It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User
do your phobias shift?

i was wondering if anyone on here with panic/anxiety disorder have phobias that shift over time.. or if anyone that didnt have a phobia before developed one because of the anxiety/panic...

the first one i had was puking i was so worried i was gonna yack when i felt anxious..

then it was driving i use to always get an attack as soon as i got in the car to go somewhere.. after a while it went away

then i started to have a phobia of getting sick or catching the flu.. i would be so careful to stay away from sick ppl and always had to wash my hands as soon as i got back home from shopping or being in public... again it passed after a while.. i mean i still do wash up after getting home or before i eat but i dont really think thats a bad thing or an obsession because i dont wash all the time for no reason..

then it was a fear that someone may have put something in my food/drink..
this one didnt really pass yet but it seems like i am able to talk myself out of it most of the time.. this one came from my stupid friends when i was a teen who use to talk about slipping something in to ppls drinks at a party.. i dont know why it stuck because i havent seen them in like 10 yrs..

i also have a fear of the ocean/lakes/ponds but i know where that came from for sure.. i watched jaws when i was a kid and it kinda stuck.. i actually dont mind this phobia because it never causes me any problem in my daily life..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
(female)

Derangea HB User
Re: do your phobias shift?

The only thing I've experienced is an off and on pattern I seem to have with food as well. Sometimes I can't stand the thought of eating food that has been touched by someone else. When I didn't think about it I was fine. But when I was anxious it was all that I could think about. It still pops up from time to time. ITs not the thought of germs that worries me. I just couldn't handle the fact that someone touched something that going to be entering my body, for me it was an equivalent of someone just sticking their fingers down my throat, it made me gag.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I have always had the fear of vomiting thing, and this fear is what causes me panic, but when I panic or feel sick in a certian place or situation (flying for example), I then become phobic about that situation. So for me, all phobias stem from the same one, but I am always getting new phobias because of the panic I experience in certain situations!!

Old 07-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tnmomofive HB User

here too every few years or so i end up with a new phobia.it passes im fine and usualy when the anxiety hits again it is some new phobia.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I can't say that mine have. I've basically had the same phobias and fears all of my life.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
(female)

Derangea HB User

I hear alot about this vommiting phobia. One thing I remember hearing from someone while I was inpatient is that the vommiting phobia is most likely to stem from a childhood experience of either being vommited on, or seeing someone right next to you vommiting without warning. Has something like that happened to any of you?

Old 07-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

well i do remember when i was a kid i puked up some tropical punch kool-aid and brownies.. some of it went through my nose and it sucked..alot! heh to this day i cant drink that flavor..lol but i dont think thats where my phobia of throwing up came from...

Old 07-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I visit an emetophobia site often and most people there can't attribute their fear to a particular incident, the only thing we have in common is that it has been a fear since childhood, as long as they can remember. I was just always more traumatized by it than other kids. At school when someone would puke everyone would say ew, go outside and play and forget about it, but I would run off and cry, have to call my mom to go home, and usually was too scared to go to school the next day. For the rest of the year I would avoid that person and watch them like a hawk to see if they appeared sick. But nothing traumatic ever happened to me, I'm just more sensitive about it than others for some reason.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Inactive

kasmpow HB User

My phobia has shifted from fainting in public to doctor phobia, I can't even take my dog to the vet feel so guilty about that. I don't know where this has come from I used to hate going to the doctor but went all the time this is in the last 5 years. I wish I could get over this I need to see a thearpist to deal with this problem.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjewell
I have always had the fear of vomiting thing, and this fear is what causes me panic, but when I panic or feel sick in a certian place or situation (flying for example), I then become phobic about that situation. So for me, all phobias stem from the same one, but I am always getting new phobias because of the panic I experience in certain situations!!
That's exactly what I'm like. The fear of vomiting causes you to have panic attacks in certain situations... Like I cannot stand boats, flying, long car rides... Don't like restaurants etc...

To Derangea, I've been thinking about that a lot and I can think of a lot of experiences which fit that description. I remember when I was younger a friend of mine vomited right in front of me and I ran in the house. Someone vomited on the school bus and I thought I was going to vomit. I remember a specific occasion where I was vomiting and it was extremely painful and I kept asking my mum "why me?" I also used to have panic attacks when I was younger and could only interpret them as "feeling sick" (this list could go on forever)

BUT... I think the main traumatic experience would be vomiting in front of my entire school class into a bin. In fact, the first panic attack I had in school I couldn't stop thinking "how can I get to the bin in time if I need to vomit?!"

Sorry that was so long LOL

Closed Thread