It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User
agoraphobia

Anyone else suffer from this? I have a horrible time going out of my safe zone right now. I was doing very good until my panic attacks returned. Now im having trouble with this agoraphobia again. I hate it. Its the worse part of my anxiety disorder. Anyone have any suggestions about trying to overcome my fears? My fiance and I went to taco bell in the next town over and I felt the anxiety running through me until I got there and ate a little. I try to push myself to do things out of the city I live in and I do do them but with lots of anxiety. I want to go away for vacation but am scared to death to schedule it for the mere fact that something bad will happen to me. Its crazy!! I feel like im crazy.. I have to say venting helps!!

Old 03-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CircusSquirrel HB User
Re: agoraphobia

I have had anxiety problems since I was a teenager, and I'm 31 now. At one point, I became nearly housebound. I urge you to keep trying to get out of the house, to keep testing your safety zone. You must never give up. You may need medications to help you with this. Just keep getting out, whether your legs feel like gelatin or your heart is pounding, you have to keep going. The more you get out and test your boundaries, the easier it will become. It is very difficult to go out in public or anywhere when feeling so anxious, but in the end, it is imperative to your recovery. There are some self-help books that help you lay out specific programs, you might try searching a large bookstore. Claire Weekes' book like Hope and Help for Your Nerves are oldies but goodies, I found them very comforting. Take care. It does get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

lehara HB User
Re: agoraphobia

Hi there,
I think you are doing the right thing by trying to push yourself and get out there. I have had severe anxiety attacks for over a month now, and am desperately trying to get better without medication (I do take the occasional ativan, but have not taken any Lexapro - afraid of side effects- I definitely could not cope with elevated anxiety). I have a supportive boyfriend too who has stuck with me through all of this. I need to remind myself daily: all your test results came back fine. You are not physically sick. Things will get better.
I try to give myself daily "goals" to get out, since I am not working right now. Let me know how you get on. By the way, my panic attacks usually consist in my heart starting to race, which gets me all worked up and then it races even more, up to 150 beats a minute and I am worried I might have a heart attack! One technique that has worked for me is the ice cold water in the face. It works everytime.

Closed Thread