It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
(male)

hfd154 HB User
Agoraphobia Sufferers...I'm a new to this...help!!

Hello all! I noticed lately that most of my anxiety has to do with this. When I have to go far from my house(like 45minutes or more) this phobia really kicks in. I was just wondering what everyone else has done to overcome this phobia or how they controlled it? I get the fear of fainting thing cause i start to get lightheaded from overbreathing and then after being so tense my chest gets tight and i worry about having a hear attack. Even though i have never fainted and i'm 25 years old and have no heart problems. Just would like some helpful hints on coping with this. Thanks

Last edited by hfd154; 09-15-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
(female)

sarah5432 HB User
Re: Agoraphobia Sufferers...I'm a new to this...help!!

I don't consider myself Agoraphobic anymore but there was a time a few months back where I definitely was. I was also afraid of going far from home, even just down the street was hard for me. I had to take baby steps and with the help of Xanax I have overcome it for the most part. I still have anxiety and I still fear going far from home but I no longer let it stop me.

If I had to go far from home, my husband drove and I listened to my ipod and did breathing exercises during the drive. This helped a lot. In April we flew to Florida (from Michigan) and I was extremely nervous. I took a magazine and one of my self help books. I never touched the magazine but kept reading the self help book. I find the books to be very helpful along with breathing exercises. I find myself hyperventilating from time to time and I have to slow down my breathing. Its hard but I think I have better control of it now.

You just have to take baby steps to overcome this. I'm no expert when it comes to anxiety but this has helped me with the agoraphobia. Xanax has been a great help as well and there are times now where I can go someplace without needing it.

Just keep telling yourself that its just your anxiety, it can't and won't hurt or kill you. You won't have a heart attack and you won't pass out as long as you can control your breathing.
Something else that I do is I like to look around wherever I am and wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same things I am. For some reason, this helps me. I look at all kinds of people and wonder if they're having anxiety as well and whether or not they are, they look as though they're coping well so I know I can do it too.

hope this helped you a little at least!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
(male)

hfd154 HB User

That post was extremely helpful. Much appreciated. I usually have no problem if I go somewhere far but if I'm with someone that knows I have an anxiety problem. I know everytime I do a search about fainting and anxiety the search always shows up and it says that it nearly impossible to faint when you have anxiety. I also have another question for you. I feel kinda weird asking someone I barely know but that's how you gotta get through things. I have been dating somebody that I used to be friends with in the past. I think the other reason I'm having this phobia is that I'mn afraid to tell her because the last time we spoke I was fine and had no problem with anxiety. I have a fear of her laughing or me being completely embarassed. She always knew me as a "tough guy". I'm a fireman, enjoy doing guy stuff. I'm afraid to tell her cause she may think i'm weaker or something. And i'm sure this isn't helping my anxiety at all. Sorry for the long post. I just had to get this off my chest.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
(female)

sarah5432 HB User

Don't feel weird, thats what we're all here for. Honestly, I would be straightforward with her. Tell her that you have anxiety and if she's worth keeping, she'll understand and try to help you. I was afraid of admitting it to my husband when I first started getting anxiety and he's been nothing but helpful to me from the very beginning. If the person really cares about you they'll want to help you through it. Good luck!

P.S. Just becuase you have anxiety, doesn't make you any less of a man either. Don't let yourself think you're any less masculine because of it. Its just something some of us have to deal with whether we like it or not.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
(male)

kingam HB User

im a 28 year old guy, and at first i was VERY embarressed by it because i thought men were supposed to be stronger than to walk around in fear 24/7, but it is what it is... millions of people deal with this...

every woman i have told has said "oh, i get that sometimes"... of course they dont understand anxiety on a DISORDER level, but they do relate SOMEWHAT... i would tell her... you really have nothing to lose... it is what it is...

Old 09-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
(male)

hfd154 HB User

Thank you all for writing that. It helped alot. I went back to school this fall and have had panic attacks almost everyday in class or before class would start. I just got home from class and for the first time this fall I DIDN'T HAVE A PANIC ATTACK!!! It was nice to be in class and not shake and be dizzy the whole time. I kept thinking about what you guys wrote and got through it. I did notice that I have soreness on the back and top of my head. Is that part of the whole anxiety thing? It was nice to get the male and female perspective on this issue. I have one other question for you guys. When I'm out in the fire truck I worry that I couldn't "get away quick" if i needed to. I guess this is part of the agoraphobia thing? Thank you both for writing back. You guys have made this day much better for me.

Closed Thread