It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Panic Attacks due to Phobias, not Panic Disorder?

I was just wondering if anybody else has "panic attacks due to specific phobias"? I know I don't have full-blown panic disorder because I KNOW what will trigger a panic attack- in fact if an event is happening the next day that I'm freaked out about, I know I'll have a panic attack. I know, too, that I have actual panic attacks and not just normal symptoms of nervousness; when I'm waiting, going to the dentist, or taking a test, I'll experience racing heart, mild hyperventilation, really bad stomach cramps, a smothering/choking sensation in my throat, freezing cold hands, a flushed face and (if it's an incredibly stressful situation- AKA the dentist) shaking/tingling hands and legs. Also, I've been on Zoloft for two years now, and it does absolutely nothing for my panic attacks, though it helps immensely for my OCD. I've had panic attacks since I was three, as far back as I can remember, and though I'd much rather deal with them than OCD (in fact, in certain situations, I don't know how I'd react without having a panic attack), I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same situation as me.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 03-28-2005 at 07:48 PM.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Panic Attacks due to Phobias, not Panic Disorder?

you can have panic attacks from all the things you mention, maybe better swapping to another antidepressant

also learn CBT coping skills and dont just rely on meds

next time you get a panic attack, try to relax and breathe deep and slow, it will help a lot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
(female)

xsweetsugarx HB User

Yes! of course you can have panic attacks due to phobias. In fact, phobias may begin with a generalized anxiety attack and then the anxiety becomes directed on the exact object or situation that you are phobic towards. Thus, making it a phobia.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Gatsbyluvr, I have panic and anxiety as a result of my phobia. Have you ever tried a tranquilizer type drug? it has helped immensely. Anti-depressants did nothing for me either for panic, but benzos are wonderful.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

buzzkill HB User

I do- birds, only when they get too close or I feel that I can not get away fast enough. The type of panic attack where I can not breathe, feels like a heart attack I guess. Doc says it is due to my fear of them mechanical looking creatures....It does sound weird I know. It does not happen when I am outside gardening and they may be thousands of feet up flying about.
But close to me. Looking at me....

Last edited by buzzkill; 01-19-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
I was just wondering if anybody else has "panic attacks due to specific phobias"? I know I don't have full-blown panic disorder because I KNOW what will trigger a panic attack- in fact if an event is happening the next day that I'm freaked out about, I know I'll have a panic attack. I know, too, that I have actual panic attacks and not just normal symptoms of nervousness; when I'm waiting, going to the dentist, or taking a test, I'll experience racing heart, mild hyperventilation, really bad stomach cramps, a smothering/choking sensation in my throat, freezing cold hands, a flushed face and (if it's an incredibly stressful situation- AKA the dentist) shaking/tingling hands and legs. Also, I've been on Zoloft for two years now, and it does absolutely nothing for my panic attacks, though it helps immensely for my OCD. I've had panic attacks since I was three, as far back as I can remember, and though I'd much rather deal with them than OCD (in fact, in certain situations, I don't know how I'd react without having a panic attack), I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same situation as me.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
I am in a very similar situation as you are. I don't feel that I have panic disorder because my panic is VERY specific...I know exactly what I will react to and when with very little deviation from that.

In my case and in yours, I happen to think that it is probably phobia related. The term for this would then be Agoraphobia which literally means, 'fear of the marketplace'. It encompasses a general feeling of anxiety and panic whenever we are threatened with the thought of having to go to public places or being in situations where we have once experienced a tremendous amount of anxiety in the past. It also emcompasses a fear of being in places that an exit from isn't easily obtained without feeling embarassed or humiliated. Any of this sound familiar to you?

You mention that you have a lot of anxiety about going to the dentist, which almost everyone has at least a little bit of anxiety about. However, if the feelings and fear are so bad that you may actually have a panic attack in there or avoid going, then this is a phobia.

Since Zoloft isn't working, I would suggest one or both of the following if you haven't already. First, have you tried Effexor? It is slightly different from Zoloft in that it may help control anxiety better. Second, have you tried seeing a Psychologist? They may provide a solution that doesn't involve medication like coping skills, how to deal with panic attacks, and (maybe most importantly) give you a sense of hope.

Last edited by CFD 333; 01-19-2006 at 11:45 AM.

Old 02-04-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
(female)

jjules HB User

Gosh I read this and never really considered that they could be seperate from each other I kinda thought they went hand in hand. Me personally I think alot of my phobias bring on my panic attacks. Hey Gatsby if that Zoloft isn't working for u I hope u r trying something else by now since this was posted quite some time ago. The Lexapro & the Lorazapam has helped me soooo much. I only take Lorazapam as needed. Hope u r well. Jules

Old 02-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
(female)

tnt808 HB User

I am a sufferer of panic/anxiety due to my phobia. It is a fear of travel, either by plane/boat/and occasionally car. It is debilitating, I have read other posts with same fears but mine seems to be way more out of control. I literally will not get on a plane and, I am faced with it in June since I live in Hawaii and hubby is in military we are due to transfer. I do not think I will be able to fly. Therefore, I will be ruining our lives because my husband will be kicked out! It is so overwhelming. I feel so alone, and there seems to be no end in sight.
Good luck to you,
Tina

Old 02-19-2006, 04:30 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

I have emetophobia, which is a fear of vomiting. Lots of little fears come from that - boats, car rides, eating out, going out to pubs/clubs... The list could go on.

It's really hard but I'm working to get over it! I also have chronic GAD and it makes it all so much worse

Old 02-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
(female)

desertRose17 HB User

I too have emetophobia, which in my opinion is the worst phobia ever especially if it's as bad as mine. recently mine has become a 24 hour obsession (afraid 24 hours a day for no reason) i'm even starting to be afraid of eating, since my phobia got worse i lost so much weight and eating out is an impossibility. so you can imagine how hard it is.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I think this was one of my first posts ever on here, so yeah, this was quite awhile ago! lol! I switched to Prozac after being on 250 mg of Zoloft this past fall. Also, I started on 100 mg of Lamictal, a mood stabilizer, because both my psychiatrist, PCP, and I suspect possible cyclothymia. Whether or not I have cyclothymia, the Lamictal really works for my mood swings- they might be related to my mild Asperger's, though, too. The psychiatrist here at my college also gave me Klonopin; I have 0.5 mg for extremely bad days- I used to take it everyday, but I couldn't stay awake. I have 0.125 mg to take daily, but I don't take it a lot either unless absolutely necessary because it, too, makes me sooo tired, in addition to the Prozac and Lamictal, which also cause fatigue. However, the Klonopin has proven to be a Godsend. I was prescribed it only three weeks before I had to go to the dentist in October, and I used it for the first time, and it was wonderful! I went from being barely able to function in the waiting room to just having a normal, everyday panic attack. Next time I go, I'm taking two 0.5 mg, but at any rate, the Klonopin has been the only thing in all of my 18 years that has gotten rid of panic attacks. I'm also currently in CBT for my OCD, and it seems to be helping me. Thanks for all the concern and responses! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 02-20-2006 at 03:31 AM.

Closed Thread