It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003, 06:16 PM   #1

VeryConcernedMom HB User
Question Clausterphobia

I have never had too much trouble with phobias until fairly recently. When I was younger, I used to go spelunking (caving) all the time with only a twinge of fear, and that's only if I thought about it too much. And its less a fear of small spaces by themselves than it is a fear of spaces made smaller by other people, especially if those people are blocking the exits.
I have always had a problem with crowds, but I could tolerate them for a while before panicking. Lately, however, I have noticed that my tolerance levels have decreased and I can't stand being in closed in areas with lots of people for more than an hour or so. It is almost impossible for me to shop in grocery stores with narrow aisles or to sit in church during the entire sermon.
In the past I have found that facing my fears was the best way to deal with them, but in this case, it doesn't seem to have any effect.
Anyone out there with a similar problem?

Old 08-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #2

cshore HB User
I am clautrophobic also ... hate closed in spaces... crowds, elevators and I don't like concerts, football games or anything like that where there will be big crowds.. I also like to know where all the exits are....but I Just went to the American Idol Concert, my first huge concert in over 20 yrs and there were 10,000 people... and because I took a Xanax I did fine. I only take them as needed and those are the kind of circumstances that I take one in. Oh and also if I fly...
Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User
Hey there. I am also Claustrophobic. I went to the Vans Warped Tour like in June, and I think I almost went crazy. I never ever want to go to a rock concert ever! I actually had a couple panic attacks, so I didn't really help myself too much there. I find facing this to have an opposite affect on me. It makes me fear it more. It's not to the point where I CAN'T get out. I can't do things..like concerts, any type of games, stuff like that. So I'm sure you're not alone. Hang in there. Take care!
Upshutter

------------------
~I am but one small instrument~
~Smile, you live longer~
Paradigm shift to proactivity saves lives.
A smile will save this world, some of us just don't know that yet.

Old 08-26-2003, 06:43 PM   #4

BlueMonday HB User
What you described sounds more like agoraphobia- fear of crowds and groups of people. Perhaps something happened, even something as minute as a nightmare, that could have triggered this fear. Were you traumatized by a certain person? If so, you probably would've related that back to your problem, but it's just an idea. If it's turning into a big deal, then you might want to see a therapist to put you on medicine for anxiety.

Old 09-07-2003, 11:08 PM   #5

dva HB User
agoraphobia is the fear of leaving the house

Closed Thread