. About a half hour or so later I was even eating lunch without washing my hands.

I did this excercise a couple of more times, and eventually realized one day that I had went to the bathroom, PUT THE LID DOWN BY HAND (something I REALLY had to force myself to do) and flushed it BY HAND without even realizing it! Sure, I washed my hands, but not excessively and it wasn't until I was leaving that I realized I had just done that without thought. I currently do this all without having to be like, "Whoa, did I just do that?!". It just happens.

Perhaps that could work for you. Just DO IT. Shake people's hands. If you feel you're going to absolutely FREAK OUT or something, go and wash your hands and calm down a bit. It really wasn't that bad for me though, I guess just as long as you stay active right after--socializing (probably best), watching a movie, excercising, reading. Something to make your mind forget that you don't like that, and then your mind won't associate touching other people with germs.

At the very least, constantly use this techniques on those who you would like to pursue a relationship with Wouldn't want OCD getting in the way of that.

If this doesn't work at all, perhaps try seeking out a therapist that specializes in OCD therapy to give you better techniques.

Last edited by Rark; 03-06-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:45 AM   #4
(female)

pheobe13 HB User

Hi,

Maybe it would help to look up the health benefits from being in contact with bacteria. People who are obsessive about their house being spotless, and spray anti-bacteria stuff everywhere are generally less healthy. A small amount of bacteria is good for your health. You can't escape bacteria unless you live in a tent, so you might as well try and make them your friends.
Sticking your hands in your mouth after touching something bad is not a good idea, as we all know, but at worst will cause you to have food poisoning. Just touching stuff, or other people, is extremely unlikely to harm you.
I'm also sure it's a fact that people with pets are healthier than people without. And animals are supposedly a lot 'dirtier' than humans.

I do have to rinse a clean dish before I can use it, but that is mostly to get rid of the chemicals in washing up liquid (namely formaldehyde). So I do see where you are coming from. People are quite 'disgusting' when you look at it, but it is only natural. I don't think any living creature is designed to live in a sterile environment.

Do you have a partner? Or have you had one?
Was just wondering if you held hands with them etc etc.
Some "disgusting" human acts are quite enjoyable!

Closed Thread