It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003, 04:59 AM   #1

kiki lou HB User
Unhappy Dental phobia

Hi,

I'm 40 years old, and have been remarkably dentally healthy, with never a cavity even. However, I was traumatized during my orthodontia experiences during my childhood, teenage years (several poorly handled extractions of primary AND permanent teeth) and have been left with an EXTREME phobia.

I've not had a cleaning in 8 years, altho I did see 2 dentists and an oral surgeon 18 mos ago for clenching/bite guard. At that time, they took panoramic x rays, said everything looked GREAT, blah blah. I try and take excellent home care of my teeth.

Now I'm having some gum problems due to some drugs I'm taking for health issues. I KNOW I need to schedule a cleaning/exam, but I'm shocked at how much the fear has gripped me. I'm having PANIC ATTACKS just thinking about making the appointment. I tried to call the other day, but was sobbing so hard, I couldn't even speak, so I hung up.

I'm mostly afraid of finding out something HORRIBLE is going on. That moment right before they tell me what they think is so excrutiating for me. I know this is irrational and ridiculous, but the feelings are real to me. I've never spoken about this fear to anyone, and have just held it in for all these years.

Right now I'm not sleeping, can hardly eat out of anxiety. My dentist is on vacation until Monday, so I'm trying to stay calm until then, but I'm not doing well at all.

Any suggestions?

Kiki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 09:55 AM   #2
(female)

Narey HB User
Kiki, I just registered here...I read this page for hours the other night, and it is so helpful, if scary!

I just wanted to say that I totally understand. I have a similar (but not as severe) phobia, so that I am also consumed and procrastinating on making the CALL. It's especially frustrating when you finally do make the call and there's some snag so that you're still at square one. I hope you get the relief you need!! Hopefully as you do, you'll whittle away at your phobia.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Micheybell HB User
kiki lou,

I was one of those paranoid people like yourself - I made myself sick when I found out that i'd have get my wisdom teeth extracted. And they were all impacted .. it makes me sick thinking about it but it really was a piece of cake. You have to find a dentist that you feel comfortable with. I found this really attractive dentist and it helped me to relax .. LOL
Seriously, if you can't do that then bring your walkman or a friend w/ you and have them come in the room.

You're better off going now and following up every few months so that something more serious doesn't happen.

Trust me I used to be a paranoid and anxiety stricken person when it came to dr.'s and dentist's. But I've gotten a thousand times better.

What helps me most when I feel anxiety or panic coming on is I think of the things that I have that make me happy (a healthy family and marriage, a great husband etc...) try that. Remember anxiety is all in your head you control the way you feel. Think happy good thoughts and it will help.
Good luck.

Old 07-31-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
(female)

Cashodeen HB User
Perhaps you could be prescribed a tranquilizer by your doctor? Have you ever had a medication like valium before? It usually helps people handle a phobic situation, like visiting the dentist.

Old 07-31-2003, 05:48 PM   #5

findingmyway HB User
I really know what you are feeling, i too have a severe phobia my advice to you is to try and relax and to find a sedation dentist to see. Please do not let your fears take over like i have. I AM just 39 years old and was told 2 weeks ago that i have to have dentures upper and lower because i let my fear take over my life and completly destroyed my teeth.

Old 07-31-2003, 05:51 PM   #6

findingmyway HB User
I really know what you are feeling, i too have a severe phobia my advice to you is to try and relax and to find a sedation dentist to see. Please do not let your fears take over like i have. I AM just 39 years old and was told 2 weeks ago that i have to have dentures upper and lower because i let my fear take over my life and completly destroyed my teeth.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:53 AM   #7
(male)

hottrodd HB User
Hi

I also have a fear of going to the dentist. I have pretty bad teeth and need a lot of work. I have insurance but I know that I will still have to come up with out of pocket cash to pay for all the extensive work.

I guess I use that as my excuse sometimes. I even had an appointment, went to the dentist office, sat in the waiting room, then faked being sick and left. I felt pretty pathetic, especially when I came home and lied to my wife about going.

Sometimes anxiety and phobias control what we do. I am working on making that call, there is really nothing stopping me except myself.

I agree with what some of the other posters said. Find a dentist that you are really comfortable with and ask for sedation if you need it. Dentists are used to people being afraid or scared of dental work. Believe me that your not alone. There are a lot of people like you, myself and others that just need that extra little help.

Let us know how everything goes.. If you need to talk we are here for you..

Hottrodd

[This message has been edited by hottrodd (edited 08-01-2003).]

Closed Thread