It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
(female)

anonymouswreck HB User
Phobias?

Hey, I know that some of you here must have some phobias, and I'd like to see what they are. It can be a strange comfort to others to know that there are others out there that have phobias too. Mine is a fear of eating in public.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 AM   #2
(male)

bynobody HB User
Re: Phobias?

Fear of going insane.

Actually think I am sometimes...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
(female)

jjules HB User

Fear of heights, closed spaces, driving out of town-especially on interstates, fear of going really fast like on boats in big lakes, cars, motorcycles. School functions like conferences, music concerts. I hate it being this way too. Jules

Last edited by jjules; 08-09-2006 at 08:54 AM.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I am afraid of vomit. Whether it be me or someone else, I am afraid of it.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
(female)

Donna-Sue HB User

JJules, you are exactly like me, how is your medication doing? I used to love to ride motorcycles, and never thought once about going over a big long bridge, or even driving on the interstate, it is pure Hell...............

Old 08-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
(female)

musac HB User

I'm scared of food being tampered with- I need to make sure it's sealed, and check all around it- I won't eat it if it doesn't pass my "test". I hate tight/small spaces.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

jjules HB User

Hi DS, In answering your question I think my medication is still doing fine, I have conquered a couple of phobia a little I have left town a few times on the highway and once it was on a motorcycle. At first I was a little nervous but after I got off I felt a little high-like wow what a rush I had a big smile on my face. I think I will ask my special friend if he will give me another one and might even tell him to go on the interstate a bit! I'm starting to read some books about anxiety and phobias because I'd sure like to get rid of them once and for all! Take care everyone. Jules

Old 08-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Fear of storms but I am fine when I am with people.Fear of driving freeways. Fear of Bee's wasps and anything I think might be one of them.Reaon for fears I have about two of them. Lightney hit owr home twice many years ago. Fear of bees my brother and I had a swarm of yellow jackets attack us when we were about 4.BTW we live in FL now after years of no bad storms in Ca.TV here gives you a list of what to do in a storm and it seems to me the only thing you can do is sit in a chair but not near a window or door.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
(female)

jjules HB User

Storms used to be my 1st phobia, I used to be petrified of storms (almost was in a deadly tornado on the interstate when I was a teenager.) Now I am not as frightened by them but I do have to be near a basement or I probaly would be panicky. We had some loud boomers early this morning but I jumped when a bolt of lightning with a crash right outside my window and said Jesus C!!!!! I also forgot to list my fear of crossing big bridges with rivers underneath them ahhh drives me nuts! I'm reading a book now called Phobia Free which says they think they could be linked to an inner ear problem. Could possibly be who knows? Have a good one all. Jules

Old 08-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
(male)

bynobody HB User

Yeah, kind of a catch-22.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I have so many phobias and fears that it's hard to list them all, so I'll just put my major ones:
-fear of the dentist/fear of cavities
-fear of driving and killing someone
-fear of failure
-fear of doing something God finds punishable
It's really hard for me to think of my fears because the list just goes on and on and on. Those four are the ones that usually plague me. If you couldn't already tell, all of those are from my OCD, and all of them have a corresponding compulsion to counteract the obsessive fear, usually praying, which has originated from the last phobia I listed.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
(male)

bynobody HB User

Hey Gatsby, are you a Christian???

Just wondering cause I have the fear of God too, even though I am a Christian and I know God won't punish me. I think this fear comes from childhood, some traumatic religious experiences in my old home town have plagued my fragile mind ever since.

I have always had an obsession with the 'dark side.' Its funny cause I never ever looked into it really, and always steered clear of occult type stuff, I just have a tendency to 'read into' situations, events and people way more than is there. I have a natural fear of that particular ...unknown.

Definitely comes from childhood, but it will prolly be lifelong, even though I know its sorta stupid to 'see' certain things behind everything.

Anyways, just wanted to see what beliefs you had, and if anyone had that particular fear also.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #13
(male)

bynobody HB User

I have those blasphemous thoughts somtimes too....I thought it was the devil til I realized it was just my disease. As per the Bible, Christians can't be anything but tempted by the evil one, so that gives me comfort. One of my big phobias was being possessed and even with the Word of God negating this, I still feel the phobia sometimes, so I know its just an illness.

I get those thoughts a lot in church....man I hate that...and that's prolly one reason I didn't go for so long, but now Im trying to go every sunday, cause it makes me feel really good to get out and worship like that.

Anyway, good luck to you Gatsby, you've been a real help on here to me.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
(female)

jjules HB User

Hi Gatsby long time no see on board! Anyways I just had to let everyone know I did a great thing last night and did not have any anxiety/panic attack! I went on another motorcycle out of town with my special friend and loved it! I think I am about ready for the interstate. God that made me so happy I just kept thinking I'm not afraid of this anymore. Have a good one everyone. Jules

Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I, too, thought I was possessed an that the Devil was making me think the blasphemous obsessions, as well as the violent and sexual ones, when I was 12 and my OCD was at its worst. It seems that pure obsessionals are the ones who often think this, think that they're becoming schizophrenic, because they have a total loss of control of their thoughts. It's been proven that schizophrenia and pure obsessional OCD both involve problems in the prefrontal cortex, albeit different parts. That's why there's similar symptoms (bizarre thoughts), but important differences (OCD-ers aren't psychotic). I practically get a blasphemous thought any time I hear any mention of God, such as hearing someone say, "Oh, my God!" pass a church, or something to that effect. Frustrating... Oh, and congratulations, jjules!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-10-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Closed Thread