It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

princesscol HB User
Exclamation Need something to help with Agoraphobia!!!

Iíve been feeling well with all aspects of my life except for traveling. I think I have a bad case of agoraphobia. I donít want to travel more than an hour away from home. I think if I were able to over come that I would be 100% back to myself. I have Xanax and even though Iíve never taken it it does ease my mind just to know that I have it. Iím wondering if there are any other techniques or something that get people through long road trips. I know I could never get on a plane. Iíve been scared of those even before anxiety. I just want to go visit my cousins in California and Nevada and actually have a good time.

Last edited by princesscol; 12-14-2005 at 08:11 AM.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: Need something to help with Agoraphobia!!!

The best way is to force yourself to do it. The more you force yourself to go out, the more you'll feel comfortable doing it. That's really the basis of immersion therapy for phobias, in my opinion...working through the fear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscol
Iíve been feeling well with all aspects of my life except for traveling. I think I have a bad case of agoraphobia. I donít want to travel more than an hour away from home. I think if I were able to over come that I would be 100% back to myself. I have Xanax and even though Iíve never taken it it does ease my mind just to know that I have it. Iím wondering if there are any other techniques or something that get people through long road trips. I know I could never get on a plane. Iíve been scared of those even before anxiety. I just want to go visit my cousins in California and Nevada and actually have a good time.
First and foremost, the BEST thing to do is see a qualified therapist to guide you through this. They can offer you methods and techniques that will be very useful to you. I and others could probably write a couple of these down, but it isn't just the techniques themselves that help...its having a nonjudgemental individual coach you through them one on one thats really important. Never underestimate the effect of human contact when getting through emotional issues.

Secondly, you have the Xanax already...have you considered taking an adequate amount before you even leave the home? This way, you'll be cool as a cucumber during the entire experience and eliminate all the anticipatory anxiety or any possible panic attacks you may have.

Thirdly to give you a few pointers, you need to make yourself believe that your worst fears are actually quite irrational...this is actually the goal of most therapy...If your biggest fear is having a panic attack while on the road, realize that panic attacks are completely harmless to you. It is VERY unlikely that you would ever have a heart attack or even pass out from them and they ALWAYS pass. If you fear embarrassment, realize that NO ONE will judge you as difficult as you do everyday of your life...The agoraphobic is quite simply his or her own worst enemy. We are so self-critical and believe that all eyes are on us and judging us every minute of the day when it simply isn't true! People out in public have all their own things going on and are usually much to self involved to barely even notice others let alone judge them and even if they do, so what? Who are they and what makes them so great? A confident person doesn't fear ridicule, he/she embraces it.

You will be doing a lot of this in therapy...identifying all the negative thoughts and feeling you have towards people and situations and counter them by bringing a sense a reality back to your mind...it teaches you to view things from a realistic and confident perspective.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

Yes You Should Get Therapy I Also Feel Unsafe Once Out Of My Home, I Cannot Go To Far I Have Not Been Driving For A Long Time Sue To My Anxiety/agoraphobia Issues, I Finally Found A Doc Ihave To See Next Month I Also Want To Start Taking Celexa Or Some Meds Except For Xanax Which Has Messed Up My Asthma

Old 12-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User

I should say when I mentioned forcing yourself to do something difficult, I didn't mean to sound so insensitive. I think that therapy could help you...my understanding of your situation is that you are still able to do quite a lot. You aren't suffering as seriously as some of our other friends here who cannot venture out on their own. That's why I thought you might be able to do it on your own, but I agree that therapy could give you some skills you'll be able to use your whole life. Good luck!

Closed Thread