It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #1

KStorts HB User
agorophobia (sp?) ...anyone know anything about this?

Okay, So I started seeing a counselor today and he really jumped right in...well, He seems to think I might have agorophobia, does anyone else have this? Does it go away? Also, he want to do hypnotism because he thinks that I dissasociate and he thinks it will help me. My fear is that if while I am under hypnosis, if he discovers that I was abused by my dad, he has to, and will, report it. This freaks me out because this would completely tear my family apart. What do I do? I mean, he said i have control over what I want to remember and he will only help me remember what I want to remember, and because I do not want to turn my dad in if he did this, I would probably chose to not remember it.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Would you mind sharing your experience with me? It sorta freaks me out. I am afraid of what I might find out, and the idea that someone has control over my mind scares me too, I mean, what if I share things with him that I do not want him to know??

Can anyone share their thoughts?

Old 05-25-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
(female)

bjm32 HB User
Re: agorophobia (sp?) ...anyone know anything about this?

I don't know that much about Agoraphobia, but I know that when I'm depressed I'm afraid to leave my house and try to avoid social situations.

I was abused as a child and chose to block those memories and I got by this way for 20yrs. It wasn't until 2yrs ago that it started to hit me and now I'm in therapy. I saw one therapist who tried cognitive behavioral therapy with me, and when I would remember something she always said, I didn't have to talk about it if I didn't want too. I did want to talk but since she gave me that choice of course I decided to not talk. That kind of therapy didn't work for me but it does help alot of people. I have a new therapist now and we are starting "de-sensitizing" therapy. I get to choose what I want to talk about, etc.. He will help me to not be so traumatized by these memories that are coming back. He also told me that I should never be hypnotized because I have awful flashbacks and said hypnotism would be too much for me. I'm not saying your therapist is wrong, just sharing what I'm going through.

Is it because of your age that you think your therapist will report your dad? Usually they keep things confidential. I understand your fear about your family finding out because my family doesn't know anything about what happened to me as a child. Right now, I'm not at a place where I would want them to know. I hope someday I can tell them, just so that SOB doesn't get away with what he did. I know regardless of whether I tell or not, he will pay someday. I would be afraid too to have someone else in control of your mind, you could remember something that you are not ready to handle. I know for me, recently I remembered the first time I was abused in great detail, and it's been almost 2 weeks of constant flashbacks, and I can't seem to think of anything else, especially when I'm alone. This memory was just too much at once for me. I somehow just remembered it, it wasn't brought up in therapy or anything, it just happened.

I hope this helps a bit and that you get what you need for help. It's an awful thing to have gone through, and I hope things start improving for you. ~Bunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
(female)

SojiOkita HB User

Well Bunny, I know that agoraphobia is a fear of going outside, these people generally feel safer in their own homes, and sometimes refuse to even leave them. I suppose it can go away but I can't really say for sure, sorry. I do know that even though you don't want anything to happen to your father I think in your mind you'd be safer if someone knew, but I cannot be inside your head, but you know, if your counselor does find out, you may be able to receive family counseling and no one would tear apart your family. My father used to get abusive with me and my sister and I wish I had said something now because sometimes I feel it may have saved my family. But everyone is different and I cannot be totally sure. I also know that if you don't feel comfortable with hypnotism you do not have to let your counselor do it, there are other ways they can help you. I hope this helped a little bit, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, and I'm sorry that this has happened to you.
~Soji

Last edited by SojiOkita; 05-25-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #4

KStorts HB User

Thank you both so much for your replies.

There was abuse in my home growing up (physical, emotional, sexual), I am now 25 and married with 2 children. I guess he would need to repot it because there is not statute of limitations anymore on abuse, so, even though I am an adult it wouldn't matter. I guess I really need to find out what happens AFTER he is reported, what does it mean when they report it, will he even find out, or would I actually need to press charges?

I honestly don't even know if I was molested. I have one odd memory that leaves me wondering, but that's it. So, I guess since I have been thinking about it for a couple days I am not as afraid to go for the hypnotherapy thing. I am not really sure if I will ever dig it all up without it, and I think I need to dig it up to get it out.

As far as the agoraphobia goes, it sounds like such a serious condition based on the name, but if I do have it, I would say it is very very mild, adn I am working very hard on it. I DO usually only go places if I have a 'safe person' with me, but I always assumed I was co-dependant, not agoraphobic. Not really sure what the difference is...I think there is much more to being co-dependant. I don'tlike flip out in public or anything, I just get really uncomfortable around people when I am alone, it really stresses me out to the point where I prefer to have someone with me...I don't know exactly why I need to have someone with me, I mean, I have noidea what I am afraid of...

Oh well...hopefully I will get this all figured out. Thanks again for responding, I appreciate it!

Closed Thread