It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

hannah_15 HB User
Question Emetophobia- afriad of being sick.. and throwing up

Hey everyone,
I need guided help after i had the stomach flu really bad in december everyday i recalled tomyself as " being sick" and i would think i was sick everyday i would almost make myself be sick. Like if i had a tummy ahce i would say i had " the stomach flu" and think about it my mind belived it but it never really was.. I dont think i will get over this problem until this flu season is over... ASking for help .... HANNAH

Old 03-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

wife&mom HB User
Re: Emetophobia- afriad of being sick.. and throwing up

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I wish I had some words of encouragement for you, but unfortunately I don't. I can tell you, however, that I suffer from the same phobia, and you are not alone. A lot of people have emetophobia. I've had it as far back as I can remember--all the way back to elementary school. In fact, I think that's where mine stemmed from, as I was traumatized watching a classmate projectile vomit all the way across the classroom...
Anyway, over the years I sort of "trained" myself, I guess, into NOT throwing up because I was so deathly afraid of it....if I felt myself getting the least bit queasy I would will myself not to vomit. It works rather well now, in fact I've made it through two pregnancies with virtually NO morning sickness, and I haven't had a stomach "bug" in YEARS. But it's still there--I still get scared sometimes if I feel like I may be coming down with something, or if I am around someone who's sick. Maybe if your problems continue you'll find a way to calm yourself eventually...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
(female)

hannah_15 HB User
Smile Re: Emetophobia- afriad of being sick.. and throwing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mom
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I wish I had some words of encouragement for you, but unfortunately I don't. I can tell you, however, that I suffer from the same phobia, and you are not alone. A lot of people have emetophobia. I've had it as far back as I can remember--all the way back to elementary school. In fact, I think that's where mine stemmed from, as I was traumatized watching a classmate projectile vomit all the way across the classroom...
Anyway, over the years I sort of "trained" myself, I guess, into NOT throwing up because I was so deathly afraid of it....if I felt myself getting the least bit queasy I would will myself not to vomit. It works rather well now, in fact I've made it through two pregnancies with virtually NO morning sickness, and I haven't had a stomach "bug" in YEARS. But it's still there--I still get scared sometimes if I feel like I may be coming down with something, or if I am around someone who's sick. Maybe if your problems continue you'll find a way to calm yourself eventually...

Thanx that kinda helps i dont think i will get over this until the flu "season" is over and i will get it back as the new flu "season" kicks into gear.. mine just started last year as i hada really bad stomach flu and i threw up 18 times with mostly " dry heaves" and it made me scared to EVER throw up again ... But thanx for ur story

Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

i too have this fear and i too got this bug 4 yrs ago and i was vomiting for 2 weeks straight and it made my fear worse. im afraid of food poisening more than anything and am very anal about certain foods. i did get it about 6 yrs ago and i remember thinking afterwards that it wasnt as bad as i thought. i take gravol at the slightest upset stomach. so i know what ur going through sometimes when we go through traumatizing events it can trigger a life long phobia. just try and remember it is normal to vomit and everyone does it and when it actually comes up it only takes a few seconds. good luck and btw did u fear before getting this flu??

Old 03-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

hannah_15 HB User

Hey.. WOW threw up for 2 weeks what did u have?? I didnt become Emetophbic until this last year when i had a really bad stomach flu...

Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User

I became afraid of vomitting when I was about 10 after a bad case of the stomach flu in which is I injured my insides by vomitting bile for a few days. Not a pleasant experience!

Like wife&mom, I also taught myself not to vomit and managed to not throw up again until I was 20 (I lost my record after a rough night of drinking). I still hate throwing up and the last time I had a stomach flu, the anxiety and fear of vomitting was worse than the flu symptoms themselves! However, I constantly remind myself of how much better I feel after vomitting, and it soothes the situation.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

i had the flu when i threw up for 2 weeks but i guess i should explain that i shouldve only been vomiting for about 5 days the rest was mental and i think i had dry heaved and vomited so much ( approx 50x every 24 hrs)that i had temp damaged the gag reflex in my throat so i was feeling the urge all the time until i would give in and heave. i ate not 1 single thing for 2 weeks and lost 20 lbs until dh said this is enough and took me to emerg. it was the worse thing in my life!! specially for someone with this fear already!! ive had the flu shot every yr since even though its not suppose to stop the stomach flu ive been safe so far. but since then and it got really bad last yr about food i wouldnt eat out at fast food places anymore and wouldnt eat leftovers ect ect to the point where i would shake at night with the fear i maybe sick that night! as a kid i threw up all the time, im so careful with my kids and food and germs. in the end the doc gave me meds for ocd cause thats all i would think about but the meds helped me so much!!!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User

I have to admit that I'm relieved to know I'm not the only person with this fear! I truly thought I was. I'll do just about anything to keep from throwing up. And I certainly didn't know there's a name for it. All I can say is: evidently it's more common than I thought and we just have to do the best we can and find comfort in each other. We can share suggestions and support each other. I have found that a cold cloth on the back of my neck helps a great deal and taking about 10 deep breaths.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
(female)

hannah_15 HB User
Cool Re: Emetophobia- afriad of being sick.. and throwing up

Hey,
You Are defintly not the only one with this fear . I didnt come emetophobic until last year when i had the stomach flu really bad... After that it was in my head so bad that i would shake and feel like throwing up and tellijng myself ur sick ur gonna throw up even when iwasnt really sick i just told myself i was.. Im hoping it gets better .. Thanx For evey1 for sharing there thoguhts.....

Old 03-12-2005, 05:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I've been like that since I was a child! I am 46 and still fear it - although I haven't thrown up since 1969!!!! Sure I've gotten nauseated, but just never throw up. I don't know what caused it, I can't pinpoint any point in time that I was traumatized by it happening or by seeing it happen from anyone else. I read about "Post traumatic stress syndrom" and that used to be how I'd get about throwing up!! I am not quite that bad anymore, but sill pretty bad! I used to say that if someone told me, "You have to throw up or die", that I SERIOUSLY would have to give it thought!!

Old 03-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
(female)

hannah_15 HB User

Thats Really long to be Emetophobic.Im Still Learning to get over it it will take time but im sure i can do it

Old 03-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
(female)

Sugar64 HB User

It's amazing how many people have this phobia, and it's very real. I was reading online about it, and learned that true emetophobics never actually even vomit...see how many people say they haven't vomited for years? I'm the same way. I've had this phobia since I was a child, and I haven't actaually vomited for the past 24 years. I had dry heaves once when I was pregnant, and then again after waking up from a surgery I had, but that was it. My daughter has this same phobia herself, and I never even told her about mine, so I don't know if it's inherited or what.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #13
(female)

hannah_15 HB User

hello,
I think most people devolpe This phobia after they have been very sick like me. Im only 15 and i have come self conscince to throw up and it scares me to think about it but i think it will go away after the flu season is over im am very aware of the flu.I Just want to thank again the people who share there stories with me thanx i aprriciate it

Old 03-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I have a bit of a theory and I hope that some others who already visited this thread will see this and answer, if not, I'm going to start a new one because I am so curious to know if my theory is correct! First I have to preface this by saying that I read that if you take apple cider vinegar a half hour before going to a restaurant you can possibly prevent food poisoning because all that acid will kill the bacteria... ok, now here goes - If any of you people suffer from GERD or excess acid - do you end up getting stomach things a LOT less than others? I had often wondered why some people get stomach bugs every year and food poisoning, etc, and others like myself don't seem to ever get that.. I have a lot of excess acid, so does my dad and my husband (they NEVER get stomach bugs, etc either), but people who never complain about heartburn and the like, seem to GET these bugs... So what's your ideas on this?
And think about all the little kids that get them... have you ever heard an 8 year old say, "I really have heartburn!" LOL!

Last edited by Sunlover; 03-12-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #15
(female)

hannah_15 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Emetophobia- afriad of being sick.. and throwing up

I Have heard that if u do the vinegar thing it would possibly help food poisning. .?

Closed Thread