It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

Godschild2 HB User
Question 1st dental visit in over 20 years/severe phobia

Hello,
I recently went to the dentist for the first time in abt 20 yrs. I was referred to a periodontist due to severe perio. The dr. did a scaling and root planing on Wed. w/ iv sedation b/c of my anxiety.
I was told that iv sedation would make you not care and you would not remember the procedure. I remember everything! I almost felt like I was not sedated at all. Is it possible that I did not have enough medication?

Also, after the S&RP, they walked me out to my husband w/ no follow-up. What is my next step?

I have been praying and I really intend to get my oral health under control. I just would like to know more abt the sedation and is it normal for me to have S&RP done and then just go home?

Thanks for everyone's help. Your stories have been encouraging

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
I will conquer this.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
(female)

blueheartlady HB User
Re: 1st dental visit in over 20 years/severe phobia

How Are You Feeling Now?

Last edited by blueheartlady; 02-17-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
(female)

blueheartlady HB User

It Could Be Very Possible That You Were Not Administered Enough Medication...about 5 Weeks Ago I Had Oral Surgery To Remove My Teeth For Dentures. I Was Terrified So I Was Put Under Conscious Sedation With The Use Of An Iv....i Never Knew Anything!!! They Had On A Previous Visit Sent Me Home With A Patch Of Medication To Put On My Arm So I Wouldn't Even Feel The Needle For The Iv, And Pills To Take The Night Before And 1 Hour Before My Surgery. I Never Even Felt The Needle, Or Anything Else...i Don't Remember Anything About The Procedure Either. I Know After It Was Over They Walked Me Down The Hall To A Recovery Room To Where My Husband Was Waiting For Me, So I Could Lie Down For Them To Observe Me For A Short Time, And Until I Was Capable Of Walking Out To The Car. I Don't Remember The Trip Home Or Anything Until Later That Night And The Next Morning. So I Would Agree That Something Was Not Right With Your Procedure. Because I Was So Afraid That Was The Only Way That I Could Make It Through It. My Heart Goes Out To You Because I Know The Anxiety You Feel!!!

Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
(female)

katzfriend HB User

Hi! I know what you are going through. I get so anxious going to the dentist that my stomach is in knots and I can't eat or sleep.
The doctor that did the perio treatment on you should be seeing you for a follow up and maintenance treatments. Do you have another appointment with your dentist and did he tell you what type of treatment you needed, other than the scaling?
Try to hang in there, I keep thinking it must get better!

Old 02-17-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
(female)

Godschild2 HB User

Thanks so much for responding everyone.

I feel fine now. I took 2 Advil when I got home from the dentist and that is all I've needed since. A couple of sore spots on my gums, but no big deal.

I'm beginning to think now that something must have gone wrong w/ my iv sedation procedure b/c I remember everything. He stuck a needle in my gum maybe 3 or 4 times to numb my mouth. One time this hurt so bad tears came to my eyes.

I'm going to call back for a f/u appointment. I think I should tell him my concerns about the iv sedation and how it didn't do what it was supposed to do.

My sister says I should tell him and next time request more medication. He is a nice dentist

Old 02-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #6

masonpips HB User

I went 7 years without going due to my phobia/childhood issues (root canal at 9, horrible teeth overall). The dentist I finally found believes in "better dentistry through medication". I take 1 valium the night before my appointment (so I can sleep instead of stress, which is what I would do) and then 1 hour before the actual procedure I take another (10 mg each). He then uses nitrous as well during the procedure.

I remember the procedures, but I simply don't care and then come home, sleep 2-3 hours and pretty much am fine after that (having some residual pain this time).

I had countless fillings and 5 crowns down in 2003 using this method. I just recently broke a crown (my luck is horrendous) so I'm back in there using the same thing and it really, really helps

Old 02-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User

hmmm how would this fair for someone like me? Im 23 with a heart condition, PVC's, which are extra heart beats, also know to be felt as "skipped" I have to have a scaling and root planning due to moderate pero.

Closed Thread