It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
(male)

tylera HB User
GAD / agrophobia

Hi, im almost 21 and i am in college leading what i thought was a normal life. I had never had any problems, but earlier in life a doctor said i might have GERD because i had the sensation of a lump in my throat but the meds never worked. Recently i had been getting nervous riding in cars and going places but I ignored it. Now it is really bad and i almost totally avoid driving, and if i ride in a car i get super nauseated and freak out. I got diagnosed with GAD and i was prescribed Zoloft and for a more instant relief Vistaril. This is really depressing me and I dont know how to handle this. I am almost afraid to leave my room and I couldnt drive home for break to see my parents because i was so terrified of getting sick on the way home. If anyone else has advice, or something positive please talk to me. I feel pretty discouraged and like this is not gonna go away but get worse.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: GAD / agrophobia

the meds should help, car problems like you mention are very common for anxiety sufferers

GERD is a type of infigestion, the lump in throat is usually from anxiety, the meds should help
the zoloft can take several weeks to work properly and the dose may need upping
you also need to learn relaxation and CBT skills, read anything about overcoming agoraphobia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread