It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
(male)

Exodus HB User
Question Dealing with Agoraphobia

I've read through a lot of the post here and I didn't catch any people with agoraphobia. I was wondering as to the prevalence of chronic agoraphobia and whether anyone on the board is currently dealing with it. I'd be curious to hear your stories and how you've managed to deal with it over time.

I'm 25 and I've had GAD/PD/ for 9 years, Agoraphobia for 7. I've been seeing a physchiatrist for the last 5 years. I'm currently on 3mg Xanax (which doens't seem to work anymore but if I stop it I become full blown catatonic) and Lamictal 100mg. I've tried just about every antidepressant known to man with little success. I'm considering going back on Dexadrine.

.............just wondering if I was alone or if the severity of my condition is rare-I haven't been able to work in 5 years.

thx
mike

Old 05-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User
Re: Dealing with Agoraphobia

Hi Mike- I was recently diagnosed with GAD/PD and Agoraphobia.
I knew I had it but just about a month ago went for help.
Agoraphobia runs on both sides of my family!My Mother and a sister had it and my Grandmother on my fathers side was house bound and never drove a car a day in her life.
I always had a "mild" case of this but it didn't get bad until I had kids.
I became so worried the further I got my home that I couldn't protect them and felt out of control. I do leave my house but have a horrible time even going to the next town and won't drive myself.
Going to therapy is helping mostly in that he is telling me I am not alone, he see's this all the time.
I just started Lexapro about a month ago and boy does it help me. I also take Buspar and Inderal because My Heart beats too fast and can't recover from fight or flight mode.
Dr. Told me Lexapro helps control "obsessive thinking" which is what keeps us stuck and afraid. I have yet to venture out on the highway but my day to day living is much calmer. I am taking it one day at a time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
(female)

LostMind HB User

You are not alone.
I to suffer from GAD/ PTST,SAD and PD .When PD peaks, ( its not yet under control)which it is right now. I find myself fearing the places I get attacks or just fearing another attack anywhere period etc...I think thats the cycle that begins agoraphobia for me anyways. If I cant get my PD under control I could see me slipping into agoraphobia. Agoraphobia is new to me and I see my doctor this week. I take xanax and buspar and without the xanax I'd never be able to go anywhere and lately I cant even stay at work all day. I get there but panic hits and I got to go. SO I cant say I know how you feel but I can say I think your not alone.
HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 05-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User

Ive been avoiding going out for months now...i just go to work and home. I was originally on paxil, after the cr was recalled i had a relapse when switching meds. Now im starting zoloft, and the xanax has calmed me to where i started going out again, movies, and the mall to start. so its looking up i hope

Best wishes all

"An obstacle is just a stepping stone"

Old 05-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
(male)

allen_dave HB User

Exodus, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a severe case of anxiety and agoraphobia!

I've been dealing with this crap for some 35 years, and like yourself, nothing really works very well. I have also been unable to work for over four years. I don't think SSRIs help much for people like you and I. We keep looking for answers, but at this point in my life, I don't think there are any answers.

I'm curious about dexadrine. It's a stimulant. Why would you take dexadrine for anxiety and agoraphobia?

Last edited by allen_dave; 05-15-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Old 05-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
(female)

mae_mae HB User

i am 19...and i've had panic attacks for 3 years now. the agoraphobia just started recently to where i am scared to go into crowded places like stores or malls i freak out....i dont like driving long distances alone or with ppl....i take xanax on an as needed basis for my attacks...and it works most of the time. but yeah agoraphobia sucks...but i force myself to go places...i dont want to be a prisoner in my home..so i've been trying my hardest to work with this and you should to...fight this thing

Old 05-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

welcome exodus
there are lots of agoraphobia sufferers at the panic disorders board, the 2 names now mean the same thing

Old 05-16-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus
I've read through a lot of the post here and I didn't catch any people with agoraphobia. I was wondering as to the prevalence of chronic agoraphobia and whether anyone on the board is currently dealing with it. I'd be curious to hear your stories and how you've managed to deal with it over time.

I'm 25 and I've had GAD/PD/ for 9 years, Agoraphobia for 7. I've been seeing a physchiatrist for the last 5 years. I'm currently on 3mg Xanax (which doens't seem to work anymore but if I stop it I become full blown catatonic) and Lamictal 100mg. I've tried just about every antidepressant known to man with little success. I'm considering going back on Dexadrine.

.............just wondering if I was alone or if the severity of my condition is rare-I haven't been able to work in 5 years.

thx
mike
How do you guys get by without working? I don't have agoraphobia as severe as that, but I do call in sick a lot and get panic attacks at work, have to leave early or take a ton of Xanax just to get through my day. I know running away isn't the answer, but sometimes I think if I could get away from the stress of my job while i recover it might be helpful. I just don't feel like I can recover while I am working full time. For me, the feeling of being stuck or HAVING to do something makes my anxiety worse, and work is a must for most people. Just curious about how you get by without working.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
(female)

sm9700 HB User

My fiance has had agoraphobia for 6 years now. It was to the point that he wouldnt leave his house even to walk down the street. as time went on after about 4 years he started going a few blocks more every week or so. But he still only would go when he really felt good and at times it still bothered him. Just this pass weekend he decided he wanted to go to Delaware ( we live in Pa) and he went, it was like 2 am and he just decided to go. He has never been put on meds for it and now I am wondering if its worth him getting on them. Because you never know when its going to come back. I dont know how it feels, I have never gone through panic attacks or Agoraphobia. But I know tons of people that have and they have all been on meds. suggestions??

Closed Thread