It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 03:36 AM   #1
(female)

sobs HB User
Question What are your phobias? Is this OCD?

Can anyone tell me if phobias are part of OCD, or are they under another topic/illness???? If there is another board for Phobias, I couldn't find it. I've seen shows on OCD, where many phobias are mentioned.

1. My main phobia right now is claustrophobia.

Then these, not necessarily in any order........

2. germs anything that has been touched by someone else, like mail, food, remote control.......have to wash my clothes at least twice, sometimes more, doctor's waiting rooms, crowds, grocery stores, Wal-mart like stores...too many people, too many germs, bowling shoes - egad, thankfully I don't/can't bowl anymore

3. arachnaphobia fear of spiders. Has gotten better since I got mad at them for intruding into my life and paralyzing me.

4. bridges - gephyrophobia.........crossing them

5. vomiting - emetophobia.......deathly afraid of vomiting, can't breathe when I do.

6. being buried alive - taphephobia.....somehow I think this is pretty normal, and also has a lot to do with my claustrophobia.

7. heat or getting hot - thermophobia.......room temp always needs to be at least 65.......60 or less would be nice.

8. contamination - mysophobia......I think this is probably like germaphobia in a way, except you get the "transfer" contamination thing going on. Like if you pick up something dirty, then touch something else....

9. filth - rupophobia.......mostly unclean house

10. smothering - pnigerophobia...........afraid that I can't breathe

11. being touched - haphephobia...........this one goes back to germs, contamination. BUT, I am not afraid to be touched by animals!!! I also do not like to touch other people.

12. flying - don't know the medical term for this - it is mostly about claustrophia, not being able to breathe, and of course 9/11

13. foreigners - xenophobia..........mostly only Arabs/muslims...VERY long story that began for me before 9/11

I think that's it for now. Lucky 13. I'm sure another one will pop up before long. Don't they always?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
(female)

vonee HB User
Re: What are your phobias? Is this OCD?

mine is dirt. I can't stand dirt, like a dirty house, dirty clothes...ect......bacteria

Old 06-06-2005, 04:18 AM   #3
(female)

vonee HB User
Question Re: What are your phobias? Is this OCD?

I watched the "Aviator" the other night. Very interesting story about Howard Hughes and his phobias. Have you seen the movie?

Old 06-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
(male)

yfguitarist HB User

emetophobia is mine!

Old 06-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #5

StephK282 HB User

I definately have a fear of crossing bridges, tight spaces, not being able to breathe (HUGE ONE), and I don't like ANYONE to touch me.

In addition to those, I have a fear or heights, sharks, falling down the stairs, having crap on the back of my pants or stuff around my mouth and not knowing about it, ghosts...and other stuff.

Yeah, I know most of that stuff is pretty common, but my mind takes them to the absolute extreme

Old 06-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
(female)

dwightbean HB User

i used to be afraid of a lot of things.

there's nothing like a good year of depression to make me just not care anymore. heh.

i used to be incredibly scared of flying. at one point, however, -- despite still believing the plane would crash-- i just didn't care if i died or not.

at this point, i just don't think about it much anymore. it feels good.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bbybyrd HB User

I have a lot of phobias too. I'm claustrophobic, afraid of flying, clowns (childhood trauma), bridges, toilets, I don't like being touched, afraid of spiders (actually I'm afraid of anything that crawls..lol).

Old 06-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
(female)

LDR HB User

I am new to therapy, and I am desperate to find a way to get over this. I am Nyctophobic- scared of the dark. I am not really scared of someone breaking into the house. I am scared of what is in the dark. Images from tv or movies stay in my mind and haunt me. I can try to think happy thoughts at night, but those thoughts usually turn into somethig greusome. I feel so vulnerable. I sleep with the closet light on, and I am married. My husband understands, but I feel like a freak. Sometimes I have panc attacks, sometimes I just cry. I am trying to write in a journal and use relaxation exersizes, so that when I do feal this way I can try to get my brain to a happy place. I am scared and hopeless. I pray and pray and I just feel like I am alone.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
(female)

MSELL HB User

I must shed some light on the fear of public speaking, though I can't remember the technical term for it. I'm scared to the point that I probably need professional help.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:43 AM   #10
(female)

ggiggi HB User

I have several - agoraphobia and a fear of germs and contamination. (Like you, my pets (cats) are exempt from this phobia)

The irony of this is that due to my illness, we lost our CLEAN and modern home and my husband and I had to move in with his grandfather, who lives in the most filthy disgusting and cluttered house you can imagine. I'm supposed to be greatful to have a roof over my head, but I'm too disgusted to be grateful.

When we first came here, I didn't eat for two entire months until I could borrow the money to have someone come in and clean the kitchen.

The bathroom was so disgusting that I gagged every single time I entered it. I would have to work myself up to be able use it and inevitably had a panic attack several times a day. I finally had the grimy rubber toilet seat (don't ask) replaced and that helped a little, but the tub is so grimy it needs to be totally replaced and the water that comes out of the faucets is filthy - not just rusty, but dirty as well.

Every time I take a bath, I have to take a Xanax first.

This grandfather has over half a mil in the bank, but hasn't done a home repair in 20 years or so. The most he'll do is duck tape something if it stops working. He gives new meaning to the word "cheap" and is mystified as to why I don't like his house. He brags about being a millionaire but lives like a bum!

I guess there is a theory that the universe put me in this disgusting position so that I could learn to deal with the germ phobia, but instead of helping, it's just made it worse. I live in constant panic and have not had one comfortable moment in the year I've lived here.

Because of my contamination issues (and chronic pain) I can't clean the place, which I'm sure makes me seem even more bizarre. Just touching anything grosses me out.

I spend several hours a day washing my hands and checking the stove and heater and stuff for fires; locks for break-ins (always convinced I'll be the victim of a horrendous murder).

Thanks for letting me vent - good topic.
gigi

Old 06-21-2005, 12:49 AM   #11
(female)

zak7 HB User

Sound like you have OCD and other phobias. Unfortunately, once you have one disorder, you usually have another. I would probably guess, too, that you suffer from major depression as well, and even possibly an anxiety disorder such as social anxiety disorder or generalized anxiety disorder.

I have OCD, Body Dysmorphic Disorder and Major Depression.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

My one biggest phobia is somewhat related to OCD, although I didn't realize this until recently. I'm positively terrified of the dentist, despite having the sweetest, kindest dentist ever. The mere thought of the dentist evokes fear in me, and it's so bad, that I can't watch a TV program where the character goes to the dentist or even look at a picture of a tooth in an anatomy book. I have never had a cavity (simply saying it makes me worry that my fear will come true), and every time I feel some pain in my mouth, I press down on my molars to make sure that they aren't the cause of the pain and that I don't have a cavity. The checking is truly a manifestation of OCD- obsession: "Do I have a cavity?" compulsion: check teeth to reassure self. I will literally do this all day until I find the source of the pain (such as an ulcer or an upcoming cold), but most likely, I will continue pushing down on my teeth until the pain stops in a few days. Believe it or not, I did this all last night because my one ear was partially closed up and I had an ulcer at the back of my mouth. If this isn't a solid example of where a phobia is fueled by Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, I don't know what is! Oh, I almost forgot! I have triskadekaphobia- the fear of the number 13 and Friday the 13th! This also relates to my OCD- I hate having 13 of something or having an exam marked number 13 because I'm afraid something bad will happen. This relates back to superstitious and magical thinking of OCD.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 06-28-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #13
(female)

NMOR1234 HB User

Does anybody have this obsession and compulsion? My hair has to be exactly even on both sides. If I think it isn't, I keep thinking about it and also trim constantly to make it even. This may not sound like much, but I can spend hours doing this and make my self physically ill.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #14
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User

I am defenetly claustrophobic.

Is there a phobia about your health??? I know I am a hypochondriac to some degree.

Oh, and I HATE cockroaches! Had a very bad experience with a cockroach crawling in my ear. Is there a phobia for that???

Last edited by AngelOfLight82; 07-06-2005 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Adding to post!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #15
(female)

littlemiss1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR
I am new to therapy, and I am desperate to find a way to get over this. I am Nyctophobic- scared of the dark. I am not really scared of someone breaking into the house. I am scared of what is in the dark. Images from tv or movies stay in my mind and haunt me. I can try to think happy thoughts at night, but those thoughts usually turn into somethig greusome. I feel so vulnerable. I sleep with the closet light on, and I am married. My husband understands, but I feel like a freak. Sometimes I have panc attacks, sometimes I just cry. I am trying to write in a journal and use relaxation exersizes, so that when I do feal this way I can try to get my brain to a happy place. I am scared and hopeless. I pray and pray and I just feel like I am alone.
OMG I can relate to you I have the same thing. what you have discribed above is me to a tee.I have to sleep with the tv on for light and some noise but not to loud so if someone does try to break in I can hear them.I check my doors and windows many times a night.mine came from childhood trama.The movie thing I can't watch movies that are blood and gore cause I have nightmares and i feel like they are after me.I have a bf for 2 1/2 years and he is verry understanding and supportive of me but I feel that cause of these fears I won't let him get that close to me.I would like to talk to you more about this. now I don't feel alone or that it is me just going crazy.

Closed Thread