It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

kingskid HB User
Anyone have a bp cuff phobia?

Hello. I am 33, normal weight,excercise 3-5 times a week, and have never had high blood pressure. Few times over the yrs when I was stressed, my top number would be anywhere from 132-138 and the dr.s never said anything. Well about a month ago, I went in for a breast exam, I was stressed and my bp was 138/98. Dr acted concerned which made me concerned. The following week I had another apt and it was 123/76. Well then the following week I had another apt, and for some reason I got really panicky(from remembering the previous high reading), and it was 144(can't recall bottom number) she took it a minute later and it was 134. After my apt, I had them use the more accurate one and at first it was 150/76, then 144/76. I told her I was stressed, and she said well at least the bottom number is good. I was just at the dr.s 3months earlier for surgery, and had my bp taken TONS of times and it was always anywhere from 108-115 over 70-80. I also read that wearing tight/restrictive clothing can make a high reading, well I was wearing a girdle both times it ran high too. So I'm wondering if the stress and tight clothing could have been working in conjunction with each other.

Can hbp Just sneak up like that. In my heart I feel I don't have hbp, and have even thot about going back to get one of those portable ones to bring home..that way I could test it while not stressed, BUT I will probably be stressed anyway since it seems to be a new phobia. Can anyone relate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
(female)

kingskid HB User
Re: Anyone have a bp cuff phobia?

Ps, I also read that the top number(systolic) is one that indicates stress, ie usually if you have a high top and normal bottom(dystolic) and you are stressed at the time it's taken.then it's probably stress related.

Also do heart beats per minute indiacte high bp? I counted my heartbeat this morn and it was 79(normal range is 60-100)

Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

WYSIWYG HB User

It's a well-known phenomenon called "White Coat Syndrome" and there is a lot about it right here at this message board. The more you obsess over this the more you will suffer from it. I'd suggest that each time you think you should take your BP reading at home, read a White Coat thread here, instead.

~Susan

Old 10-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
(female)

kingskid HB User

hehee funny susan. Yes I did read about the whte coat syndrome. I basically tore the net trying to find as much info as possible..of course some of the stuff I should have never read LOL!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
(female)

gdfairy HB User

Boy, can I relate. I've never had HBP readings until the past year or so. I'm small, thin, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise every day, eat right, and have no history of hbp in my family, yet as soon as that cuff goes on, I feel my insides burn and tighten up, and my pulse is bangs in my head, when otherwise I'm fine. I had a pulse reading of 105 during one of my readings when normally it's around 72. No matter what I do, I can't shake this thing. It's like a fight or flight thing with me. It started with one bad reading and then I'm fearful of another ever since.
With the prevailence of this White Coat thing, I'm so surprised there aren't any hypnosis or NLP stuff on this or more options on the web to try to cure this, because it's a real fear/phobia.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
(female)

kingskid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfairy
Boy, can I relate. I've never had HBP readings until the past year or so. I'm small, thin, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise every day, eat right, and have no history of hbp in my family, yet as soon as that cuff goes on, I feel my insides burn and tighten up, and my pulse is bangs in my head, when otherwise I'm fine. I had a pulse reading of 105 during one of my readings when normally it's around 72. No matter what I do, I can't shake this thing. It's like a fight or flight thing with me. It started with one bad reading and then I'm fearful of another ever since.
With the prevailence of this White Coat thing, I'm so surprised there aren't any hypnosis or NLP stuff on this or more options on the web to try to cure this, because it's a real fear/phobia.
What's your blood pressure by the time they take it? Sometimes I wished dr.s were better trained. They don't realize when they act all scatter brained that it makes matters worse. I told both dr's(at diff times) that it was due to stress, and they just looked at me like I was lying. When she put in for a mammo, she said we need to get your results quickly so we can get your blood pressure down.She said it like I was going to drop dead right then and there Hopefully by the time I have my next dr.s visit(I'm pretty healthy so I don't know when that will be,probably within the 6mo-to a yr) I won't have white coat syndrome. Sometimes I go thru bouts of hypochondria, and this reaction(s) is just a symptom, but I'm praying that God will deliver me once and for all of it.

Just to cover myself, I wanted to add that I know dr.s are just doing their jobs and they deal with real hypert cases all the time. I just wish they'd use better tact at times.

Last edited by kingskid; 10-24-2006 at 04:10 PM. Reason: added

Old 10-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User

I can totally relate......My mom had high BP and was on meds most of her life for it. So it is always on the back of my mind. I have a cuff BP machine at home. I take my pressure once in a while. It is always perfect. 118/68 or 120/70 , readings like that..... Whenever i go to the drs. (twice a year) it is high. I have white coat syndrome which started a few years back......the other day i had an appt. w/ a foot dr. I was nervous about going. My BP was 160/92......I wasn't surprised. i told the dr. that i always have perfect BP....he thought nothing of it.....
I keep track of my readings at home.....and sometimes i will check it at a CVS or WALMART and it is always PERFECT......i just have to tell my self that i don't have it and i must relax in the drs. office......easier said than done.
bride527

Old 10-25-2006, 05:33 AM   #8
(female)

kingskid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride527
I can totally relate......My mom had high BP and was on meds most of her life for it. So it is always on the back of my mind. I have a cuff BP machine at home. I take my pressure once in a while. It is always perfect. 118/68 or 120/70 , readings like that..... Whenever i go to the drs. (twice a year) it is high. I have white coat syndrome which started a few years back......the other day i had an appt. w/ a foot dr. I was nervous about going. My BP was 160/92......I wasn't surprised. i told the dr. that i always have perfect BP....he thought nothing of it.....
I keep track of my readings at home.....and sometimes i will check it at a CVS or WALMART and it is always PERFECT......i just have to tell my self that i don't have it and i must relax in the drs. office......easier said than done.
bride527
Thank you. Stories like yours just reassure my original assesment. It's so strange how a minute of panic/anxiety can cause spikes like that...and the more you try not to focus, that harder it is. Just wish I could go back to the normal days of not being stressed out about it. Like I said I'd prbly even have high reading at home bc it's a cuff thing and not really just a dr. thing. I've taken it at walmart a few times, but i was stressed then to. I could FEEL my heart pounding,so even that's out of the question. I think bc its a fairly 'new' thing..itll just take time to get this worked out of my system. Also I noticed the more I talk about it the more anxious I become, I had a hard time sleeping last night, so I guess thats my cue to stop obsessing lol! It's almost like an addiction, I just want to get one more good reading to set the record straight .... but I'd have to be calm before that could/would happen...and I'm calm when I'm not thinking about it. lol.

Last edited by kingskid; 10-25-2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: added

Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingskid
Hello. I am 33, normal weight,excercise 3-5 times a week, and have never had high blood pressure. Few times over the yrs when I was stressed, my top number would be anywhere from 132-138 and the dr.s never said anything. Well about a month ago, I went in for a breast exam, I was stressed and my bp was 138/98. Dr acted concerned which made me concerned. The following week I had another apt and it was 123/76. Well then the following week I had another apt, and for some reason I got really panicky(from remembering the previous high reading), and it was 144(can't recall bottom number) she took it a minute later and it was 134. After my apt, I had them use the more accurate one and at first it was 150/76, then 144/76. I told her I was stressed, and she said well at least the bottom number is good. I was just at the dr.s 3months earlier for surgery, and had my bp taken TONS of times and it was always anywhere from 108-115 over 70-80. I also read that wearing tight/restrictive clothing can make a high reading, well I was wearing a girdle both times it ran high too. So I'm wondering if the stress and tight clothing could have been working in conjunction with each other.

Can hbp Just sneak up like that. In my heart I feel I don't have hbp, and have even thot about going back to get one of those portable ones to bring home..that way I could test it while not stressed, BUT I will probably be stressed anyway since it seems to be a new phobia. Can anyone relate?
A few years ago whenever I would go to the Doctor I would be very anxious and the first thing the nurse would do is check my blood pressure. After checking it she would start to leave the room and I would ask her what the readings were. The first few time they were borderline 140-90. After one occasion I even asked the doctor if I had high blood pressure and he just looked at me like I was crazy and made the reply that he would be treating everyone that came in for high blood pressure and that I was fine. He checked it again and this time it was 126/82. I had another occasion where they nurse checked it and she made the comment " DO YOU HAVE PRESSURE PROBLEMS?.. I asked her what it was and she said it was 140-90. When the doctor checked it again it was 140-78. They had me check it at home for a week and come back and all my readings were in the normal or high normal range. They finally put me on medication " DIOVAN." It has lowered my pressure and now when I go to the doctors I get readings like 124/78. I just wonder if I truly even have hypertension or white coat. When I check it at home I am always anxious and the first reading is always higher. I take 3 readings two minutes apart and the second and third readings are always lower. I can never relax when I take it anticipating a high reading.. I think my problem is more stress related than anything else...

Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #10
(female)

kingskid HB User

George, how long have you been on diovan? I'm guessing if it (hbp) wasn't due to stress then it would significantly lower it no? Like to 90/70 vs 120/80. JUst curious, thanks

Old 10-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
(female)

gdfairy HB User

Not necessarily. If a person is getting really high numbers at the Doctor's office only, on medication at the doctor's office it would probably be normal because you are still affected with white coat. See, this is what scares me. Why would a doctor put you on BP medication if the readings are normal or high normal at home? I'd hate to think I have normal pressure in reality and then be put on medicine that makes it too low (along with the other possible nasty side effects). The thing to check is when on medication at home what are the numbers? Are they a lot lower? Or are they just normal at home? You also need at least fifteen minutes between reading so that your arteries have time to recover.

The problem with this white coat thing, it's hard to know if you have HBP or not, because a truly fearful phobic person very possibly can have this problem at home. The way I gauge it is if my pulse is racing and I have other physical phobic reactions during the reading, it's not really a true reading.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
To: KINGSKID

Actually, before I started the Diovan my home readings ranged from 125-80 to 140-90. They were all over the place. Now I get readings from 115/75 to 135/88. I have noticed that I had lower readings during the Summer. I read somewhere that your blood pressure is lower in warm weather. Last night I checked it a few times and the final reading was 116-79. I don't think the Diovan is a very strong medication but it seems to work for me. My last doctors visit a few months ago it was 124/78..

Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
(female)

kingskid HB User

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's help immensely.

I think the best thing for me to do right now, is stop coming here, and reading post upon post and reading everything I can possibly read on hbp. This has caused nothing but fear/anxiety/panic attacks for nothing. If I think back(a month ago) and remind myself that my highest last reading was 144/76, and that was on a table with my feet dangling AND stressed/anxious....those numbers aren't too bad. If I remind myself that a week before that it was 123/76, (was nervous but not AS nervous as the other 2times)then that should tell me I need to stop triping. If I think back to 3months ago after I had a routine(girlie) surgery and remind myself that my numbers were anywhere from 100-118/76(or 80) for 2days.... then I need to just accept the fact that I do not have high blood pressure. Whew...just typing that made me feel 10times better.

All of you take care and continue being an encouragement to one another

Last edited by kingskid; 10-25-2006 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added

Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

MsMuss HB User

I just look at a bp cuff and I can feel my face flush, palms sweat and I can barely breath! I know how horrible it can make you feel. It doesn't even have to be at the docs...grocery stores, pharmacies etc. I have tried talking myself down, logically made conclusions to myself and nothing helps. You are not alone....

Old 03-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingskid View Post
Ps, I also read that the top number(systolic) is one that indicates stress
If the top number indicates stress, then what does the bottom number indicate? I posted a question a few days ago asking about the bottom number but no one answered me.

Closed Thread