It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
(male)

Order66 HB User
Wierd Phobias and us that suffer/panic from them.

Hi,
I was just wondering if anybody else out there has any real strange phobias that they actually have panic attacks from. For example, I have a Fear of Infinity. If I dwell on that for to long or dream about it..well lets just say valium is in my imediate future. The same can be said for evey once in while I will panic and think I am going crazing because I will wake up and actually fear the amount of space between me and any other object in the room and/or house, planet..etc That can be very very crippling. I am in the military and one time that affected me in a military class out of the blue. I had to be taken to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack. It was my first full blown panic attack.
Every since then, I cant stand heights or the thought of having space under my feet. Like being in an airplane and knowing there is nothing under the bottom of the plane until the ground. Or in more extreme cases, I will freak out to think I am on a big floating ball (Earth) and there is nothing underneath it but forever. So my feet, then Earth then nothing. That is not a cool feeling. Also, I panic when things repeat. Either sound or images or events. My worst fear regarding this would be walking lets say through a door just to find myself back on the same side of the door that I started on and repeat the whole process of walking though it again and again and again......
Thanks for reading and please let me know if I am not alone which I know I am not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Order66; 11-12-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to say a few things

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
(female)

shfiven252 HB User
Re: Wierd Phobias and us that suffer/panic from them.

I suppose that what I'm about to say isn't really a phobia, but for some reason, every night for the last several months I've dreamed that I lived in my parents' house which is in another state. I always have these dreams right before I wake up in the morning, and I wake up in a state of panic because I don't know where I am. It takes me about 10 seconds to absorb my surroundings and realize that I'm in my apartment where I've lived for over 2 years and that nothing horrible has happened to me while I slept!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
(male)

Order66 HB User

And that's consistant? wow I do that sometimes. But not often. maybe once a year. It does scare me though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
(female)

shfiven252 HB User

Yes, every single night/morning for the last several months. I wake up expecting to be in my old bedroom back home, and instead I'm in a "strange" place--which isn't so strange at all! I wonder what a person who specializes in dream analysis would say about that

So, have you tried any CBT? I've never tried it myself, but I've heard from some sources that it can be very helpful for phobias.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
(male)

Order66 HB User

Wow, I dont know what they would say about your "waking expierences". That has to be scary though. I bet it feels like your mind is going to crack then POOF! your in the right place. I would hate that.

Yea, I tried CBT. It wasn't very helpful though. My fears are selective to timing and in the moment. I can think about it one moment and its as smooth as thinking about a chocolate sunday. A week from now the same thought causes my feelings and thoughts to become totally irrational. Not to mention its hard to place the infinity part into perspective. Even when discussing it. Its more a feeling that cant be put into verbage and even then the moment has to right for me to fear it. While awaking from sleep can be the worst times.

Last edited by Order66; 11-12-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
(female)

shfiven252 HB User

That's too bad that the CBT didn't work. Although, it sounds like we've got one thing in common, and that's the panic when waking. I wonder if there's anything that can be done about that.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
(male)

Pickles Pig HB User

Weird phobia...Where do I sign in? Every panic attack I have ever experienced has been situational, I have never experienced a panic attack that has come out of the blue. What's worse, my phobia is easliy encountered during regular, everday living, yet it's not predictable.

I am not comfortable disclosing my phobia, but let me give you an analogy. Imagine if every time you smelled cigarette smoke (either directly or on a person or object), you had the same reaction as when you start thinking about infinity. Now imagine all the avoidance behaviors that would follow from trying to avoid that smell. The worst thing is, it's not predictable, you can encounter that smell almost anywhere.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
(male)

Iceman30 HB User

Panic attack triggers (quite strange):

1) reading out loud in front of others (it's not because I'm illiterate at all).

2) telling stories in front of others

3) can't find the right word when I'm talking to someone

Yes, I know...I'm crazy...lol

Last edited by Iceman30; 02-04-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
(male)

Alexis13 HB User

Yes indeed. I struggle with thoughts of floating away, and feelings of deep insecurity when my thoughts dwell on this planet being surrounded by endless space. This all occurred while driving by myself on a 10-hour trip. I got really light-headed and eventually succumbed to panic attack. I had the feelings of strong depersonalization/derealization and the crazy fear of my car not staying grounded to the Earth. Whew - bad bad times.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-04-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: The IM function is turned off on these boards. Ms_Mod

Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
(male)

Alexis13 HB User

Order, what about this? When I was at my worst with panic, I freaked out about what it means to say that something is west, east, etc. In otherwords, the idea that a satellite dish, say, is turned to the southern sky, caused my mind to flip out. I questioned and despaired over what directions really mean if everything is relative.

Also, I freaked out over people's faces. I remember thinking: how odd that people look the way they do. And I would become fixating on a part of the face and that part would seem so odd looking. But not like you would find someone ugly, more like you don't even understand the point of why we look the way we do. Very damaging, damaging stuff to have your mind get hung up on.

I think I know just what you mean about your worst fear being walking through a door and not having it be what you logically know it will be. I think that is what you're describing. What if, something that should happen, would not happen? And this 'what if' drives one to the edge! The thought of being trapped and not breaking free is maybe the worst suffering there could be - at least one of the worst mental types of suffering.

As a teenager, I remember (and still feel from time to time) this terrible dread of being dead, but not quite dead. And having no one to help me out of that limbo type state.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-04-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #11
(female)

uanicole1703 HB User

I have the same phobia about space like when i'm in an airplane and knowing there is nothing below my feet and the one about people's faces. Sometimes when i'm out in public, I will look at people and then start imagining what their lives are like and just all sorts of deep thoughts and it makes me panic. It's really hard to explain it in words. If i haven't seen a family member in awhile it takes me awhile to get used to their faces because it's almost like I have dreamnt about them and then they suddenly came to life. I know it's weird. I also start thinking about the mechanical aspect of objects and how things work and it's the deep thought that just gets to me. I think knowing that there are things out there "bigger" than me and more powerful than I could ever think bother me. Alot of panic attacks are about control and not having it over situations.

Oh, I also have a weird phobia of inclines. I have nightmares about being inclined in cars traveling up mountains or on a rollercoaster. Just really odd stuff!!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
(female)

endthishorror HB User

i used to freek out when i thought about the concept of existence, time, religion, pregnancy (as in, holy crap i could someday have a baby growing inside of me), pretty much anything could set me off into a though cycle that was never ending.
After a while I just subconsciously trained myself to stop before i started. It's weird.
Also I've come to realize that it doesn't matter and i don't care, I'm going to live my life (or whatever else this could be) and try to focus on the things that matter (or don't, haha.) Just do what you can to make yourself happy. Paint your thoughts and leave them on canvas, or write them and leave them on paper. The way i look at it is, I hate my thought cycle, but I'd rather have these thoughts and be able to philosophize than walk around aimlessly like the rest of the general public.
Panic disorder a lot of the times effects really intelligent, creative people. We have wild imaginations and we question things, that's why we panic. Don't get frustrated, just accept the fact that you are different and embrace it. I know, easier said than done. Right now I am pretty sure I'm going to die from a heart attack so i know, i know. I know that tomorrow i will most likely wake up, still alive, and be fine though.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
(female)

rhoda1 HB User

I have/had the same thing - thinking about existence made me agrophobic for months.
I felt like I was going crazy...Started on Xanax ( which ive been off for years now ) and I finally started going out again. Sometimes I get it back - when Im stressed/depressed etc. Its hard, I know

Closed Thread