It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
(female)

Mamma Lucia HB User
Question Must have catact surgery, phobia for surgery in general

Hello,

My dad is in his early 60, and has developed early stage cataracts in both in eyes, especially the left eye. Even though cataract surgery has 98% success rate, he has tried to postpone cataract surgery till some medical breakthrough emerges (laser cataract removal, eyedrops, etc) because in the past, when ever he has gone under the knife, some compilcation has occured.

Now, he went to the opthamologist who advised that he must have cataract surgery within this year, and of course, my dad is uneasy. He doesn't want cataracts, but he doesn't want complications either.

Please tell me how to go about searching for the cataract surgeon who is at the top of the line. So far, I only know to find out whether the surgeon has a medical licence, and is board certified, but what else must I look into to assure my dad that the surgeon I find will be the best for him?

Thank you for your guidance.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Must have catact surgery, phobia for surgery in general

Your dad's experiences with surgery mirror my own.
I won't tell horror stories, but just believe that I understand his hesitancy.

I had cataract surgery last summer and am still trying to get an eyeglass prescription that allows me to see as well with glasses as I did before.

More important, perhaps, than getting the best doctor, is to get a second opinion.
Most are pretty conservative because they don't want to do it unless the outcome will definitely be better than before surgery.
Because I was so nearsighted, the doctor didn't seem to think that was an issue. But I was only used to seeing with glasses, not without.

Is your dad nearsighted (good near vision without glasses) or farsighted very much?

Try to talk to people who have had cataract surgery and see who they recommend.
That's what I did.
And it is better in a lot of ways.
Especially on bright sunny days when I can see for many miles without glasses, and can see things I've never seen before in my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
(female)

Mamma Lucia HB User

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

My dad is far sighted, i.e. needs glasses for reading only. Are there more complications from cataract surgery for those who are far-sighted. Is there anything else I should look into. Thanks.

Lucia

Old 02-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Post-cataract surgery vision is farsighted too, so he won't have to relearn seeing.
There are a variety of new lenses out on the market that do different things.
A few to look up in a search engine are: crystalens, Restor, Rezoom, Tecnis

Old 02-26-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

My Dad who is far sighted had cataract surgery in is late 70's. He said it was such an easy operation with no ill effects. You go home the same day.

My mom's eye is developing a cataract, but her HMO won't let her have an operation until is gets worse. She can't wait because my Dad's was so quick and easy.

If you are worried about what doctor to choose, look for one at a major medical university/hospital. They seem to have the top cutting edge doctors.

Closed Thread