It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Medication phobia

Hello all! Does anyone else have a horrible medication phobia?? I never had this problem until I had a bad reaction to Paxil a year ago. Recently I've read here that magnesium is good for anxiety so yesterday I got some and I took one but I was so nervous about taking it. I had to keep reassuring myself that it was just a mineral and it isn't going to hurt me, blah, blah, blah. About a month ago my doctor gave me Inderal (propranolol) for my heart rate/blood pressure and I had a pretty bad anxiety attack after only taking a half of a pill. I couldn't continue taking it. I've even had anxiety over taking B12. I'm ridiculous. I have a prescription for Xanax that has been lying here since July and I'm too chicken to get it filled. They probably won't fill it anymore anyway, it's probably too old. Does anyone else get this nervous about taking medications? Even if they are just vitamins/minerals? Thanks!

Old 10-06-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
(male)

SteveGn HB User
Re: Medication phobia

smurfy, I don't take medication, but keep in mind that magnesium, B12 and other vitamins and minerals are found in the foods you eat and no harm comes to you when you eat. I think the magnesium supplement is especially a good idea since most soils these days are depleted of this mineral.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

I am with you on this one!! I have a medication phobia as well, all part of the anxiety disorder! I research all the side effects and once I have the guts to take it, I sware I have everyside effect minutes later, which throws me into a panic attack.. I am a xanax user and I can assure you for me, it has been a god sent! No side effects except for a little tiredness when first using.. That is just my experience with this drug. I just wanted you to know your not alone many of us suffer from this as well. Let me know if the magnesium helps I have been thinking of trying this myself... Good Luck

Old 10-06-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Leela_C HB User

Hi smurfy. I never had a medication phobia in the past but I had two bad experiences (welbutrin and atenolol) and now I am scared to death to take anything. I filled my xanax prescription right away and it took me forever to take it. I am so glad I finally got the courage to take it. I second boxerlover's comment - it has been a god send to me too! If you are afraid to take it, make sure someone is home with you when you take it. You probably even have a pretty low dose, but you can cut it in half at first if you want to. Xanax is a fairly short acting drug, so if you were to have any side effects it wouldn't take that long for you to notice. But I can assure you - I have had ZERO side effects with the xanax. It just calms me down.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

Thank you all for your quick words of advice. I decided I will get my Xanax prescription filled. I take Ativan once in a while and it really doesn't do much for me.

Boxerlover227 - So far I've taken the magnesium twice, once last night and once this morning. I have this breathing issue which makes me feel like I can't get a deep breath. I'm not sure if this is related to my anxiety or my GERD because it feels like asthma in a way. The magnesium has helped that feeling. My throat doesn't feel as tight and breathing is much easier. I didn't really expect that to happen but I'm glad it has. Also, it sort of made me sleepy but then again it is supposed to calm me. I'll let you know how I feel when I've been on it for a while.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User

I too worry about vitamins. I bought these Oil of Olay vitamins and they said consult your doctor before using if you have a heart condition. Well I don't know for sure I don't have one so I didn't take them! I also worry about everything even tylenol. I use xanax though and yes I was horrified the first time I took it so I cut the 0.5 in half and then half again. The 12.5 didn't kill me! I went ahead and took the other 12.5 and all I felt was calm......and a little sleepy but you'll get over that soon enough. I know what you're feeling girl but get your xanax filled in case you need it. Rx last for 1 yr I believe so it should be ok.

Take Care,
Tori

Old 10-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
(male)

Gimli HB User

I take 1 .25 alprazolam tablet when i feel tense. On a bad day .5) but I don't even use it everyday. I use it the same way i have a beer before i go on stage with my band to relax. But like you i am afraid to depend on it. I guess keep in mind if your afraid of meds then think of it this way. If you can have a beer here and there on the weekends and not be a alcholic, Then you can take a pill every now and then to settle down without becoming hooked to em.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Xanax works. There are no two ways about it. I agree with everyone before me. I have been taking it for a month and a half and have had no side effect except the ability to fall asleep at a reasonable time now. LOL.

Anyway, I also had major painc reactions to SSRI's. I have tried damn near all of them and some other drugs that were pretty potent. None were remotely worth the side effects. I ussually had anxiety attacks from the meds that were worse than the ones I had without. Anyway, you may feel a twinge of panic when you take your first xanax, but you won't feel that way for long I can assure you. Give it a try.

If you absolutely can't deal with prescription meds. I have used Kava Kava. It is the root of a pacific island plant related to the pepper. It is pretty good stuff and can help a bit with minor anxiety. I found it helpful, but not to the extent that Xanax has been. I wish you luck. Definitely let us know how the xanax worked for you.

Later

Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
(female)

jondon HB User

Hi, I came across this post today. I can see that it's very old, but I'm responding anyway. How are you doing? I have exactly what you describe. It sucks. I've had it for 40 years lol. Right now, for me, I'm having an extremely difficult time as I had a heart attack 3 months ago. OMG LOLOL talk about a medicine phobia.....it's ridiculous and I drive the doctors and my family nuts lol. Well, I hope you are enjoying good health.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
(female)

JustineX HB User

I have the exact same thing. Also due though to past bad experiences. What I do now, is break the pill into pieces and take a bit to see how it feels. Some how it does work for me.

Then the next time I'll take two bits of the broken tablet, and see how that feels. Eventually I take the whole pill. It may take a few days this process. But is does work for me.

The panic is probably just from the phobia of taking it 9 times out of 10. So maybe just remind yourself that panic only lasts maximum 1 hour at is peak. It does go away

Closed Thread