It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

(s)aint HB User
anxiety and agoraphobia..

I've been diagnosed with agoraphobia and I (obviously) get a lot of anxiety about going out in public places. I generally have no problems/anxiety about walking up to the corner store and small places like that, but large, crowded areas like malls and grocery stores really freak me out. I'm about to turn 21 and this agoraphobia is really putting a damper on what should be a good time in my life. Its really frustrating to not be able to go to the mall with friends or out to the bar anymore. This agoraphobia is very new to me, and has only been happening for the last month or so. I never used to be this bad, so this is really frustrating. My doc won't prescribe any benzo's, so that idea is out. I was wondering if theres any techniques or things that others do that help them deal with being out in large crowds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SRMom HB User
Re: anxiety and agoraphobia..

Maybe you could get some books on how to help deal with panic and anxiety and possibly see a therapist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

(s)aint HB User

Yah my GP said I should see a counsellor. I guess I should get on that haha!

Old 05-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User

You sound like me! I have come a long way without benzo's so there is hope. Why won't he give them to you ? You need to learn how to beat the fear. What ever it is your afraid of you need to deal with it and put it behind you. Thats what the agoraphobia is all about fear. Dealing with it and learning to make healthy choices and living in reality helps alot. Seeing a therapist might help but I do reccomend books to help educate you on everything. There is such thing called exposure therapy. Look it up on the net. I hope you feel better really soon. Mine started at 21 and now im 25 and doing ok. Not 100% but its better then feeling the way I used to.

Old 05-20-2006, 04:46 AM   #5
(female)

Bilbobeth HB User

I have had agoraphobia for many years. It is a real toughie without tranquillisers but they don't get rid of the problem just make life a little easier for a while. So! Its not the answer anyway.
There is obviously a wealth of info on the internet but no quick cure,
I would advise you to do as I have been doing for years. Keep at it...keep going out in public places. If its too bad, start in small settings, choose the least busy days to go out first and times of day when there are least likely to be people about. Gradually build up to the busier days. It sounds simple but you need to build up some confidence and reprogram your brain.
Your brain now assumes you will be phobic and have fear in these situations. It is only you that can change things around. When your brain gets used to handing the least stressful public situations with time the rest may fall into place. It is hard work. I still get panicky but I never let it beat me and some days are much better than others. Just to do a 5 minute walk at first was a hurdle for me. It does get easier and easier the more you confront it and I am afraid gentle confrontation might be the best way to kick it! Good luck.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
(female)

softletters HB User

can i ask why s/he wont prescribe any benzos for you?

anyways talk therapy has really helped me out. also a process called EMDR {REMOVED}made a world of difference!

best of luck
jenny.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-20-2006 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules, don't post website addresses. Ms_Mod

Old 05-20-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
(female)

(s)aint HB User

she won't prescibe them becuase she is afriad of people becoming dependant on them.
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Good to know I'm not alone with this!

Old 05-21-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
(male)

nabyou HB User

Ok there is a method called CBT, which you slowly start going to bigger and bigger place until you relaize that it is ok. You are 21 yrs old you are at the prime of your life you either beat this thing or you let it best which is going to be you decide. find a therpist that uses CBT...good luck

Closed Thread