It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User
Neopharmaphobia - Afraid of new medicines

I think I am suffering from neopharmaphobia (think I spelt it right). I am on valium and have been for years. I should be on anti depressants but they made me so drowsy with the valium that I weaned myself off them. I am physically poorly now and I need to take certain drugs but they all interact with valium (I must take for panics). I can't seem to get the doctors to understand that when it distinctly says on the instructions tell your doctor if you are taking valium then surely its not a good thing.I have kids to look after and cant afford to be zonked out! Anyone else frightened to take their medicines because they are worried about how it will make them feel?? Its becoming an issue for me.
Thnaks for reading.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Neopharmaphobia - Afraid of new medicines

I'm not afraid to take new medications, but I DO have a serious problem with fatigue from my psychiatric medications. I recently weaned off my Prozac because it was making me sooo damn tired, that and I honestly don't think it (or any of the SSRI's I've taken) were helping my OCD... Currently, the only medication that I take daily is Lamictal, which I use for my mood swings and sensory outbursts caused by my Asperger's. I also get severe panic attacks, usually daily when I'm in school, and I have Klonopin for that, but I seldom use the Klonopin. I'm actually supposed to take a 0.5 mg Klonopin each day, but they made me so out-of-it that I got 0.125 mg Klonopin, which I'm supposed to take every day and save the 0.5 mg when I get a really bad panic attack, but I only use the Klonopin of any dosage every three weeks or more. This is because I've gotten panic attacks all my life since I was three, and I've learned to deal with them, and if I didn't get them, I wouldn't know how to react since they're such a part of me. I take the 0.5 Klonopin when I'm having a REALLY bad day where I literally can't function and am paralyzed with fear, but the main reason I stopped taking the Klonopin was the fatigue. I was a zombie, and personally, I only want that zombie effect when I'm really worked-up... God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
(female)

anonymouswreck HB User

Bilbobeth I know *exactly* how you feel. I am terrified of taking new medicines, because I don't know what they will do to me. I know exactly what it's like.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:15 AM   #4
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

Phew! Its good to know I am not the only person with this. I think it's because I have had several bad reactions in the past and do not trust medicines any more. Because I have panic attacks I have got hyper sensitive to the side effects of drugs ie I read the info sheet (shouldn't!) and most drugs say breathing difficulties, shortness of breath etc as side effects. I then imaging the worse scenario and it freaks me out.

I also have another question which should maybe be put in another thread. I have day to day nausea and need an anti nausea medication desparately. Do non drowsy anti histamines you can buy over the counter work on nausea? if so why the hell hasnt a doc given me these so I can be safe with taking them on valim?

Anyone more for any more ????

Closed Thread