It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 05:12 AM   #1
(male)

westhills2 HB User
Question Social Anxiety/Phobia?

About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with social phobia. I hadn't ever really felt anxious growing up. I was popular, lived in a small town, had a great family and many friends. All that changed when I went to college. I then found myself in a large city surrounded by strangers. I just felt that everyone was judging me, looking at me, hating me, and that I didn't fit in anywhere I went and that no one wanted me around. I hated myself and everything I did. I had NO self esteem. I had hidden myself from the world and didn't want to be involved. When I was in public, I would shake, sweat, get nervous, feel like I couldn't talk. This was only made worse by the fact that I was in college taking many courses where class discussion and presentations were an every day event. In my case, kind of ironic becaue I am a Sociology major and hope to work in a social services field or education.

I went to a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with social anxiety. I took Paxil for around a year and felt much more like myself. I also participated in therapy with a phychologist. Both methods of treatment helped me.

I have been off medication now, I thought that I had recovered and could live without it and be myself again but I am afraid the problem is coming back. I feel my whole life closing in around me again and that I need help. I am just wondering if I should try Paxil again, or if I should try something else. What medications have other people tried and had success with? Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Paxilhead HB User
Re: Social Anxiety/Phobia?

Go back on the Paxil.........

Old 06-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the paxil should help again but a higher dose man be needed, this time learn new ways of relaxing and calming yourself
nobody is looking at you or passing judgement on you, wear sunglasses and look back at them

do a public speaking course, everyone is expected to be nervous a t first

Old 06-28-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
(female)

silentspirit987 HB User

Tracy,
I also had a hard time adjusting to college. I went away to college when I was 17 for a year, and then decided to go to a local community college and live at home after the first year. I am going away to college again in the Fall, so I am hoping that this time it will be better! I was on meds for a while but gained lots of weight so had to come off of them. I also tend to go with the theory that meds mearly mask the issue of anxiety, and that it will always be there when you come off of the meds. So I am trying to face my anxiety head on and deal with myself as I am, without any medication. The anxiety doesn't go away, but I am getting much better at coping with it and managing it. I can't really recommend any medication, but I know that many people have had great, life changing results with many different meds such as paxil, lexapro, topamax, and wellbutrin. Its all about what works for you, and what you feel is best for you at the time. I would try different meds until you feel as though you are getting the desired effects. But remember, no med is a super pill, and all come with side effects and downsides.

Closed Thread