It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #1

abcdabcd HB User
jobs for people with agrophobia

I've quit my 4th job in 1 year I can't work around people.

I tried to apply at the toll booth place, but they won't call me back.

I tried to apply for a parking attendant but all those jobs are full.

I need to find a place to work, where i'm alone. I know you're not supposed to run from your anxiety/agrophobia, but I have to have a place to live.

I don't know where to work. I think I'm going to end up being homeless.

Medication doesn't help and therapy doesn't help me, I see a psychiatrist every month, I don't know if I should tell him that I quit my job since I think they might cancel my insurance and have to pay for my meds and psych visits.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
(female)

bocana HB User
Re: jobs for people with agrophobia

Try to start your own biz. For example housecleaning, landscaping, handyman stuff.
There are alot of people (not just those who suffer from anxiety and panic) who don't like working around others. If not into physical labor, maybe freelancing (use your computer skills). Try to use your imagination! God knows all of us who suffer from this has imagination in spades!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #3

abcdabcd HB User

i think i need to make an emerg. appointment with my psych, this is beyond "just working around people", I'm starting to think I'm psychotic, I think people are hearing my thoughts and are responding to them in cruel ways, so I don't know what's going to happen. I would be ok, if I was just alone, I mean I'd still hear all the thoughts, but atleast if nobody is around I can convince myself that it's just my thoughts and nobody's really saying anything. Housecleaning - people would be around, i'm not good with physical labor, computer skills- freelancing - i'm not that creative.

Old 06-21-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

bocana HB User

I'm sorry if I sounded so casual. I didn't get that it was more serious than basic anxiety from your initial post.
I think you're smart to get an appt. with your psych. Take care, you're doing the right thing!

Old 06-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #5

abcdabcd HB User

no, those are all good ideas that I've thought of, just not able to do them

Old 06-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran

Man Apart HB User

I suffer from severe agoraphobia for one of the most weirdest reasons. Nevertheless its crippled my ability to work in public and has limited how much time I can spend in public. Ive always been self-imployed and has worked for a car comany for the last 7-8 years detailing cars and doing maintainence work. Some nights Im out washing cars at 3 am. But its the only thing I can do and have been able to do to work and provide for myself. If I didnt have this Im sure I could find a simple computer related job, but other than that, Id have to apply for disability. Which is something I want to avoid. You have to try to adapt to your illness of focus on overcome some of the issues you have with working with others. That means you have to conceed to doing some of the things you wouldnt feel great doing but its available and better than nothing. Believe me I dont particularly enjoy scrubbing car rims 4 in the morning with a toothbrush but Im thankful for what I can do under the circumstances. But if you can try to deal with you issues of working in public and bring yourself to a manageable point where you can work around a few people, it would help and hopefully you can fully recover from that hang up.

Closed Thread