It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #1
(female)

Summie HB User
Unhappy Help for Arachnophobia!!!

Ok, I am fed up with this phobia....I can't be in the same room as a spider, I can't kill them, I can't touch them, I can't even think about them without being extremely uncomfortable and uneasy and feeling sick.

If I see a spider on tv or someone talks about them, I have to look around to make sure there aren't any around me......then any little itch or crawling feeling I have, I think its a spider and I am freaked out.

For the rest of the day, I have them on my mind and every room I go into, I have to check to make sure there arent any there, and I am convinced that they are going to come down on a thread and crawl on my face.

The other day, I went to turn on a light switch and there was a pretty large sized spider below it....I almost touched it! I screamed, backed up, became dizzy and felt like I was going to throw up and was reduced to tears.

It doesnt matter what type or size of spiders, in fact, the smaller ones might be scarier because if I see one, they seem to be quicker and I can loose track of them easier before someone kills it. But the big ones.....uuuugh I dont want to even think about it.

The crazy thing is that I am not afraid of any other living creature. I can handle all insects, rodents, bugs, snakes etc. and I also am not irrationally worried about things in general so I dont know where this comes from.

I have looked into treatment because it is ridiculous to freak out the way I do but a lot of the treatment I have read about involves touching spiders and letting them crawl on you.

In fact, I know I would avoid any treatment that involves this and would not be able to do it. I feel like I won't ever be able to get to that point of treatment and the though of letting one crawl on me makes me gag and feel VERY uncomfortable, so what else is out there?

After writing this, I know I will have nightmares about them....anyone have any advice for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
(female)

NicoletteAshley HB User
Re: Help for Arachnophobia!!!

Hello Summie!

I have this phobia too. I cannot stand spiders! The only thing people have told me, is if I want to get over this fear, I would have to do exposure therapy. That would involve holding them! I just can't do it! I'am sorry that I don't have any advice, as I'am trying to get some of my own. Every time I see one, I scream, get goosebumps, get naseated, and feel faint. Most of the time I tear up. When I lived in Denver, I went to the Butterfly Pavillion with my Mom and sisters, well they went to see a Tarantula! My sisters were looking at it, and I lost it! I ran out of the Pavillion crying, and waited for them in the car. Now we have relocated to Montrose Colo., and where we live, the spiders are everywhere. We live in the country, so that's all part of it I guess. I just wish I wasn't so afraid of them.

~NicoletteAshley

Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

SNC727 HB User

I have heard this same thing. Once I watched a 20/20 special (or 48 hours - one of those numbers shows!) about a young girl that had the phobia so severly she couldn't leave her home.

Her exposure therapy worked, but it took almost 6 months for her to get to an advanced stage of it. If it is something that is starting to impede on your daily life, then I think you need to seek some help for it.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
(female)

alien7 HB User

You gotta look at it this way they're smaller than you. There is no reason to fear them. Most spiders aren't a threat to humans... I bet you that the spider you saw the other day, was more afraid of you than you were of it.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
(female)

Jem1294 HB User

The same. exact. thing. happens with me. I was just outside mowing the lawn and there were 2 humungous ones. The first one crawled up the fence fast as lightning until it was eye level about 6 inches from me. I dropped the lawn mower and ran away screaming and then sat on my driveway crying and having a panic attack for 5 minutes. Ever since then it's been the same thing that you've been describing... checking everyone paranoid of spiders and feeling like they're crawling on me. I can't take it. :'(

I could never, EVER, EVER deal wit that treatment. I'd rather live in fear than have to do that.

For me, I was always sort of afraid of spiders, but what really did it was when I was 10 years old, I was at a sleepover at friends house in the woods, where there are really huge spiders. My so called "friends" (I was never friends with them again after this day) could tell I was afraid of the ginormous spiders so thought it would be fun to catch some in a cup and throw them at me. I hid inside the rest of the night. It was awful. That scarred me so badly.

I just wish there were no spiders in the world :'(

Old 05-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

I grew up in the country where there were spiders everywhere, and some of these were huge! I was terrified of them my whole childhood. I'm not scared of them now I think because I look at them differently. Spiders just aren't out to attack us, they're main defense system is to run away to safety not to attack or bite and as someone said above, most of them are harmless. I think it could help if you take an interest in them, watch them without telling yourself they are going to jump on you etc because they just don't do that, they just go about their business and eat insects and are not out to attack people. When I find them in my house I just get a dustpan and move them out to the garden, that doesn't mean I go around handling them or touching them but I have come to realise how fascinating they are especially when they weave their **** etc. I think you could really start to desensitize yourself by just actually watching them, maybe for just a minute at first and then longer, don't give in to running away or letting your thoughts take off, just watch them and I think over time you'll get used to being around them without freaking out but if you run away or tell yourself all sorts of creepy stuff about them, you're reinforcing the phobia.

Closed Thread