It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

Christine88 HB User
Exclamation Anxiety about my phobia throwing up- emetophobia, PLEASE help!

Hey, well first my name is Christine and I am 13 years old. I have the phobia of throwing up and it is controlling my life! I am DEATHLY afraid of it. I am going to a wedding this weekend with my dad and am terrified! I sieriesly do not know what to d and keep on flashbacks of when i threw up awhile ago ( I usually now force myself not to throw up) My counselor (well at this moment I have only had 1 counseling session but am choosing between which counselor I want) says that I have anxiety about this and thought it would fit in this section. I really need to do something because all I can do is cry and I just make myself feel like throwing up from worrying so much. Anyways, anyone out there with the same thing like me? I just joined these boards so sorry if anyone posting this like before.. but did anyone else have a phobia that they have overcome? {REMOVED} Well, thanks everyone, please reply!

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-25-2005 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Please don't post commerical website addresses. Thanks, ms_mod

Old 05-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User
Talking Re: Anxiety about my phobia throwing up- emetophobia, PLEASE help!

Hi Christine - yes, i have this phobia and so do a lot of other people on these boards. Mine started when I was about 11, and now I am 26. I get really nervous if I feel the least bit sick, or if i have to go somewhere after I've eaten. Since you have a big event coming up (wedding), I have a few suggestions that might help. First, does your dad already know about your phobia? I felt TONS better after I told my parents about my problem. I was so worried that they were going to think i was weird because I acted so strange, but once I told them the truth, they were so comforting and let me know that if I needed to leave when we were out somewhere I could, and they wouldn't think anything of it. Just knowing I am trapped in a situation is sometimes the thing that makes me panic the worst. i am terrified of throwing up in front of people. So, if you haven't already, tell your dad, and just let him know that you may need to "take a break" - go out to your car, get some air, etc - just calm yourself down. Second, having a really minty gum or mints helps me a ton - I chew Dentyne Ice Arctic Chill like its going out of style. if I start feeling nervous or nauseous it realy helps.

Second (I don't know if this will help for you but it helps me) don't eat anything big before you go to the wedding. Maybe eat a piece of fruit or a nutrition bar 2 hours before or so, but i know when my stomach is empty I am much less worried about throwing up and I usually feel better because I am kinda hungry.

Also, it helps me to remember that throwing up isn't a common occurrence for otherwise healthy people. Your body isn't going to make you randomly throw up unless you have the stomach flu or have drank too much or something, so just remember, if you are otherwise healthy there is no reason your body will make you throw up. Our minds can make us freak out, just remember it is in your head and you have the power to calm yourself down. It helps me to get mad - I tell myself NO! I am not going to let you stupid phobia ruin my day!! Kinda stupid, but helps.

I hope this helps - and good to hear you are seeing a counselor early to nip this in the butt. I wish I woudl have done the same. i went years thinking i was a weirdo Good luck, you'll be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
(female)

daftthing HB User
Re: Anxiety about my phobia throwing up- emetophobia, PLEASE help!

My best friend suffers with emetophobia .... I'm not sure if she posts on these boards, but I'll give her the link and hint at her to reply

Old 05-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

Hi christine
I agree about not eating before the wedding, also a dose of any valium type med would help a lot by calming both your mind and body, lots of info re emetophobia, also called fear of vomiting, on the net.

some with your problem are helped by carrying an airline airsick bag with them whenever out

Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #5
(female)

Christine88 HB User

Thank you so much for yur help everyone! I feel a lot better. My dad doesn't know, just my mom (my parents are divorced) I felt so much better after I told my mom, so now I'm thinking of telling my dad also. I'll go on the website and check it out, thnk yo uso much again. About the airsick bag, its not really like what Im going to do if i throwup, its im scared of throwing up because I hate the feeling before and during..I dunno, Everything will probably be OK though.. I'm jsut feeling sick now though from worrying so much about it!

Old 05-28-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
(female)

taximom HB User

noone likes that feeling when you throw up. you are not alone. nausea is a really ugly feeling. lots a even deep breaths might help you. yes talk to your dad too. I would be very upset if I knew my daughter had a fear and she didnt confide in me. I would be heartbroken to know that she kept that from me and that I would want to help her.
hang in their hon, keep talking about it to us. we are all hear to listen (your mom and dad too) and try to help you through this.

Closed Thread