It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
(male)

Pastorofmuppets HB User
Social phobia

So, I've been dealing with some serious psychological issues and just kind of want people's ideas on my situation.

I found out about 6 months ago I was on the verge of becoming type 2 diabetic. I am reactive hypoglycemic which means when I eat carbohydrates, 1-2 hours later my blood sugar drops due to the super high insulin levels from the carbs. I had been that way for about 2 years before I realized what was going on. Random, serious panic attacks and low blood sugar episodes.

So, 6 months ago I began the "ketogenic diet". Basically I only eat meat. It's the only thing I ever eat, and it has completely stabilized my blood sugar and lowered my insulin to the basal/minimal amounts normal people would produce. The panic attacks are gone, and my depression has completely disappeared.

For probably 10 years now I've been dealing with some serious social anxiety problems. It was to a much lower degree in high school (I'm 23 now) but after school (and in conjunction with the blood sugar problems) it got worse and worse. I secluded myself from people and grew seriously phobic to the point where, now, I can barely walk in the grocery store because I'm shaking and afraid of everybody.

I'm even afraid of my roommates, and have issues around them.

For a while I thought that the blood sugar problems caused the mental issues, now I'm suspecting that the mental issues and the stress that comes with this is what caused the blood sugar problems.

I can't take medicine, obviously, because I can't have any carbohydrates...medicine usually has some form of sugar in it.

I did have a rather abusive mother growing up, and now have serious issues with women which I can't seem to resolve....

Anyone else out there with social/people phobia?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Social phobia

Hi there Pastor,
I'm so sorry for what you are going thru right now. You cannot continue to live your life like this. You remind me alot of my daughter, who is now 22. She had a social phobia that started when she and her boyfriend were out to dinner and a group of young people took pictures of them with a camera phone and emailed it to somebody and were all laughing. It broke her heart and mine. She broke up with her boyfriend and pretty much spent all her time in her room on the computer. I think it was the yr before she started college. Anyway, she started Lexapro and went to a therapist for about 6 weeks. I saw a major change in her. She was always shy an still is but I heard her laugh again and realized how long it had been since I heard that. Now 4 yrs later, she graduated from college and was diagnosed with type II diabetes. That threw her into a depression because she had to make a major change in her eating habits plus once you have it, it is pretty much a life long deal. Anyway, I don't see any reason why you could not take Paxil or Lexapro. I took Paxil for yrs for anxiety and it did help. It is also known for helping with social anxiety disorders. The doctor prescribed an anti-depressant for my daughter and she actually has the type II. There is no way those little pills have enough carbohydrates to have an effect on your diet.
Please make an appointment with your doctor to discuss this. You sound like you are getting worse and I'm afraid it will only continue to worsen.
Best wishes for a life free of phobias!
JB

Old 10-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
(female)

sylviad HB User

Granny0:

I'm sorry if I'm prying here, but your post compelled me to reply. I feel bad for what happened to your daughter, and I'm amazed that it seems there was a trigger incident (the restaurant situation) to her social anxiety. You see, I have been fairly socially anxious ever since I was little, in part because my mom had very high social expectations and I was naturally shy. But I always thought that what really triggered a great deal of anxiety within me was an incident that happened to me a few years ago.

I was working with a couple of old high school teachers of mine -- at the time, and even still, I would like to become a teacher. I was nervous, and they did not make any effort to try to accomodate me in the class. Some of the students new my brother, and started talking aloud, TO my supervisor and to other students, about where I live and how geeky my brother is. My supervisor did not chastise them, only chuckled along with them. This was in front of a full class of students who, at the time, were only three years younger than me.

I was embarrassed, and the experience haunted me so much that I became too nervous to handle it. I continued my work there because at the time, I needed the hours for teacher's college. One of my supervisors even commented in front of the class that if I wanted to be a teacher, I needed to speak up more. I know it was my ex-teachers's faults, and their own laziness, that prevented them from accomodating me more and enabling me to take on a position of power in the classroom... but it affected me deeply because of how they treated me.

I didn't know until your post that it was even possible for a trigger incident to start social anxiety. I always thought it was just solely chemical or not, if that makes sense. Your post has been an eye-opener.

Pastorofmuppets:

First off, love the username.

I've been contemplating taking medication for social anxiety, too. I'm still not sure whether I will even bring it up to my doctor. In fact...... I think I'm too shy to do so. Hahaha. Pretty sad, eh?

I don't think my anxiety is as bad as yours... I can go to a grocery store without shaking. However, I have a very deep-seated fear of doing something foolish in front of people, even at places like the grocery store. It's especially bad, because I generally DO stupid things when in public... like (for the sake of example) not knowing how to use a particular photocopier, or something like that. My lack of social interaction has only caused me to further sink into my shell, and to lose "common knowledge" about social interaction. I lack the ability to even feign presence or hold a conversation, and cannot manage to ask a question without feeling worthless inside.

What to do, what to do... I very much hope that you get better, and it seems by Granny0's post that you will be able to take the medication.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User

Hey Sylvad, I'm pretty much an open book although my daughters don't like me talking about them. My daughter was always shy and in the shadow of her sister who is a yr older. Older sister was always pretty and popular. The daughter that had the social anxiety was never real outgoing but it did not stop her from doing what she wanted. She is super smart and that was something that gave her confidence. Yeah, until that episode at the restuarant. I have no doubt that triggered the social anxiety because it was so soon after that that she dumped boyfriend and pretty much gave up social life except for college, where she went to class and did her work, did not socialize. Sooo, the Lexapro and therapy were a big help for her. She'll always be shy, that is something that I don't think changes in people.
I tell people who think others are always thinking bad of them (this is after high school) that nobody pays as much attention to you as you fear they do. Most people are wrapped up in themselves or worrying about the same thing.
I hope you see your doctor and get something that will help!
Best Wishes,
JB

Closed Thread