It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
can being hypo thyrold cause depression and severe panic disorder with agraphobia???

i found out i was hypo in jan 07 started on levothyroxine 25mcgs i suffered with depression ,panic disorder and agraphobia since feb 2006 jan 06 i had a ovary remover i was put on effexor xr 75 mg took up till jan 07 then got weened off thank god i hated that anti d ok i was seeing my gp for over a yr and he refused to test my hormones or thyrolds my psychiatrist found my tsh at 8.45 started the 25mcgs took for 8 weeks then went to 50 for 8 more weeks then my dr upped me again to 75s well i started having upper arm pain depression crying horrible chest pain so i ask if he would change brands or lower my dose he wouldnt this is a new dr a internal ,ok so i went to a endo i stopped my levothyroxine for 1 week cause i couldnt handle all the horrible symtons my pulse was running 100-120 which was high and it says depression comes with hypo so could this be true ?somedays im as happy as can be then i have days where im very depressed and does stress cause some of this should i wait to see endo and see when she upps my dose to see if the depression goes away cause i dont want to take them if i dont have too i do have falling down spells and cant leave my house so who wouldnt be depressed someone once told me that the agraphobia would cause the depression and last time when i saw my gyn he put me on 50mcgs of synthyrold and i did fine on them its when i went to a internal and he upped me to the 75s when i started feeling bad i also take xanax 1 mg i take 3 aday thats prob a bit too much but i dont know how to get off them the 5s make my chest hurt horribly and with drawls are terrible so should i give it a little more time till i see endo to see if depression goes away and maybe the panic will ease off too but then again i havent had a period since dec 06 so it could be menopause but then again it coukld be hypo and iam on the low dose right now .i get labs 1st of aug and see endo aug 9th..
any advice here would help......
thanks vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 07-12-2007 at 06:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
(female)

momof3rbd HB User
Re: can being hypo thyrold cause depression and severe panic disorder with agraphobia

omg u sound just like me I have hyothyroidism-suffer anxiety, panic attacks and fear driving always wondered if connected--all symptoms started somewhat at same time wow thought I was only one I know and understand exactly how you feel .I take 1mcg synthroid, paxil and xanax

Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Re: can being hypo thyrold cause depression and severe panic disorder with agraphobia

I'm on levothyroxine 75mcgs. Even though I had severe depression episodes in the past I didn't recognize the symptoms of my last one. I was at the MD's for a routine blood test and they discovered the hypo-thyroid. Likely it was one of the reasons I was suffering such severe depression.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

Having been hypothyroid for about 15 years I can tell you that low thryoid can cause depression. Hyper thyroid or over medicating with thyroid replacement can cause anxiety. It is usually one or the other. You don't get both. I was okay on 150mcgs and went in for my annual blood work. the dr decided I was a little on the hyper side and lowered my dose a bit. For about 8 weeks I went into a moderate depression. My psychiatrist thinks it was my body getting used to the lower dose. I didn't feel hyper and am thinking about going back on the original dose. The change is so small. Hope this helps. Godbless

Old 01-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
(female)

lynnie74012 HB User

I to have been put on 75 levothryoxin and I have been so depressed, crying, hard to focus. I was put on gabapintin that made me even more depressed and volitale. Gabapentin was for pinched nerves from disc diease. So weened off of Gabapintin I will deal with the numbing pains, the side affects of Gabapintin 1200mgs was a NIGHT mirror. Now still feeling depressed but not as severe no longer angry. Oh I also had my uterus removed 6 months ago and found out I was not on enough levothryoxin. The depression of just crying when trying to do my daily roution, very difficult. Lost interest in all things I use to enjoy. Going to see doc 2/1/10. I WAS NEVER A DEPRESSED person until the 75 levothryoxin and my uterus removed... I think it is conected.

Last edited by lynnie74012; 01-28-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Closed Thread