It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Talking Agoraphobia making me scared to drive

I've been Agoraphobic for many years now. It started shortly after getting married. I wasn't able to leave the house for several months. It got better and now it's worse again. Several times lately I've had a horrible panic attack while driving. I felt like I was going to faint at the wheel. It scared me to death. I know that I have to force myself to drive or I'll end up housebound again. I take a 0.25 mg. Xanax before leaving the house, but lately it's not helping. I can feel relaxed when I leave, but if I'm stopped at a long traffic light or in the left turn lane, I feel trapped and start to freak out. The other day, I had to take a 2nd Xanax in order to get to my DDS appt. I got through the appt. OK. I'm not sure if my Dr. will increase my Xanax dose, if I ask him. He's very conservative with medication. I had gone to a shrink in my area about a yr. ago and he refused to prescribe Xanax, only anti-depressants. He said he wouldn't treat me unless I took anti-depressants. I never bothered to see him again b/c he talked down to me. I've read that taking Xanax is perfectly safe even at 10 mgs. a day. I don't think I need anywhere near that much, but how do I find a Psychiatrist who will prescribe Xanax for me? Before seeing a Psychiatrist, I have to get approval from our insurance co. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
(female)

sassy040 HB User
Re: Agoraphobia making me scared to drive

well, first of all, i did get that bad to, paxil and change of attitude saved me. i dont like taking a/d either but i sure hated feeling the way i did. stay strong, and hopefully that will help, but if not, consider a/d

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread