It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User
Agorophobia

Does anyone hear have, know someone who has/had or know anything about Agorophobia? Is Agorophobia anxiety related? How is it diagnosed and cured?

I would like to hear absaloutely anything about Agorophobia. I don't mind what. The more the merrier, lol.

Thank you

Old 10-28-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Agorophobia

agoraphobia is panic attacks and phobias, a phobia is an unreasonably severe fear thats associated with a panic attack
phobias about going to a large shop are common so that just the thought of going there may cause a panic attack

lots of self help books are available, the term panic disorder seems to be replacing agoraphobia
see the panic disorders board here

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Hi Hry33

Ok thankyou for your help.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Hry33 is right...agoraphobia is an abnormal fear of being in situation that makes you feel anxiety around strangers, public places, crowds, large open areas, etc. If you experience panic attacks in the outside world, away from your comfort zone, you are likely to start avoiding going anywhere you think you might have another panic attack. This can be a very serious problem for some people if it gets to the point where they don't feel safe anywhere outside of their home, or going places alone, for example. People can also suffer agoraphobia to varying degrees from mild anxiety about being out with strangers, to panic in only certain places, to full-blown can't get out of bed type of fear.

I think the only way to get over this is to get help with either medication or therapy, and to face the fears. If you give in to fear, it can snowball and it will be harder to control.

This is a very interesting subject and I could go on and on, but the important thing is to go see a doctor if agoraphobia is interfering with your life.

Last edited by SRMom; 10-28-2005 at 01:26 PM.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Hiya SRMom. I just posted on the Panic disorder board, lol.

You can go on and on about Agorophobia with me if you want. I would really like to hear other peoples input on it and especially those who have it or know people who do.

Thankyou.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

faeriegirl25 HB User

I have dealt with Agoraphobia for over 10 years and have overcome it twice!! Alot of times those with Agoraphobia ( severe) become housebound. Thanfully I have a moderate case.. I do not like to be away from my safe zone( home, city or even family members). It interferes with my life because I am basically confined to my city.. It is my hope that I get to travel 20 miles away to go shopping. Agoraphobia is tough to deal with. Medication and therapy are the only things that have helped me.

Take Care
Fae

Old 10-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Hiya Fae,
Thanks for your reply hun. I have Agorophobia and its very difficult for me to leave the house. I think I've had it 3-5 years and its gradually got worse. I can go outside as long as someone who I trust is with me but if there's a lot of people about or even only a few then I go back inside and wont come out again for a few days.

I seem to have a strong aversion to being outside around the time school finishes.Does anyone else get this? I think its because the streets will be packed around this time. Before this time, when I do get the courage to go out, I (think) I panic and it feels like a crushing sensation in my chest and I become all sweaty and feel "weird."

My doctor has no idea about this and I dont think they'l believe me or perscribe me some medcation that doesn't work instead of giving me actual help with a physchologist or something. I dont know who I need to see or where to go for help.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

Whitelight:

Can you go to your doctor and say you are having anxiety attacks and you need a benzodiazepine like Xanax, Valium, etc.? I have slight agoraphobia that gets worse sometimes when I'm under a lot of stress. You mentioned going out when school gets out, and I can really relate to that because I have to pick up my son from the high school everyday. There are so many people, cars, crazy teenage drivers, etc. I've had bad days when I didn't think I could drive home. When I get like that, I take half a Xanax melted under my tongue, and I feel much calmer and able to be out among all the people.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Hiya SRMom,

I'm not sure if my doctor will give me anything. I haven't told her about this because she doesn't listen. She'll tell me I'll "snap out of it." I'll try getting some medication and help off her though. I just wont back down as its really messing up my life. I'm even too scared to get a job now unless I'll have to deal with lots of people or they'll be crowds when waiting for the bus or kids will be out of school. Silly things like that. Its really controlling my life. My gran and mum know I have this as my gran has it mildly too but my aunt and all the rest dont believe me. They say I couldn't get behind the wheel of a car if I had Agorophobia which is rubbish since I'm always with someone. I just panic and feels scared as hell when driving through town. God I hate it.

I really will try to get some medication and help. I just hope I can get a appointment this week but sometimes it can take 2 weeks at my surgery practice. It should be within 42 hours but thats what my doctors are like, lol.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

I believe it means, "fear of the marketplace." You can have mild agora. or full blown agora. Either is painful.
I have the mild. That is, I can go out alone to shop and feel fine. Or, sometimes, when I go out alone I can feel very anxious. If my husband drives I have a Much greater chance of feeling anxious or very anxious. This has been going on for 21 years. On and off.
The severe form is when a person cannot leave their home, period. Many people with this spend a lifetime figuring out how to live their lives in their homes. For instance, they can have groceries delivered and order their clothes over the internet. I don't know what they do to deal with dental appointments! They have friends and neighbors transport their children places. They cannot even stand on their front step.
We met a man years ago whose wife had it. We never laid eyes on her. Their windows were covered with sheets. We moved away then years later drove back to look at the neighborhood. There the house stood, with the sheets over the windows.
There are times when I just take xanax before I go out. I hate doing it; I don't do it often. It works quite well, though, 90% of the time.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

Do you feel like people are staring at you and whispering behind your back? I feel this way when I think I have a panic attack. I think Agorophobia is hell on earth and really messes someone up. I wish there was a quick fix. I did hear through my Gran that agorophobia comes on suddenly out of the blue.

I dont like going out at all to be honest. I've gradually tried to fight it and make myself go out. But I cant go anywhere along. A few weeks ago I was scared to stand on my doorstep. I think Im going like that again now. I wont even answer the door lately. I dont know why I just feel fear and I freeze.I feel like a freak and like I'm crazy. I suppose I'm not but I used to be a "normal" person, always going out in crowded places and having a good time.Now I dont even like being parked in the car or sitting in the front room of where I live. I even peek through curtians. Im turning into a old woman.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #12
(male)

Rogerwilco HB User

Whitelight, I swear to god I feel you. I'm only 1*years old and life is pretty horrible for me. Everyday I feel pretty sad thinking that all my friends are having a good time going out watching movies, going to mall shopping and I cant go because of this fake fear I have in my head. I use to be pretty populaur in school until I got this fear that im being looked at constantly and Im so nervous. Its horrible because im not depressed or anything i just got it. But now im starting to feel depress cause I cant go out with my friends and live my teenage years. Im taking no medications so when I have a attack i take it fully, and its extremly intense fear. I feel so dumb at times knowing half of these people dont have a clue what they are learning in class and im the smartest kid in class. I wish there was a safe medicine that was very effective. Ive been telling my parents that I cant live any longer with this Agoraphobia and they go "No medications nothing is wrong with you!" Life right now is hell, Im pretty much staying home trying to avoid anything that will trigger my attacks. But I still think postive about things even though life is hell. Im happy I dont have disorders like schizo, bipolar and all that. That's pretty sad to say, but it cheers me up a bit! As of now i might try to take a low dose of valium and a herbal anxiety relief called Amoryn.

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-27-2005 at 01:15 PM.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

"Do you feel like people are staring at you and whispering behind your back? "

No; I have never felt like that. If you want any advice, you should see a doctor. The doctor will most likely: send you to a psychiatrist who will prescribe Prozac. Seems to be a catch-all drug nowadays.
If it were me, I'd try St John's Wort, a natural anti-depressant, 900mg daily, first. I would also take 2,000 mg a day of fish oils (Omega 3 fatty acids). Give it ten days. If you don't feel much better then, go tell a professional about this. They will ask you:

1) what drugs , if any, you're taking, including over the counter preparations;
2) when did it start and do you know Why it started;
3) what drugstore do you use.
I hope someone else has more advice for you. Best of Luck!!

Old 10-29-2005, 04:43 PM   #14
(male)

Rogerwilco HB User

Whitelight I'm only 1* years old and i have to deal with agoraphobia too. But here are some things ive learned to do with Agoraphobia. First of all dont pity your self cause it wont help and just deal with it n accept. Second of all work with your agoraphobia and go out, I know its hard but look at me i go to school everyday. Over summer break i stayed home alot and when school started agoraphobia was hell because i was use to home and being relax n when school started the fear 99x worst. So what im trying to say is you have to maintain your agoraphobia and go out. Cause one day something is going to happen and you going to have to go out, might as well just get use to the feelings or its going to be like super intense fear when you finally get out of your house.{REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-27-2005 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Don't ask for or offer off board contact information of any kind. Ms_Mod

Old 10-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #15
(male)

Rogerwilco HB User

Oh yeah, and when your having an attack just remember that these are all lies in your head.

Closed Thread