It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Ultrasound phobia...

Hi everyone,
I am having my first ultrasound on the 1st. However, here is my problem: I have the bladder the size of a walnut. How on earth will I ever drink so much water and not wet myself??? Any solutions/advice? Thanks so much!

Laura
EDD ~ 7/27/07

Old 02-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Ultrasound phobia...

They need your bladder to be full for the ultrasound, as uncomfortable as it is. If they say to drink the water an hour before your appointment, try pushing it by 15 minutes to 45 minutes before. Normally they tell you to drink a lot more water than you actually need to. I think they tell you something like 24-32 ounces. If you can get at least 16 ounces, you're doing good. It's till a lot of water and uncomfortable, but it's necessary. Good luck with your ultrasound!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

Candy_Girl HB User

I learned my lesson from my first pregnancy. For DD, I drank the full 4 cups they recommended and almost burst. I was in so much pain by the time I got to the clinic I couldn't stand up straight.

For this pregnancy, I've only drunk 2-3 cups prior to the test so I wouldn't feel full until I get there (it's a 30-45 min drive). If drinking less doesn't work for you, just wear a thick pad and if you leak, you leak. Who's going to know

Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
(female)

CCinVB HB User

Ive never had to drink any water and I have had like 4 so far. They even let me use the restroom before I had mine.... And mine were just fine????

Old 02-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
(female)

shawnaslover HB User

On my last ultrasound I followed all of the drinking instructions. However while walking into the office I nearly peed on myself. I said forget this so I went to the restroom and relieved myself just a bit which was about 30min before appt. The ultrasound turned out fine. I think alot of depends on the woman's body size. I have heard if the woman is small the ultrasound will be a bit more clearer. Who knows? I wouldn't make myself that uncomfortable though.
Shawna

Old 02-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

I didn't have to drink any water either. I had to eat a nutritional meal an hour before, but no drinking water. Actually in the middle of my u/s they made me go to the bathroom because my bladder was getting too full.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

Like above, for my DD I did exactly what they said. I was in tears going into the u/s! This pregnancy I have already had to have 2 u/s. I drank the water, BUT went to the bathroom 1/2 hour before the test. This helped tremendously! As long as your bladder is partially full when you have the u/s you will be fine. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User

Thank you ladies for all of your helpful replies. I think I'm feeling a little bit better about this now! I'll keep you posted!

Old 02-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

LotusAwakening HB User

I am 29 weeks and have had 3 u/s. I have never been told to drink water before one was done and everything was visible and they could do and see everything they needed. This is actually the first time i've heard of drinking water before one. It must be a doctors preference. So, if you can't drink that much water, don't. They will still be able to do it.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
(female)

kimb0091 HB User

I've had 5 ultra sounds so far, and they haven't once said that I need to drink anything beforehand. All have worked out great.

Closed Thread